You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Paranormal Experience, Or Paranoid Experience?

Real Ghost Stories

Paranormal Experience, Or Paranoid Experience?

 

To begin, I have read quite a few stories on this site, and I decided to submit my own, just to see if anyone might be able to enlighten me.

My father passed away in July of this year, after a one and a half year battle with cancer. He was in and out of treatment from January of 2013, until around April of this year, when they told him that at most he might have six months to live.

In May, he had a bad fall. It was rainy, and there was a nurse coming in daily to change his bandages. Because of this, the dogs had to be locked up. He went out on the doorstep to get our Yorkie-mix, and slipped and fell.

He was in obvious pain; you could tell that it hurt him when he walked, but, even so, it took a few hours before he agreed to let us call the ambulance (the only vehicle that we had capable of making the trip to the hospital was my car, which was too low for him to get in and out of comfortably). I followed in the car, and we were told that he had fractured his hip and would be there overnight.

My dad never got to leave the hospital. The cancer had progressed further than we had originally thought, and it finally won this July. After his service, that was when things started to get weird.

While he was in the hospital, he would call home every night between 8:00 and 9:00. He never missed a night. When the phone rang, the number always came up as "Private Caller" on our caller ID. A few nights after the service, the phone rang, somewhere between 8:00 and 9:00. The number came up "Private Caller." I hit "talk," and all I heard was a dial tone. There was no one there. We thought that was kind of strange.

Another strange event happened at a charity event that we went to. We went to the event in memory of my father, because it was a charity that helps local cancer patients. As part of the event, you could purchase balloons in honour of people that you knew with cancer, or who had died from cancer (yellow for survivors, red in memory). At a certain time during the event, everyone goes outside with the balloons, and they are released. It was a fairly windy day, and because of this, the balloons (filled with helium) were moving in the wind. However, the way that we were standing, they were only blowing backwards, and the wind wasn't letting up. My balloon suddenly starts hitting my mother in the head repeatedly. It was nonstop. We figured it was the way that the wind was blowing, so she moved. The balloon followed her. She even tried moving in front of me, figuring that with the way the wind was blowing, the ballon would stop hitting her. Yet again, the balloon followed her. It didn't stop hitting her until it was time for the balloons to be released.

Now, it is at this point that I should mention, that my dad was one of these people who liked hitting people with balloons. When I was a kid, and there was any reason to have balloons blown up, he would blow them up and hit us with them, which is why the above experience seems even stranger.

Two days ago, we got another one of those strange "Private Caller" hang up phone calls right around the same time as the previous one. My mother has also been having issues every time she drives my car. Lately, the back door has been coming open on her for no reason. I have no idea if this is connected to anything or if its just a problem with my car, but my dad would always sit in the back seat when he could, because it was "better on his arm than the front seat."

I know that dogs are sensitive to spirits, and that they can supposedly sense their presence, so I feel that I should also mention this.

We have two dogs, the above mentioned Yorkie-mix, and a Labrador/German Shepard mix. The Yorkie, being a small dog, is prone to bark at nothing, he always has been, but the Lab/Shepard isn't a vocal dog. She doesn't usually even bark when people come. However, probably 3-4 times a week, right around 8:00- 9:00 pm, both dogs have taken to barking like crazy. There is never nothing for them to bark at, or at least nothing I can see, but they both bark. The Lab/Shepard has two distinctive barks, her happy bark, and her "stay away from me, I'm vicious" (she's not) bark. The bark she always barks at this time is her happy bark, reserved for if she hasn't seen you in a while.

I don't know if any of this means anything, but if it does, I would love to hear your take on it.

As a footnote, I should also mention that it is fairly warm here right now, but the entire time I have been typing this, chills have been running up and down my body. I don't know if that has anything to do with this or not, so please comment and tell me what you think.

Other hauntings by Blizzards_Echo

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Blizzards_Echo, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

samtillie (5 stories) (242 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-10-13)
Hi, what a lovely story and when I read the bit about the balloon hitting your mum, I am very sorry but all I could do was laugh! Believe it is your dad and take comfort in it. He is around so quickly after passing just letting you know he is here still, popping in to say "Hello". The fact that your pets also react is very nice. Your first instinct I feel is always the right one when it comes to spirits. Sincerely sorry for your loss ❤
Calthrow (10 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-10-11)
I am sorry for your loss but it sounds like he is still with you and is trying to tell you this just let him know you hear him it will make him happy
Drowning_Sadness (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-10-09)
I'm so sorry for the loss of your father. I lost my mom to cancer a few years ago and a few strange events happened after her death too, so I know that all of the things you explained above is your father letting you know he is still around and looking after you.
allesgute154 (3 stories) (254 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-10-08)
Hi Blizzards_Echo, it's most definitely your dear departed dad. You're very lucky to have a caring parent looking after you from beyond the grave.
elnoraemily (guest)
 
9 years ago (2014-10-07)
I agree with Aggers that is all seems too coincidental to not be related to your father.
Aggers (2 stories) (30 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-10-07)
Well then you have your answer:)
Just embrace it. Maybe he is trying to tell you something, or maybe like I said, he's just making his presence known as if to say he is looking after you.
Blizzards_Echo (2 stories) (4 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-10-06)
Aggers,
Yes, the car thing only started in the past couple of days. If it had started sooner, I would have gotten it checked out, because I am one of those people who takes their car to get looked at the second it has any kind of problem, or anything that I think might be a problem.
Aggers (2 stories) (30 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-10-06)
I think it's your dad telling you he's looking after you:)

The car thing, did it only start after he passed? Yes? Then there you go.

So yeah he's just sticking around to make sure you're all okay, telling you there is nothing to worry about over there.
Blizzards_Echo (2 stories) (4 posts)
-1
9 years ago (2014-10-06)
THe car door was checked, and there was nothing wrong with it, no reason at all to explain why it came open.
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-10-06)
Thank you for sharing this heart-felt story. I'm sorry for loss. I do believe all the happening are signs of your father, except, and I do agree with Elnoraemily about the car. The phone call incident I believe is him because I have heard that spirits can use technology to commute and because it has happened to people I know as well after my ex passed. God bless your family and you.
elnoraemily (guest)
 
9 years ago (2014-10-06)
I am very sorry for the loss of your father.

There could be a ton of different reasons for what is happening, but really, I think you should take the path that is most comforting to you.

The car door should probably be checked, just in case, for safety.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: