You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Last Goodbye By My Grandma

Real Ghost Stories

Last Goodbye By My Grandma

 

My grandma died when I was 17. She had been staying with us ever since I was born and helped raise me up along with my parents. So we were pretty close. She died of cancer 5 years ago. I was pretty shaken up by her death, especially as I had seen her suffering so much before she breathed her last and also as I had been with her just before she closed her eyes forever.

As tradition goes, we performed the wake, where, as most of you know, we have to watch over the dead person for at least one day before cremation. So ever since they brought my grandma's body home, I just sat there by her feet, and looked at her and did not talk to anybody. Everybody was worried about me and the next morning, at about 3am, my aunt told me to go and rest, at first I did not agree, but after everyone's insistence, I agreed. So I went upstairs and lay down on the bed. Odd enough, I fell asleep quite easily (I basically take a lot of time to fall asleep). But as I was a light sleeper, I woke up when I heard a noise. I was not yet fully awake and everything was blurry in front of me. But I saw someone before me. I could not see properly and they looked like a shadow. Normally, I am a big coward when it comes to ghosts and all, but I was not scared at that time, even though I got the feeling it was not a live person standing there in front of me. I sensed somehow that it was my grandma and she put her hand on my forehead.

After sometime, I heard someone coming upstairs and that shadow vanished in thin air. As soon as it disappeared, I could see clearly again. And I felt a peace inside me at that time. I think somehow my grandma sensed my sadness and by her touch, I felt like she was telling me not to be sad and she would always be there with me. I still remember that night and it brings a smile on my face whenever I think of that.

Two nights later, I was sound asleep. I always cover myself from head to toe while sleeping, whether it's hot or cold. Psychologically, I feel safe like that (I'm pathetic, I know). However, in summer, I use a thin cover. It's important I tell you this, you'll understand in a few minutes. In the middle of the night, I woke up and as soon as I opened my eyes, I heard my office chair make the sound that they usually make when someone get on or off it. My heart started to beat very fast. I closed my eyes quickly, but later I got a feeling that it was my grandma so I opened my eyes again but I did not remove the cover off my head (as I said I am a big coward). As the cover was very thin, I could see through it though everything was a bit blurred and I saw someone walking from the chair towards the door. As mentioned above, I was very close to my grandma, so I know the way she walked and that person walked exactly like her and the type of clothes she was wearing was just like my grandma (as my grandma always wore the same type of clothes). I'm sure it was not my mother, as that person walked just like an old lady would. As she was nearing the door, I kept telling myself "remove the cover Jenny (that's my name), look, it might be the last time you're seeing your grandma," and I still curse myself for not removing the cover. Anyway, as soon as she reached the door, she just vanished in the air. As mentioned above, the cover was very thin, so I still saw everything, though a bit hazily.

According to me, she came to see us one last time, before going wherever they are meant to go and the possible reason why both times I saw her in a blurred way is because she knew I was really afraid of ghosts and spirits and maybe she didn't want to scare me. As soon as I realised it, tears came rolling down my cheeks and I said to my grandma that wherever she was, I loved her and I knew that she loved me too.

Other hauntings by Jane01

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Jane01, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

fauzi17 (3 stories) (2 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-22)
I love this kind of story. Its not scary, but comforting.

Anyway,thanks jan1 for the story. I never have that experience, but my grandma did come to me 4 times. After that she never appear again, probably because she already ascending too high.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-20)
Well there are many individuals who say they can do it at will. I have experienced it few times in my life, however I have NEVER been able to enter that state consciously, I have only realized it within the dream (s) itself.

Astral Travel is something I can do 'at will', however if you ask me to teach you all I can tell you is HOW I achieve it... Different people do it different ways.

Respectfully,

Rook
Jane01 (4 stories) (13 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-20)
ok, I understand... But can people do that? I mean the lucid dreaming?
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-19)
CORRECTION...

During Lucid Dreaming the individual is not 'awake' but they have trained themselves to have conscious control over their dream... Making it harder for a spirit to communicate with that individual while they are in that state.

Respectfully,

Rook
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-19)
Ah, glad you asked...

Lucid dreaming is a state attained while you sleep in which you maintain control of the dream and what happens in it.

Astral Travel is a conscious effort to project our 'spirit' out of our body and into the Spirit realm (the Astral Plane). During this state our spirit remains connected to our physical body via a 'psychic cord' to use a simple explanation.

The individual performing either of these is fully awake during the time they are doing it... So they are not in a relaxed sleep state.

I am sure there are others who can explain it in more detail, but togas the 'nuts and bolts' answer. I hope it helps.

Respectfully,

Rook
Jane01 (4 stories) (13 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-19)
rookdygin: indeed I have a question. What are Astral Travel and Lucid Dreaming?
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-04-19)
Jane,

It is a belief of mine that spirits communicate with us via our dreams because it's easier than 'crossing over' into the physical realm for them. When we dream our 'consciousness' opens up and we are 'closer' to the veil and so spirits do not have to use as much energy to communicate with us.

PLEASE do not confuse this with Astral Travel or Lucid Dreaming as they are not alike... Both of those take conscious effort... While sleeping and being 'open' take no effort of any sort on our part.

Please ask any questions you might have.

Respectfully,

Rook
ghostdancer (2 stories) (13 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-19)
Try and communicate with her, ask her why she is still there. As I think she still has a emotional connection. Try and communicate with her.
Jane01 (4 stories) (13 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-19)
notjustme and sheetal: thank you very much. I am happy you liked the story... 😁
sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-19)
Thanks jenny sharing us such a wonderful story... Your grandma loves you lot and so she has came to you. You are so lucky that you got the chance to see her one last time. ❤
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-19)
jane01- thanks for sharing! I love family visitations. I'm sure it was your grandmother just saying goodbye and letting you know she'll be there as your watcher now. God bless!
Jane01 (4 stories) (13 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-18)
spiritwaiting: thank you... Yeah she was a wonderful person... She took great care of me when she was alive... She was a darling... Love her...

Ghostdancer: since then she appeared only in my dreams but she communicated with me via them, especially when something bad's going to happen. She doesn't tell me directly only via gestures and signs...
ghostdancer (2 stories) (13 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-18)
Have you seen her again since?
I bet she was a wonderful person especially if she visited you when she passed away I wish my grandmother visited me. So has she reappeared?
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-18)
Jane01, I love your story. I sympathize with your grief and pain after losing such an important person in your life. When I lost my grandpa i. Hurt for a long time for me. She sounds like she was a wonderful person in life as well as after! Thank you for sharing
Jane01 (4 stories) (13 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-18)
no she did not say anything... I guess she knew I would be too scared if she did...
ghostdancer (2 stories) (13 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-18)
[at] jane01, Thank you for uploading your story it was very touching, And was nice to here she decided to pay you a little visit before she had gone. Your grandmother I'm assuming did not want to startle you so she left you to be, But wanted to make sure she had said her last goodbyes. Did she say anything at
All?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: