You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Non Human Entities :: Weird Childhood Experience

Real Ghost Stories

Weird Childhood Experience

 

This happened to me when I was about 8 years old. When I was little I had a blanket that I'd had since I was a baby, that I always slept with. I would spread it atop my other blankets.

One night I'd gone to bed as usual and fallen asleep. I woke up in the middle of the night, I don't know why. Usually, I sleep like a log. The foot of my bed faced my closed bedroom door. As I looked at the back of the door, two spots of light appeared on it, about 5 feet up from the floor. They seemed to be swirling in a circles, a sort of greenish-grey light with sparkly bits in it. Sort of looked like an old-fashioned TV when the cable was out, like the 'snow' you'd get when that happened.

As I watched, these two balls of light popped off the door and became these small creatures, about two feet high. They glowed greenish sort of barrel shaped bodies, no necks and short arms and legs. I don't think their mouths moved but they seemed to be communicating to each other, I could hear some squeaky little sounds coming from them. One of them walked to the end if my bed. I sat there frozen, I was so scared I couldn't move. The creature started to tug on the bedspread, pulling itself up onto the end of the bed. I was clutching one end of my baby blanket - this thing started tugging on the other end. We had a short tug of war, and I felt my arms go rubbery and I let go my grip on the blanket. The creature took it, climbed back down to the floor. Then the two of them popped back up on the door, becoming the circles of swirling light again, this time with my blanket spread out in a square against the door behind them. They swirled around for a few seconds and then everything seemed to suck through the door - just disappeared. I could suddenly move again and dove under my covers, heart pounding, and shaking like a leaf. I stayed like that for a long time, and eventually must have fallen asleep.

The next morning I had forgotten all about it. Had breakfast, went up to get dressed, mum told me to make my bed. That's when I remembered the blanket and the weird thing that, by this time, I figured was a very intense dream. I looked for the baby blanket - couldn't find it. I tore the bed apart, looked between all the other sheets, looked under the bed, my closet, the laundry basket. I asked my mum if she took it to wash - she said no. I asked my brothers if they took it (they both said something helpful like 'no, I didn't take your stupid blanket!)

I started looking around the house, couldn't find it anywhere. I went down to the basement and there it was, hanging in the middle of the room from the ceiling - from the floor joists of the living room above. It wasn't attached with anything, just one edge of it stuck to the side of one of the beams and hanging down like a flag - like they wanted me to find it. I told my dad who didn't believe me. Never told anyone else until just a couple of years ago. I'm nearing 50, and remember it vividly. I swear this actually happened.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Farmfrau, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

shelbyloree (5 stories) (285 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-08-29)
I've read this a few times, wondering what was the point of them waking you up, whispering, then moving your blanket - so strange!

You start wondering not only what are they, but why are they messing with your blanket. Were they unable to transport it to wherever they came from so left it on their way? Or did they leave it there on purpose, etc. Brings up more questions than can ever be answered, definately.
Jaiicee (3 stories) (8 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-12-01)
Good story! I loved the bit about the blanket, it confirmed you were definately not dreaming.
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2014-11-30)
Farmfrau,
In a way, I find this enchanting; it reminds me of the old legends and stories my mother use to tell me. Which is no indication that I doubt your story, I don't. At 8, you probably weren't tall enough to reach the basement ceiling, were you? I wonder if that is why it was hanging down, so that you could retrieve it.
terranigma (9 stories) (71 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-30)
I think they are goblins or gnomes by your description. They are in old legends & fairytales as mythical creatures. I can't remember the correct term for them but they are said to be neither evil or good, just mischievous in the way they like to move things or play tricks on people. Some are also said to do chores & mend things for people but it is said they don't like complements. They also are said to be angered if you burst into a room or leave the house & go back in quickly your supposed to knock & make it known you are entering before you do.
AngeLeeS (8 stories) (20 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-28)
Sir, I just read the second paragraph of your experience and realized that my room mate (we were in India) had also seen the same little spherical lights spiraling on the ceiling. But we switched on the lights immediately and saw nothing & nothing happened.
And after reading the whole experience, I am sort of scared of what those may have been.
Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-27)
Perhaps the Celts were correct that fae are just a bunch of little mischief-makers. 😆
Clouds123 (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-26)
Wow amazing story, can't wait to here more experiences you've had over the years! Would love to hear them!
But for this story, I've never herd anything like it! The first thing I thought of was leperchnos of a knom, don't know if that would help you figure out what they were but it's a suggestion:)
Take care!
~Brooke
FreddyFazbear (1 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-26)
I believe these might have been mischievous spirits trying to scare you and taking your blanket and making it a little find the blanket game. Hope this info helps!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: