You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: A Dark Hovering Presence

Real Ghost Stories

A Dark Hovering Presence

 

This is the first story I have submitted. I really don't have many experiences that cannot be attributed to coincidence or happenstance, but this one has stuck with me for decades. I was in my 20s, single, living in the Pacific Northwest where I had recently moved with a good friend. My family was far away, on the east coast.

I should mention that I had a very ill older brother, a sensitive soul who suffered from unrelenting depression, had tried to kill himself many times, and did eventually succeed. This incident occurred about five years before he died, during a period when his illness was great.

I was awake in the middle of the night, for no apparent reason. I had not woken suddenly. I realized that my room seemed unusually dark and it seemed as if the darkness was alive and hovering over me. I felt great sadness. Suddenly I became worried that something was wrong. Since my father had a heart condition, I wondered if he had died. But I shook off that idea and immediately thought of my brother. I found myself thinking, "This is what his pain feels like." Then the dark feeling/presence slid away from me, in the direction of my roommate's bedroom. I noted the time. It was 2am.

I would have written it off as a dream were it not for my roommate's reaction when I mentioned it to her. She said, "Was it around 2?" She stated she had not realized anything was there until she found herself thinking, "Oh, it's gone now."

I don't know if it was my brother, but something was there. It was not harmful, just very very sad.

Other hauntings by RitaCMW

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Washington

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, RitaCMW, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

elnoraemily (guest)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-21)
This one got me teary eyed. I am very sorry for your loss.

It does make sense, seeming how at the time your thoughts were that it felt like his pain, that the energy you felt was connected to your brother.

I agree with BJJ.
RitaCMW (2 stories) (16 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-20)
Thank you all for your kind comments. When my roommate & I discussed this, we considered the possibility that my brother had visited via a type of astral projection while sleeping. It is true that I was the closest to him of all our family members. I had invited him to visit me. His physical body never made it to the northwest, but I am thinking that a part of him did...
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-20)
RitaCMW- These stories sadden me. I am sorry for your loss. In a way I do envy the bond that you obviously had with your brother. I am in agreement with BJJ and agree that it may have been done (astral projection) without intending. I believe the bond between the two of you helped make that happen. Undoubtedly you meant a lot to your brother.

Thanks for sharing
spookie1 (5 stories) (72 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-20)
And sorry for your loss... I also know what it feels like to lose a sibling 😢
spookie1 (5 stories) (72 posts)
-3
9 years ago (2014-11-20)
Astral projection sounds really awesome 😆 Do you guys know how can I do it? 😁 It sounds fun 😁
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-20)
I don't know if you believe in astral projection, but I do. I think people sometimes do it without even realizing in their sleep. The late hour, combined with your feeling that it was how your brother must feel, makes me suspect he traveled to you in his dreams. Maybe he was just lonely, or perhaps hoping to find understanding of his emotional state. Either way, I think he projected himself into your home and his presence was intense enough to be noticed by you and your roommate.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: