You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: My Mother's Study

Real Ghost Stories

My Mother's Study

 

So, it's been quite some time since I submitted my first story to this site, but I have always been lurking. I've decided it's time to document another one of my experiences.

I lived in the same house in West Palm Beach with my parents from the age of 2 to about the age of 23. One semi-common occurrence was that I would be sitting in the living room watching tv and I'd see a solid white shape quickly pass by from left to right, coming from our open sitting area and heading directly towards my mother's office or study room. There was about a five foot opening for it to pass by. This always happened very quickly, and I assumed I was just seeing things. Then, one night, both my parents and I were all sitting together in the living room. The shape passed by. All three of us looked at it at the same time. Upon realizing that we'd all seen it we shared that we had all seen it numerous times. My mother even said that sometimes it would stop in the middle of the open space and seem to look at her, but every time she looked directly at it, it would dash back into the study. We all acknowledged this, but honestly it felt harmless and never did anything else so we just lived with it.

Now, my room was directly next to my mother's study, but I never experienced anything there. However in the 90's when our house got our first computer and dial-up internet, I had cause to use my mother's study on occasion. For the first hour or two the room felt fine, but slowly a feeling of paranoia, tension and almost a feeling of anger would build in the room. It would get slightly colder and I would find myself looking around and swearing that I could see small movements out of the corners of my eyes. The small noises of things being moved would begin in the back of the room (this room was also used for storage so it was full of furniture and things). This would generally be too much for me and I would eventually leave. My mother spent more time than anyone in that room, so I asked her if she's ever experience anything like I did. She said that nothing ever happened to her in there. It wasn't a huge problem, it seemed rather confined to the room, so once again, I just let it be.

Now, my most frightening experience with this room came about when I was about 15 because my grandparents came to visit. Being family, they got my room and my mother put an air mattress in the study for me to sleep on. I had my apprehensions about sleeping there, but I told myself I was being stupid and I bit the bullet. As I lay in the complete darkness in that room on the air mattress, I quickly began to feel energy stirring and that angry paranoid feeling in my gut. Just sleep, you're being stupid, I thought. Then the noises started in the back of the room. Being interested in the paranormal as I am, I decided to wait it out as long as I could to see if things would escalate. The noises became louder and the feeling of not being welcome in the room increased. At this point I was getting quite frightened, I heard things shifting around on the shelves in the back of the room, and the room grew colder. Then it got more intense, I felt that whatever it was was now directly above me staring down, and it wasn't happy. This is when I heard something breathing. Something that wasn't me. I held my breath to make sure I wasn't crazy, I heard a long wheezy breath. The feeling of anger in the room was palpable now, It wanted me out. Needless to say I'd had enough. I dragged the air mattress into our living room and slept in there.

Several years later, my best friend married a woman who claimed that she could sense and often see and talk to spirits. She did always have some interesting stories to back it up and never bragged about it or used it for personal gain. It seemed to frighten her, although she said she was used to it. My friend and his wife came over to my house when I was 23 to pick me up, and my parents invited them in. We were heading towards my room to get something and suddenly my friend's wife points to the study and says "I don't like that room, something is in there". Now, I had never told her or her husband about any of my experiences in there, so I kind of just looked at her in shock.

I have since moved on and so have my parents, someone else owns the house now.

Other hauntings by EchoStrung

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Florida

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, EchoStrung, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

EchoStrung (2 stories) (19 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-25)
Thanks for the comments guys, I have a few more stories that will be on the way shortly.
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-09-25)
[at] zzgranny, lol I love the term youngsters and the way you clarified it for me. The term middle aged is just well old now. Lets go with youngsters. ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜Š
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
11 years ago (2013-09-24)
We don't like the term "middle aged" around here. We prefer "youldsters" (young'uns + oldsters) ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜†
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-24)
Echostrung, I've been 30 since this past April. We are young lol. And yea that's what I get from the spirit. You know it just wanted to be left alone. Because it seems it never really did anything to show itself, as far as reaching out for attention.
EchoStrung (2 stories) (19 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-24)
Spiritwaiting, you make an interesting, valid point. I never thought of it that way before, but it sounds like a very plausible explanation. Like I said this energy didn't strike me as harmful, just that it wanted to be left alone.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
11 years ago (2013-09-24)
EchoStrung - you may still end up in the "young adult" category if your luck is anything like mine LOL
EchoStrung (2 stories) (19 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-24)
Thanks for the response Miracles. I don't recall being asked my age when submitting the story, that could perhaps be the problem. My birth-date on my profile is correct though. Next time I post a story (and I have a few more) I'll be more attentive to the process.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+3
11 years ago (2013-09-24)
EchoStrung - do you remember what you listed as your age when you submitted your story? That is the basis for the age guideline. Some people, and this is not directed at you so please don't take offense ๐Ÿ˜Š just randomly list an age when they submit a story for many different reasons. Could be they don't feel it's anyone's business how old they are ๐Ÿ˜†, they are dyslexic with numbers (guilty of that myself), they put the age they were when the experience happened instead of how old they are now, they just plain lie LOL, or many other reasons.

But the guidelines, well, many of us complained about them when they initiated it (holding up hand). I didn't want to be considered middle aged, even though I am (48) LOL. It just plain sounds OLD!

I don't remember being told what the age guidelines are for young adult/middle aged/etc. But we are stuck with what they give us based on the age we tell them LOL. Welcome to young adult, EchoStrung ๐Ÿ˜†
EchoStrung (2 stories) (19 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-24)
I just noticed something here. Why does it say "the author is a young adult"? Can an admin help me with this? I'll be 30 this December, I don't believe I've been a young adult for sometime now.
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-24)
Echostrung, The spirit may have sensed your sensitivity to it, and thought that as a way of invading its area. Your mom probably never paid attention to it, as much as you did, so it most likely got aggrivated with you. It to me feels like it just wanted to be left alone. Nice to know there's another empath on the ygs site. Awesome experience! ๐Ÿ˜Š
EchoStrung (2 stories) (19 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-24)
Indeed, I never felt that the spirit was bad or meant any harm, just that it had claimed the room as it's own, and didn't like to share it.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-09-24)
How come I didn't pick that one up ๐Ÿ˜†.I had a feeling you could be a sencetive or empathic. I just don't know why I didn't write that before. That would explain why the spirit made contact with you. But usually a bad spirit truys to make its presence known not to just one person. It would show itself or play tricks with other people in the house. But it chose you, being a sencitive would make that easier on him.
EchoStrung (2 stories) (19 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-23)
Also, no she didn't tell me who it might have been other than it was a male presence, which is what I felt it was as well. I'm sensitive to energy, but she is psychic and much more susceptible to these things than I, so she refused to even enter the room.
EchoStrung (2 stories) (19 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-23)
That's quite possible Chris, however I don't think weaker is the correct term. I have always been interested and open to the paranormal and am quite sensitive. I can feel and be affected by energy, be it spirits or people with strong vibes. Crowded places for instance often fill me with anxiety. This has on several occasions attracted entities to me. Thankfully over the years I have learned methods to shield myself from these energies when the become negative.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
+3
11 years ago (2013-09-23)
wow that was pretty freaky. I used to hate seeing things in the corner of my eyes. If it wants to show its self then show it stop being a...spirit ๐Ÿ˜† but seriously I was lucky that it didn't ๐Ÿ˜,I woinder since your parents didn't feel or see anything is there a Chance that this spirit wanted to pick on somebody who was weaker?/ You know what I mean? Like the spirit chose you as a target. I might be wrong but I have a feeling that it chose you. Did your friends wife tell you who this spirit could have been?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: