You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Was that You Mom?

Real Ghost Stories

Was that You Mom?

 

Hi, everyone! This is a story about my first experience. My mom died in a bad car accident when I was 7 in 1989. I was extremely close to her and it tore me apart. At that time, I was taken away from the family I knew to live with my real dad and soon to be step-mom. I was at a point where I was having post-traumatic nightmares and trying to adjust to my new family, home, and school.

One night, I was asleep in my room and something woke me up. I opened my eyes and saw a smokey figure standing by my bed. Of course, I was about 9 and it freaked me out, so I turned to face the wall and prayed to God to make it go away; not thinking it could have been my mom there to comfort me. After praying, I turned back to see if it was still there, and it was gone... Oddly, I was not scared.

After that event, I got curious. I got up and went to the kitchen to see if I could figure out a logical explanation of what I had seen. I smelled by the stove to see if something was burning. It was in the middle of the night, so who would be cooking? Every knows about the first experience; you always try to think of a logical way to put things together, instead of just accepting the fact you just saw a ghost. I went back to bed, but I couldn't sleep. I kept asking myself, "Why didn't I ask if that was her, or tell her I love her and miss her so bad?" I guess I got freaked out in the moment.

I'm 25 going on 26 and I feel her around me sometimes, but most of all, I can smell her. Even if it's just for a split second. It makes me smile. My step-mom never allowed me to talk about her because she was jealous. I had held this in for many years until her and my dad split 10 years later. Then I met a woman in 2003 that I refer to as my adopted mom. She has a what I call the "sixth sense" with many more stories to come.

Thank you for allowing me to share this and I hope you've enjoyed it.

Other hauntings by Sandy

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Alabama

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Sandy, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

GlazeJonas (2 stories) (5 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-07-08)
Im sorry to hear that your mom passed away. I depend on my mom and I love her very much, I don't know what I would do without her. ❤
whitebuffalo (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2008-02-10)
Hi Sandy,
Sadly, step parents have the difficult job of trying to fit themselves into a ready made family. We make mistakes. I think in your step mothers insecurities she has done you a great injustice.
I am so sorry that it feels as if you had no "out", no way to express and release the extreme psychological trauma that you endured at such a young age.
I do think that your mother still comes around you to this day. She does it much differently now as she never intended to scare you the first time. She just wanted to envelope you in her love. She knew you were having difficulties adjusting and wanted you to know she still is there for you.
Thank you.
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-09)
Hi Sandy. You've gone through some terrible things in your life and at such a young age. My heart goes out to you. That was very unfair of your step-mother to be that way. I think it must have been your Mom coming to check up on you, she would never try to scare you on purpose. I'll bet she understood your re-action. I think she knew what you felt in your heart after you had your fright and ever since. It's lovely that she still comes around you, maybe she's more subtle since you had that first fright. I'm happy that you feel comfort and happiness from her visits, I'm sure she loves to see you smile. Also, I'm really glad you have your 'adopted Mom' to stand by you and be understanding and comforting. I'm looking forward to your stories still to come! ❤
Abercrombie (2 stories) (45 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-06)
I have step-parents too, and if my mom ever died, I wouldn't care. No one will ever stop me from talking about deceased family member if I want to. Someone might be backhanded! 😆 LOL. But I am so sorry about your mom and God rest her soul. Thank you for shring that story. I can understand you being frightened and praying. I would have thought back and regretted it too.
Sandy (3 stories) (48 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-03)
Thank you everone for your support. Feel free to e-mail me on any knowledge you would like to share. Thanks again! 😁
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-01)
I believe you received a wonderful gift. Your mom was letting you know she was okay and concerned about you as well before moving on.

I am very sorry to hear about your loss, and at such a young age. Your step mom should be ashamed not allowing you to share your feelings.

God Bless!
Shenny (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-10-01)
Hey Sandy,
I hope you're well.
I'm sorry to hear about your loss. 😢
I lost my mum at 11+...I'm 13 now. 😊
But the time my mum died I was away at a camp with my friends.
And something happened... I won't be able to type it all in this comment, s o I'll try and post a story. 😊

Take care and much love,
Shenny.
IamWAHID (2 stories) (22 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-01)
hey sandy,
we all have to die one day and infact your mom is at even better place than this world. But it is said that your loved ones always come to meet you and they will also be there when you die, to recieve you.
Take my advice, every thursday- when the sun is settin down- is the time when the souls come to meet their loved ones. So clean your house around that time, with some room fragnance and stuff. And don't forget to pray for them - Pray that her burden of the grave be eased out. And I am sure she will come to say thanks in your dreams.
and the true dream has to be one which comes when there is no Sun in the sky. Like late night or mainly the time before sunrise. And by the way... Never ever expect a dead to apear to you. They never come back visually! If you want to know more then let me know and I will send you something usefull to read.
take care.
IamWAHID
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-10-01)
Sandy, I am sorry to hear about your lose. I have been through something similar when my father passed away. They do come back to let us know how much they love us. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
Ambu (6 stories) (5 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-09-30)
My granddad past away as well 2 years ago. I see him all the time even smell him. He wears an arabian perfume and I think once or twice I've seen him. Maybe your mum wanted to see you because she was missing you. Anyway thanks for sharing that your story with us - it's really nice 😊
Patch (3 stories) (91 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-09-30)
I always look for a logical explanation when I see something or hear something, Just to be sure that it's something paranormal, I don't want to get freaked out for no reason.
PrincessKatie (7 stories) (420 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-09-30)
It could of been your mum coming to visit and showing you a sign that she is watching you no matter what. They do watch you everyday just to see how you are doing. Yes it was a sweet story. She will always be there for you you don't have to see her to believe but she is there. Aww this story is the sweetest story I have ever read. Sorry about you loss but one day you will meet again in heaven. 😊She wants to see you being happy not being down don't ever cry because she doesn't want to see you upset she wants to see you happy so don't ever forget. She will always be in your heart and you will always be in her heart. Thanks for sharing your story with us. 😊
omg444 (3 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-09-29)
that was a sweet story! Aww! Am so sorry for your lost! But I bet your mom is just looking over! Shes like your gardian angel!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: