You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Poltergeists / Physical Manifestations :: The Knocking

Real Ghost Stories

The Knocking

 

This was my first real experience with the paranormal, although as long as I can remember I have been fascinated with it, and read every book on the subject that I could find.

When I was younger, I used to spend every summer with my Grandparents (or Nanna and Pappa as my family referred to them). Their house was built in the 1940's and when my Great Grandfather bought it in the 50's he added quite a bit onto it. Both of my Great Grandparents died while they owned the house, though I don't believe either died in it. After they passed away my Grandparents moved in, and that is the history as far as I know. I always did get an odd feeling in the house, as if something was watching me whenever I was alone in a room.

This particular event occurred when I was about thirteen. My Grandparents had gone to sleep and I always the night-owl lay in the bed in my room watching television. At about 1 am, I decided to try and get some sleep so I turned off the television, turned off the light and lay in bed. Immediately after lying down, a loud, steady knocking began on the wooden floor in the living room. I consider myself to be very rational, so at first I assumed it was one of their dogs playing around. A few minutes went by and the sound continued as steady as a drum, and remained in the same place. Now my heart began to pound a little faster. I decided to investigate. I got up, turned on the light, and slowly opened the door to the living room.

As soon as I opened the door the knocking stopped, and none of the dogs were in that room. I got a cold shiver as I looked around the living room-it really felt like someone was in that room, watching me to see what I'd do. I closed the door and as soon as it latched the knocking started again. With a quick jerk I opened the door, and once again the knocking stopped. I repeated this process several times. The knocking sound seemed to be toying with me, as if it had some intelligence. I was terrified at this point, so I decided to wake my Grandfather. Well, he took awhile to wake, and when he did he wasn't very happy and told me to "go the hell back to sleep."

For the rest of the night I lay in bed staring at my bedroom door, praying that the noises wouldn't come closer to my room. The knocking continued until about 5:30 am when I finally passed out.

The next day I asked my Grandmother about it, and she told me that occasionally she feels my Great grandmother's presence in the house but never felt frightened. To this day I wonder what the point of the steady knocking sound was that night. Was it to scare me, or get my attention, somehow? If it was meant to get my attention why did it stop every time I opened the door, and why did I feel so frightened? I have had other paranormal encounters since this but this remains one of the more frightening ones.

Other hauntings by EchoStrung

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, EchoStrung, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

vanlewie232711 (1 stories) (42 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-30)
i wonder if the knocking wasn't the sound of an old rocking chair hitting hard wood floors? My Great Grandpa had a very old rocking chair and when he was able to sit in it and it was loud and annoying maybe when you opened the door you made them realize that you could hear them and seeing that you are family they did not wish to scare you but loved that chair and spot?
TJR (13 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-13)
We are a reputable paranormal research group that does these kind of investigations. If you are interested, we have plenty of equipment to try and get evidence and we do a professional job. We will document and verify every piece of evidence that is found. We do not charge the client for this. Afterwards, after we review all of our evidence we will send you a dvd of all the evidence we did find.
You can email us at acknowledgingsupernaturalspirits [at] hotmail.com
EchoStrung (2 stories) (19 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-16)
ChrisB, thanks for the comment. I'm still not sure on that, I felt strongly that I was being toyed with, and did later have another experience in that house.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-16)
I believe that your great grandmother wasn't rying to scare you. I believe the reason she was knocking was that she wanted you to know that she is looking after you and the family. I don't think she is trapped in this house. Maybe she just pops in once in a while to see how you are doing. Thanks for sharring. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
EchoStrung (2 stories) (19 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-15)
Rhodes68, yes I have had other experiences, but this was the first. At the time I was 13 (now I am 24). Only one other thing happened in that house though, the rest occurred in other places. I will try and write some more when I get the time.
Velvet (2 stories) (72 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-15)
Hmmm that is very strange, I wonder why a Great grandmother want to scare her own family. Perhaps it wasn't her. That is my take on it, I have had ghost scare the hell out of me at 4am. Not family feeling.
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-15)
Wow, thanks for the story. It might have been your great grandmother letting you know that you don't have to be afraid or feel uneasy, that she is still there in that house, and nothing was going to hurt you. That's just my opinion.
Thanks for sharing your story. 😊
Grox6 (2 stories) (51 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-15)
Wow. That's some story. Maybe your Great Grandmother is trying to tell you something or give you a sign that something is going to happen. If anything else happens tell us. And I believe you. 😊
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-15)
Despite your grandmother's claim that she has felt a presence in that house too, I was wondering if you have ever had any other experiences, similar or different, at any other time in your life and not neccessarily in your grandparents' house.

Thank you for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: