You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Are You My Mother?

Real Ghost Stories

Are You My Mother?

 

Until I was about 10 years old, my family lived in an old farmhouse that was built in the 1920's. There were some minor updates made by the previous owners, but it was mostly original when we moved in. My dad did some work on the house here and there, and we had one major remodeling project done while we lived there. I mention this because I have heard that working on an older home can sometimes stir things up. I have lots of stories that happened to me while we lived there, most of which are not really scary per se, but just a bit strange and unsettling. The following story is the best example of the types of things that happened to me in that house.

My first clear memory of... I suppose a paranormal experience... Happened when I was about 7 or 8. I was often sick as a child, and I ended up coming down with strep quite often. On one occasion, I was sick with strep, lying in bed. My family was downstairs and I was upstairs with the door to my bedroom closed. It was nighttime and the room was very dark. Typically I did not like the dark, but I was so sick on this particular night that I didn't care. I did have a fever, but I couldn't tell you how high it was. I remember feeling so sick that I was not able to sleep very well. I dosed off here and there, but for the most part I was just lying awake, feeling terrible. The head of my bed was against the wall, and the foot of my bed was towards the middle of the room. I remember opening my eyes and seeing someone wearing white walk from the door of my room to the foot of my bed.

Initially I assumed it was my mother coming in to check on me, but then I started to notice things that didn't quite add up. I noticed first, that the white dress was so bright that it was almost glowing against the dark of the room. Then, as the person turned to face me, I noticed that she did look like my mother, but was taller, thinner, and had straight hair. Another odd thing was that, despite the fact that there was no breeze in the room. (we didn't have AC and there was no fan going at the time) the woman's dress and hair gently blew in the non-existent wind. She simply stood there and smiled at me. I was not afraid at all, but once I realized that she was not my mother, I did not know who she was, and she was standing at the foot of my bed all glowy and flowy, I did feel a bit startled. As soon as I had that startled feeling, she was gone.

Other hauntings by Anabelle

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Anabelle, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Yogg-Sothoth (3 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-04)
To be fair though, old is a very relative term, to you the building may be old, but there are plenty of houses much older
sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-08-20)
Hi, Anabelle I am agree with the other posters here... And I find this story sweet... Thanks for sharing 😁
Anabelle (2 stories) (5 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-08-18)
Dacom-There is something about those old farm houses... I think when someone works so hard and lives in the place where they bust their booty in order to put food on the table, at least a part of who their are gets permanently attached to the place. Also, maybe the farmer was just surprised that you sassed him, being a ghost and all! 😉
Dacom (3 stories) (28 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-08-18)
I stayed with my Dad at an old farm house when I was in my early teens.
One night I woke to what looked like an old farmer in overalls standing next to my bed.
At the time I thought it was the man that rented one of the rooms there, I looked up still half asleep and said what you doing in my room? Get out!
Then I turned away and went back to sleep.
The next day I told my Dad the man renting came in my room in the night.
He told me he had gone camping not long after I had gone to bed, he couldn't have.
I found out later that the old farmer that had owned the place had past away there and that was his room.
Looking back on it, He did have a look of what do you mean your room on his face.
Some times the energy the those past on can linger.
But it may have been a dream.
Anabelle (2 stories) (5 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-08-18)
I have definitely considered the idea that my fever caused a hallucination, although I'm not sure how high a fever has to be in order to cause something like that. I was VERY sick, but my fever was not dangerously high that time. I agree that there is no way to really be able to prove that she was there. I do think she was, though.

I never saw her after that, but I have this vague memory of her smiling down on me earlier in my childhood. I didn't include that memory in the story because I could not be sure if it is a true memory. (I was very young)

I have many more stories about that room and that house that I will submit as I put them down on paper. SOMETHING was definately going on. Whether my glowy, flowy friend was really part of it, I can't be sure. 😁

Thanks so much for reading and commenting!
elnoraemily (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-08-18)
BBJ, thank you so much for thinking the same thing I was. This is the second story that all I can see if that image. Mummy!

Since you did have a fever, it would be logical to assume that played a large part in why you saw the lady- but like BJJ said, we were not there.

Either way, it's a sweet story that someone, paranormal or not, came to check up on you.
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2014-08-18)
As BJJ says, it's difficult to label this as paranormal or hallucination. Did you ever see this apparition again?
I have heard many accounts of spirits visiting the sick. Too many to rule out that one checking on you as 'hallucination due to fever'.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+1
10 years ago (2014-08-18)
Firstly, I just want to say how happy I am that there are no little boys in gas masks in this story. 😆
On the one hand, I do know that high fevers can cause hallucinations, so I'm unwilling to say with absolute certainty that I believe this experience to have been paranormal. On the other hand, I know that ghosts are capable of curiosity as well as kindness, so I won't rule out the idea of a ghost checking on a sick child. You believe this event to have been paranormal, and you were the one there, so my opinion is irrelevant anyway.
I love the stories that leave me confused in the way this one did. Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: