You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: My First And Shared Paranormal Experience

Real Ghost Stories

My First And Shared Paranormal Experience

 

This happened ten or so years ago when I was about nine, in my family home in Wales.

I shared a room with my sister who is a year younger than me. The room has a large window on one wall which had a big table in front of it which we would use for drawing. We had a bunk bed that stood in the corner that spanned the wall to the right of the window.

On this particular night, my sister's friend was sleeping over. After going to bed we chatted away for a while as friends do, before being tired enough to sleep.

This is important for explaining how this unfolded; the bunkbed was a double on the bottom and a single on the top, and I would sleep on the top bunk facing the window. The two girls were on the bottom bunk facing the opposite direction so we could face each other. My sister's friend was on the outside so I could see her if I looked down to my left. After chatting for a while, we all went to sleep.

I woke up in the night, and first of all I had no idea why. Moonlight was spilling into the room as we had no curtains. I can't explain why, but without hearing or seeing anything I could tell that the girls were also awake, but with the overwhelming sense that we had to be still and silent.

I looked down to my left and sure enough I could see the moonlight glinting off my sister's friend's eyes. I could see that her eyes were fixed staring at something to their right which was my left. So without moving, I looked to what she was looking at.

On our drawing table was a crouching figure. Despite the glow of the moonlight spilling over the drawing table, I couldn't pick out any of this figure's features. Only that it was about our size, but crouching or perched on the table and looking out of the window.

We were all frozen in terror. Somehow, as often happens despite being terrified we all managed to eventually fall asleep.

In the morning we all got up together and came down for breakfast without saying a word to each other, because we all knew that we had collectively seen the same thing. As we started breakfast each of us were eager to discuss what had happened the night before, but for some reason none of us wanted to be the one to bring it up. My sister's friend finally broke the silence (being the most outgoing of us) with, "So you saw that thing last night." To which all three of us commenced in describing exactly how we saw it and our feelings about it.

We all tried in all the ways to debunk it in every way; maybe the cat came in- no the door was closed, and the figure was way bigger. Maybe there was something left on the table- but the table was cleared after we were done with it the previous day. Although I would feel much more comfortable with it having been the way the moonlight looked making an illusion, the three of us saw the same exact thing from three different angles. This also goes for my attempted debunk of children's active imagination, we hadn't spoken about anything creepy or even said anything after waking up in the night on seeing the figure.

Despite all of our continued attempts to debunk or explain it, to this day it's an experience that the three of us share and still occasionally talk about.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, tancopps, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-05)
What an interesting story. And it didn't do anything to anybody, it just sat on the table looking out the window. Almost seems benevolent. Good story.
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-04)
tancopps,Thank you for taking the time to answer the questions. And yes the heirloom table may have a part in the experience. How long has the table been in the family? Is it possible to ask any of your family members whom have had the table in their possession about any of their possible encounters? You may recieve some interesting answers. Just a thought. 😊
mrfknbee (39 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-03)
Is their any history to the table or is it pretty modern and is their anything of certain interest through the window that would attract a spirit like a significant city landmark or a beautiful garden
tancopps (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-03)
Hello, thanks for your questions, I'll try to answer both. We would mostly draw at the table, but as far as I remember we had completely cleared all of our pictures away. The table is one of our few family heirlooms if that has any influence on haunting. While experiencing this I can only really say that I felt fear and tension. I haven't experienced anything else that I can't explain while living in the house. The figure definitely appeared to be crouching solidly on the table as opposed to near or above it.
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-03)
tancopps, This could have been a residing spirit of a child, or adult. Just curious as to what you were doing at this table. If you were drawing or doing crafts it may have been fascinated by this. Did you get a heavy feeling while it was in the room? Besides the feeling of being scared, while this experience was taking place. Did you experience anything else while living in the home? If so, I hope you write some more.

Thanks for sharing, and welcome to YGS.
Griff84 (5 stories) (289 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-03)
Hi tancopps, welcome to YGS!

This is a strange one, especially with you yourself not jumping to any conclusions about what the figure could have been, you clearly have thought about it. My first thoughts are that it could have been a shadow cast by the moonlight, but I'm almost certain you would have thought of this already. I wonder, did you experience any sort of activity either before or after this night, and did you pick up any sort of feeling or vibe with it? I think it could be a residual haunting, just being played out that you, your sister and friend have witnessed. Was the figure defiantly crouched on the table, or could it have been stood in the table, as if the table was not there?

Thanks for sharing 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: