You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Poltergeists / Physical Manifestations :: My First Apartment Alone

Real Ghost Stories

My First Apartment Alone

 

As most stories start out "on a dark and stormy night", I will bypass the horror formalities and just tell you exactly what happened. I had been living in Memphis TN for over a year, and at this time was living with a good friend of mine named Kari in an apartment complex in East Memphis. We got along fine, and greatly enjoyed living together, but due to the scorn of her local bishop, she was told that one of us had to move.

Seeing as how she had more furniture than I did, I decided to go and let her stay in the apartment. Mid-September I began looking for an apartment in the midtown area. Midtown is the artsy part of town where the bohemian "wanna be's", and young hippy art students live. LONG STORY SHORT, I found an apartment on the top floor of the ALTA VISTA complex on Poplar and Clark that fit into my price range. I moved out of the East Memphis apartment, and settled in to my new place.

This was my first time living completely alone. I had always had a roommate before, and I didn't know how I would handle the situation. But, as luck would have it after a few weeks I started getting comfortable with my new surroundings and started going out at night in the neighborhood to the local bars and clubs. Midtown life seemed to agree with me. I had made several new friends that came over frequently, so I spent very little time alone.

However, the night everything started, no one but myself would be witness to. It all began on a Saturday in October. I was lying on the couch watching television with my dog Cameron. He was a beautiful black lab I had adopted shortly after moving into Alta Vista. We were relaxing on the couch when I began to hear scratching inside the walls. This building was built in 1912 and although I had never seen any, I knew it had to play host to a variety of bugs and mice. I naturally assumed that's where the noises came from. And, I would have been satisfied with that theory if the situation had not suddenly exploded as it did.

Around 11:00pm I decided it was time for a shower before I proceeded with the evening's activities. I went to the bathroom, started the water running, removed my clothes and stepped inside the tub. That's when the scratching in the walls stopped and something started banging at the front door. I bolted from the tub and wrapped myself in a towel as I walked into the living room. "Who is it?" I called, but no one returned with an answer. Suddenly in front of my eyes the banging started again. It almost took my breath away. Whoever was on the other side of that door was banging with such force that it was shaking the door inside its frame. It was obvious that whoever was on the outside wanted in, and I was not about to give them permission.

"Who is it?" I yelled over and over. "I am not opening the door until you tell me who you are..." And, then the banging stopped. Seeing as how I lived on the third floor of the apartment building I looked out the window at the courtyard to see who was coming out of the stairwell. I waited for several minutes before realizing that whoever it was stayed in the hall. They did not leave. I jerked the door open and looked down the stairs. Still, no one. There was nobody in the stairwell at all. "How strange..." I closed the door and went back inside and called my mom to tell her what had happened, and for the rest of the night everything stayed quiet.

HOWEVER, every other night after that was interrupted with the loud pounding at the door. This was something I complained about frequently to the office, but being unable to identify the guilty person; my complaints went seemingly unnoticed. (FAST FORWARD TO LATE OCTOBER) By this time the pounding was a frequent occurrence being that it happened almost every night, but the only difference was now I had friends who had witnessed it firsthand.

One night before the situation worsened, I happened to be in the bathroom again brushing my teeth when the knocks started. I turned and looked down the hallway and could see the door being beaten so roughly that it looked as if it were about to come down from its frame. It had never been this bad before. It was always loud, don't get me wrong, but never to this point of pounding and shaking. I walked down the hallway toward the front room when out of the corner of my eye I saw a plaster figure that I had hung beside my bedroom door fly from the spot it was hanging and hit the wall opposite it. I was stunned. I could not move. I could not believe what had just happened. It came off the wall with such force that it broke a few of the pieces off when it hit the wall across from it. And again, just as before, the banging stopped. My first instinct was "get out, move, find a new place!" But, I was under a six month lease and would be charged a fine plus they would keep my deposit, and I planned on getting that money back one day. So I stayed.

After October had passed, I went to the supermarket to pick up some pumpkins for decoration in honor of Thanksgiving. I bought 5 of the big perfect gords and lined them up on the tops of my china cabinets. I went home for Thanksgiving. Cameron and I piled up into the car and took off to momma's house for the holiday. It was great. No banging, pounding, or flying objects. I came back home on a Monday.

I came into the apartment and threw my bag down. I went down the hallway to the bathroom to use the restroom. After I finished I emerged out of the bathroom and discovered that I had left my kitchen door shut. I turned the knob and pushed. Something was behind the door. I pushed again, and something was definitely on the other side of the door blocking me from opening it. I PUSHED HARD! And, got it open. I looked behind the door and discovered one of the pumpkins that I had placed on my china cabinets had been hurled at the back of the door. You could see where it had hit, where the guts has splashed out, and where it slid down on to the floor. I panicked as I looked around the room. I saw that all my pumpkins were lying in the floor. HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN? No one had a key. There were no signs of forced entry. I felt like I was losing my mind.

Well, sad to say after this huge ordeal, I did wind up breaking my lease and letting them keep my deposit. I never slept in the apt again.

PS: I forgot to tell you about the pantry. You see, I didn't have air conditioning in that apt and it got very hot in the late summer, but I had discovered that the pantry in the kitchen was ALWAYS cold as ice FOR SOME UNKNOWN REASON. So when I would wake up sweating at night I would take go stand in the pantry. ALSO, I caught the dog staring at it on several occasions and growling. The whole situation just creeps me out.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Tennessee

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Justin, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

BPOOH229 (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-03)
I also live in Memphis and I have heard of many homes in the Midtown area being haunted.
Dan (1 stories) (51 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-02)
I think the pantry was the home of the spirit and where it went. Sounded very annoying. I'm glad you and Cameron were not harmed. Dogs can sense spirits better than we can so the fact that he growled at the pantry must have meant that something was definately there. You did right to move. Did you tell the guy in charge of the building?

Anyway thanks for sharing your story.
supernaturalguy3710 (17 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-28)
what you described sounds like a poltergeist. The fact that the dog was staring and growling at the pantry was important, because dogs sense spirits better than humans. The pantry was ice-cold was most likely because that was where the poltegeist resided when calm.
LittleDaisy (2 stories) (6 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-28)
Wow Justin, that is really creepy! I think I would want to get out of there after the first time something started banging on the door!
BlueDemon150 (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-02)
😊 Wow! That was some experience. I was thinking of getting my own apartment (for college) but it's required I house the first year on campus. I know my biggest fear when I get my own place it having an unexpected visitor. Scary. Just a simple word of advice: whenever you move into a new place, in the future or if your living somewhere now, just do a simple blessing over your apartment/house. You never know what happened there before or what negative energy lingers there. I know that's my FIRST thing I'll do when I get my own place. ^_^ Take care.
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-26)
Nothing is so bad I think then to be frighten of something you can't SEE, TOUCH or get help to get rid of. Being in the blind of the unknowning.
Cersed240 (2 stories) (26 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-06)
Maybe you should look up the newspaper archives in the area. There might be mention of murders etc. At that apt. Maybe the local library. Some states I believe they have to disclose that kind of thing before buying houses. I wonder if it's the same for renting of apts.
Justin (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-10-05)
I found a picture of the Apt complex, does anyone know how I can attach it to my story? There is only ONE in existance on the net and I JUST found it. Any clues how to get it up there?
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-26)
Well, Justin, thanks for sharing your story. That was a really scary experience! I would have been scared to death, as a matter of fact, you've given me chills as I read this! I'm glad you moved out of there, your nerves must have been frazzled. Mine would have been! Hopefully 'the man' won't bother the young lady who moved in.
Justin (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-22)
Thank you all so much for reading and taking interest in my situation. I had no idea that it would get any response. It was truly a hard and difficult time for me. There is nothing worse (to me) than being afraid and not knowing what to do to take care of the situation. There is no absolution. Anyway, I did find out that a girl moved in sometime after me, and she as of yet has not complained of any untoward things going on. All the best to her, but you would not catch me there alone again. I know that a siprit can't hurt you, but they can make me hurt myself...LOL
Abby (710 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-22)
Dear Justin,

You are lucky to have moved from that flat and though you lost some money, it was in the long run, the best for your own overall physical and emotional health and well being. It also provided a life experience to learn from, as well as a memory to remember. This memory will be there filed away for further knowledge and use, as in this present sharing of your story here. Now, you will know what to do if ever there is a next time.

By the way, sometimes it takes more than one blessing event to help cross a ghost over to the other side.

Justin, I am impressed, I don't know a lot of men who like to decorate in honor of a holiday like Martha Stewart style. ;) I also do not hear the term or word, "pantry" very often, if only by older adults. :)

Well, at least you are now safe, hopefully happy and living elsewhere.--Abby

P.S. I will send a pray on behalf of the past non-living ghost to help in a cross over.
Annie (202 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-21)
Justin, Thanks for telling your story. It was very well written. My feelings are that something very untoward happened there. I think it's awful that someone, unsuspecting moves into a place where there is unfinished business. I'm glad you got out when you did. Sorry to hear that you were unable to get any information on "him". But, from what you've written about, he sounded like a very angry spirit.
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-21)
Justin, thank you so much for responding to our questions. Maybe one day you'll come across the information you are looking for. Thanks again.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
Justin (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-21)
Needless to say I can't get any information out of the people who work there. The only glimpse of information I got was from the property manager who called the entity "The Man..." It was a cornor apt and according to her, a few strange things have been reported there, but she whold not tell me by who. She also said that I should not worry about "him" cause he never hurt anyone. I left out of the story that I had the house blessed by my rabbi (at the time), and it didn't seem to do any good. I was very frustraited with this situation to say the least. 😠
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-21)
Thank you for sharing your story with us. I would be interested to know what occured in that apartment and in that building to cause all of this activity. Something apparently did! Have you any idea if someone moved int the apartment after you? I wonder if they experienced these situations? I am glad no actual harm came to you and Cameron.

the pantry may make some sense. If what ever happened in the appartment, it may have been concealed in the pantry. Just thinking.

God Bless!
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-21)
Martin you are so funny. I do find this story truely interesting and very well told. I wonder just what could have happened in the apartment to cause such a large amount of energy to be expended on a nightly basis by this entity. Could it have been a jealous boyfriend who murdered his lover in a fit of rage and then killed himself? Justin moving in could have caused this jealous being to reappear. This could also explain the pounding on the door and the cold spot in the pantry. Could it have been someone who messed with things better left alone and allowed a powerful entity to become trapped in our world? One of the reasons I do not mess with ouija boards and things of that nature. Now my curious side is up. Maybe we could talk Justin into doing a little research into the history of the building and letting us know just what happened within its four walls. Maybe even providing us with the link to the info he uncovers. Thanks Justin for sharing your very interesting experiences with us.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
Martin (602 posts) mod
 
17 years ago (2007-09-20)
Whoa, very interesting story, Justin, thanks a bunch. This is really a poltergeist situation, in the broad and popular definition of the term 😨 (not in the "teenage girl having psychokinetic manifestations in a troubled family" definition).

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: