You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: A Little Privacy, Please?

Real Ghost Stories

A Little Privacy, Please?

 

One of my former offices was in one of those more environmentally friendly buildings, where the toilets flushed automatically, the sinks only came on when you put your hands in front of the sensor, etc. At first I thought what was happening to me in that building was due to mechanical malfunction, but I no longer think so.

It took a few months for anything out of the ordinary to happen. I would go to the restroom with no strange occurrences. Just your run-of-the-mill public restroom. Then, one day, my co-worker was leaving the restroom as I was entering. I am positive I was in the room alone. As I was in one of the stalls, the automatic sinks came on. Then they turned off. Then they turned on again. Weird, but again, I figured it was the mechanics somehow malfunctioning. I went back to my desk and didn't think anything else of it.

A few days pass and I'm back in the restroom. Alone. This time, the toilets (I believe there were 4) started flushing. All at once, over and over. That one startled me a little, but still - those auto flush things barely work right on most days. I went to the sink to wash my hands, and the auto faucets came on. All of them. At that point, I admit I kicked it into a higher gear and got out of there at a brisk pace.

The next time I had to visit the restroom I was a tiny bit nervous. That time there were no crazy flushing toilets and no sinks turned on by themselves. But - I heard footsteps (like high-heeled shoes clacking on tile) walk across the floor, and I was alone. Perhaps it was a woman walking on the floor above me, but it did not sound like that - it sounded right next to me. As I was contemplating the odd sound, the toilet paper rolls fell to the floor in each stall. Every. Single. One. This was not a matter of I knocked it with my elbow - the paper from 3 stalls down fell and rolled across the floor. That really freaked me out.

After that, I started asking my co-workers if anything odd ever happened to them in the restroom. They all said no. I asked about sinks coming on when they shouldn't, etc. Again - they all said no.

These things only ever happened when I was there alone - and only in the bathroom. Never once did anything happen in my actual office. One co-worker very matter-of-factly said "obviously something is trying to make contact with you. Ask what it wants." A few others suggested it was my mom or dad (who have passed away). I brushed that off because why would my mom or dad contact me in a public restroom at work? Another jokester said it was Moaning Myrtle (Harry Potter reference).

Eventually I got used to the weird happenings - they didn't happen every time I went in there after I started asking around, but on occasion the stall doors would open and close. I was a bit too chicken to ask outright what the entity wanted with me. Now I feel kind of bad. I never felt threatened. Perhaps I could have helped.: (

Other hauntings by DestinyGirl

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from North Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, DestinyGirl, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-06-25)
Greetings, DestinyGirl.

As I read through the details of your account, the events escalated in intensity with each new event. This elicited a response from you each time, but I suspect that the perfectly-normal fear response was not the objective of the individual causing the events.

Now, for a moment, imagine that you're NOT the person who is being surprised, but you are the deceased individual who wishes to send a message. Each time you think you've been noticed, the person noticing you becomes frightened. Turning automatic sinks on and off would seem like a reasonable way to get attention without doing something drastic. Now, after a few weeks of this behavior, the idea hits you: She must think they're all electrical or mechanical faults! What doesn't need electricity in here? Toilet paper! Who could possibly be scared by a roll of toilet paper? I'll knock them *all* out of the dispensers so she'll know I'm here! --From the other perspective, these events seem far less traumatic; as the individual experiencing them, though, you must have become quite anxious every time you needed to pee!

Be honest: If you were to be accosted by a group or by an individual wielding rolls of toilet paper, you may be alarmed, but you would not be intimidated by the selection of weapon.

Just a few ideas for you to ponder.

Best,
Biblio.

P.S.: There is a phenomenon called SLIDers, also; people whose presence seems to have an adverse effect on electronic devices, but that would not account for the doors, the toilet paper, nor the footsteps. (I have a weird effect on advanced technology, but not on simpler devices.)
DestinyGirl (5 stories) (13 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-06-22)
Thank you, Randy. I had never thought of it that way. I know I'm more open to experiences than most people I know, but I never thought about how my own energy influenced anything - and it makes sense!

Thank you for that perspective!
RANDYM (2 stories) (266 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2017-06-22)
Hello Destinygirl

Let me give you a totally different thought.
Have you ever considered that since it only happened to you
That it was you giving off an energy that caused these things
To happen?
Perhaps the first encounter was mechanical but it scared you
Enough to feel a little frightened when going into the restroom
The next time. Thus that fear caused you own energy to make the
Next events occur.
In the cases of poltergeist the person from which the energy
Come from doesn't realize they are the cause.

Just a thought to consider

Thanks for sharing
Randy
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-06-22)
DestinyGirl, lol sorry for the yikes! But yeah, it seems a bit inappropriate for an unknown entity to be mucking about in a public restroom, or any restroom. There are encounters on here in bathrooms which indicate the ghost was not meaning to harm/scare anyone. But something about the details of your encounter made me think along the lines of teenage behaviour, or even a bratty child.
As for knowing you don't have your phone on you, ha! Good thought! But I'd guess that would depend on the ghost/s lurking around observing everyone. I don't think pranksters are that thorough somehow. 😉
DestinyGirl (5 stories) (13 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-06-22)
Oh my gosh, Tweed. Your comment about more than one ghost made the hair on my neck and arms raise up. For some reason, thinking about just one ghost (maybe being confused or just mischievous) I can handle. Thinking about multiple entities - yikes!

You may be right about my co-workers. I know I sound a bit "wacky" when I talk about some of the things I have experienced, but others may not be so comfortable.

A thought I literally had just now for the first time - when it comes to public restrooms, I am anti cell phone. Leave them in your purse, pocket, etc. I never had mine with me because I would just leave it in my desk. Maybe the entity (or entities) realized that and knew they wouldn't get "caught" on recording since I never had my phone on me. Would a ghost even know something like that?
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-06-22)
Hi DestinyGirl,

I sort of wonder with this kind of paranormal behaviour if it's an immature ghost. Like one who's out to scare. Think that bathroom could've done with Rook's cleansing.😆
I wonder how they made all the toilet rolls drop at once. Immature or not, that's an impressive party trick. Maybe there was more than one ghost in there.
Sucks that it only happened to you, doesn't seem fair. Maybe your coworkers did experience a few things and didn't want to admit it.

Thanks for sharing 😊
DestinyGirl (5 stories) (13 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-06-22)
L_Melb, it was the falling toilet rolls that changed my thinking as well. One roll I could explain away rationally. But all of them at the same time? What are the chances of that happening due to some logical problem?

And the stall doors opening and closing is tough for me to explain as well. One door opening or closing could be a draft, loose hinge, etc. But all four stall doors slowly opening and closing repeatedly - and at different rates of speed - is tough for me to get past.

Argette, we all have moments of regret - some more intense than others. I am not wallowing in guilt, but I do sometimes think about what would have happened if I reacted differently. But I also believe everything happens for a reason. Perhaps if either of us had acted any differently in those moments, we would not have been prepared for the outcome.
L_Melb (220 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-06-21)
At first I thought, although strange, it was most likely some kind of technical glitch or what not.
The rolls all falling from multiple places in unison however makes me think something very weird indeed was going on.
Easy for me to say "oh, just a malfunction, no biggie" having been there and gone through x amount of bathroom happenings is another thing!
Thanks for sharing, L
Argette (guest)
+1
7 years ago (2017-06-21)
I'm very familiar with guilt, DestinyGirl, so I know what you mean.

About 20 years ago, I had the opportunity to stay at a well-known resort where a long-deceased family member had once worked. The family member loved it there, and was proud of being associated with the place. I felt something there, in a certain hallway. It was my first and only experience with feeling a presence. I was not at all frightened. I assumed it was my ancestor communicating with me. I was pleased.

Then, about 15 years later, I learned that this particular hallway, and the ladies room there, is allegedly haunted. I am sorry I never reached out when I was there to learn more.

Not quite like your experience, but similar.

Thank you for posting.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: