You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: He Still Helps Me

Real Ghost Stories

He Still Helps Me

 

It's time I share my favorite ghost story. My father was diagnosed with lung disease when I was a freshman in college. It was horrible news. He was one of those rare people. I never heard him yell, ever, other than when having fun. There are four of us kids in my family. I am third. He and I were always close. He was very technical but also openminded. He was the first to make me consider the idea that ghosts exist. Telepathy can happen, if you truly believe. And let's talk aliens. We could talk about anything. He lived 16 years after that diagnosis, the average is 10. We knew when he was going to pass. So, I asked him, "Dad. I have two questions for you. One, can I sing Amazing Grace at your funeral? And two, after you die, will you try to contact us? If you are cool with this, you and Mum come up with a word that only the two of you know. After you die, try to communicate it to one of us."

He immediately agreed that he would love to have me sing Amazing Grace. He was choosing his favorite poems, and things already. And then he said good bye. I was in graduate school in Arizona at the time but I am originally from New Hampshire, where he was as we talked. I felt very sad that he didn't address the contact after death idea after all of our diverse and open discussions. But I totally respected his wishes. In no way could I ever impose my ideas on such a huge human transition such a dying.

Two hours later, my mother called and said simply, "We have a word."

I started to cry, as I am now writing this. He just needed time to think. This was on a Sunday in February, 1994. He died early Tuesday morning. Needless to say it was a difficult time, and there was a blizzard making travel difficult. But I did sing at his service, and all went well.

A year later, at the exact time of his death, my mother's phone rang in the middle of the night, with no one there. My younger brother, at his own home 50 miles from my mother, was working at his computer, when his single speaker started to sound like it was coming from all around. And he felt it was my dad. Many other things over the years have also occurred clearly associated with him.

None of us "got" the word, though. A couple of years passed and I had started reading more extensively on energy healing. I do it in person and at a distance. So, my mother would often ask me to work on her friends in New Hampshire while I was still in Arizona. She was always the more timid one about alternative things. If I called my healing "sending white light" as I had been, she was comfortable with it. But after my father died, I learned many things about healing. A loving intent is the absolute most important part. We ended our phone call and I went about my day.

Later that afternoon, she called back, again a very brief, precise comment. "Dad is with you."

"What?" I asked.

"The word is "LOVE". Before Dad died, you always talked about your healing as white light. After, it always includes "love". ALWAYS. He is with you."

And I know to this day that he still is.

Other hauntings by Hecate0

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Arizona

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Hecate0, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-07-28)
Hecate, I think a friend of mine has that book! Or maybe borrowed it. She was researching language a few years ago and I recognise the Author's name. That's a great recommendation.
Manafon (4 stories) (74 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-07-28)
Hecate0--The Loom of Language sounds like a truly essential book. I looked up a few reviews of it and its approach and scope sound eye opening. I certainly could have used such a book while taking high school and college French 😜
Hecate0 (4 stories) (418 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-07-28)
Biblio, Manafon, Tweed and the rest of the languages conversation. I moved this post here because I want to recommend a book. I am going to write the rather lengthy description from the back, a 1944 book still in print called "The Loom of Language" by Frederick Bodmer. Perhaps you already have this Biblio. I just didn't want to detract from Manafon's comments and story.

"Here is an informative introduction to language, its origins in the past, its growth through history and its present use for communication between peoples. It is at the same time, a history of language, a guide to foreign tongues, and a method for learning them. It shows through basic vocabularies, family resemblances of languages - Teutonic, Romance, Greek - helpful tricks of translation, key combinations of phonetic roots and patterns. It presents by common sense methods the most helpful approach to the mastery of many languages; it condenses vocabulary to a minimum of essential words;...;it teaches language as it is actually used in everyday life.
But this book is more than a guide to foreign languages; it goes deep into the roots of all knowledge as it explores the history of speech. It lights up the dim pathways of prehistory and unfolds the story of the slow growth of human expression from the most primitive signs and sounds to the elaborate variations of the highest cultures. Without language, no knowledge is possible; here we see how language is at once the source and the reservoir of all that we know."

Then I will leap off the cliff and add that perhaps we have to include a need to start comprehending what communication methods might have evolved in other interstellar environments. Telepathy is a recurring theme in alien encounters. They tap into our brain's language, which is what happens to me when I tap into someone when doing healing. I pick things up in my own vocabulary.

Okay, I'll stop... Feel free to comment. Hope this doesn't get lost in the flood of comments...

😊

Hecate
eleiriel (9 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-04-30)
I loved reading this (grins) it was so heartwarming. That's a really beautiful experience. So awesome!
Hecate0 (4 stories) (418 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-25)
Tweed, I have two copies each of "What the Bleep..." and "Down the Rabbit Hole", the second one. 😊 Backup copies for when people do not return your movies. LOL. I had already read several of the researchers they promote. The second movie turned me onto Lynn McTaggart - "The Field", "The Intention Experiment" and "The Bond". She is awesome. I highly recommend her.

I love teaching. I have been doing it for 25 years. One of the best parts is that I get to meet the coolest people. So, I do not know who benefits more. I am very grateful that I get to make friends with some of the most amazing people, many of whom know of my alternative beliefs. I express issues of artificial intelligence. But will they have religion? Very few other species acknowledge their dead, let alone have death rituals. At what point do we consider this energy moving beyond the living body to something else? Will robots? I absolutely love contemplating these things. Thank you so much for engaging in it all.
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-04-25)
What The Bleep Do We Know? OMG omg omg! I saw this about 10 years ago, LOVED it. A few years ago tried to track it down only to be told it didn't exist!
Can't believe someone else actually saw it! Now I'm on their official website (shocked to discover it has one) and learn they have a weighty tome worth of DVD content, hoorah!
Gosh, thanks for bringing that up!

By the way your classes sound astonishingly eye opening, your students are so lucky to have you.
Your dad sounds like a real unique gem of a guy, technical/practical and spiritually minded. A rare blend. You clearly inherited a lot of his traits. 😊
Hecate0 (4 stories) (418 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-04-25)
Tweed, thank you on both counts. First, the AI. I am not familiar with this researcher. I show the movie, "Transcendent Man, the life of Ray Kurzweil" to my Sensation & Perception class and my Memory & Cognition class. I have read his "The Age of Spiritual Machines". I have not had the pleasure of investigating this Japanese researcher. Their beliefs DO help them conceptualize that we could develop machines with transcendent energies akin to 'soul'. That is part of what drives my interest in AI, a complete integration of all that we deem human/alive/etc. The "What the Bleep Do We Know" movies and the researchers they promote are fascinating.

I think my dad has been the popular kid on the block always. His openmindedness while alive surely helped those on the other side. But he so helped people here, too. He was very technical, where I get my math abilities, but also musical and artistic. Openminded yet extremely practical. And humor. LOLOL That man was funny. That is why your comments before were fine. I am lucky to be able to teach a course called "The Psychology of Humor" to advanced students. It is a blast. Anyway... So much to share, so little time.

Yes, such a human transition as death, right? I wonder what others are in store for us?
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-25)
Couldn't find the link I was looking for. But found some youtube stuff instead.
The link I was looking for is an article I read about a year ago about a Japanese engineer named Hiroshi Ishiguro. He specializes in robots, the uncanny valley sort.
As you're mad about AI you've probably already come across him. His spiritual implications and outlook for the technology he develops is fascinating.
This is a youtube clip of a robot he cloned of himself. Including the AI which mimics his own mannerisms. (the article elaborated on this more than the clip if I find the article I'll post here)

Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD1CdjlrTBM
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-25)
omg, What a beautiful story!

"a huge human transition such as dying" I LOVE that!
Sometimes I wonder what it must be like to make that transition, there would be so many people to catch up with on the other side. Your dad must have been the most popular kid at the dance for a while after he passed.
It must be difficult to get the hang of breaking through the physical dimension too. Like learning to read and write all over again.
I think all this is why a pact, such as yours, can be delayed at times.
Perfect word too 'love', of course!
Hecate0 (4 stories) (418 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-25)
SDS - Thanks for reading this older story about my Dad. He is definitely with me still. If I am under stress, I find myself humming his favorite song. I slip from my positiveness sometimes. He helps me get it back.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-04-25)
Hello Hecate0, of late, I have not been quite frequent to this site and that is how I missed this account of yours. Really loved it. I read your narratives on the reverse, third first and this one last. I loved it. Like Val, I would like to hug you and shake hands with you. Great account. Love, yes, it pervades all the universe irrespective of whether one is alive or passed on. It shows and it is being exhibited by your father to you even now. Thanks for sharing.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
Hecate0 (4 stories) (418 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-10)
Val, I am a healer. So, I believe you can do that. Thank you. I received it. This site helps me with the "we are not alone" stuff. Thanks to all of you!
Hecate
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-09)
Hecate - if I could I'd reach right through this monitor and give you such a hug! Thank you for sharing this.
Hecate0 (4 stories) (418 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-09)
Swimsinfire and Ms_St0308, thanks for reading. I have needed him close lately, and sharing about him has helped.
ms_st0308 (6 stories) (66 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-09)
What a beautiful story! Thank you so much for sharing this with us!
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-06)
Not related, but about the migrains. There's an acupressure point on your ears. If you hook your index finger over the top of your ear where it conects with your head, right where that curle is, pinch. 😊
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-06)
Oh gosh. That was beautiful. My condolences from the heart, you are very blessed to have such a relationship with your Dad. Loved the code word bit, and that your whole family was waiting for one. I have a similar relative who stays close. Thank you so much for sharing this story.
Hecate0 (4 stories) (418 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-06)
Hi TinAA and Clouds123. Thanks for reading. I am a science person by trade, and he was also very technical. So, I knew he would completely understand what I wanted, and why when I requested the secret word. The independence of my mother and then her later verification helped. He has been evident many times over the years, still. So, I am grateful that when I need him, he is still here. Many of the stories on these pages are related to the fear people experience when they are first surprised by evidence of other dimensions. I am grateful for his openmindedness that alleviated mine. I like sharing about him because I think that extends his positiveness out into the world more.
Clouds123 (1 stories) (8 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-06)
First off let me just say I am very sorry for your loss and I'm so glad you are staying strong and moving on with life in a very happy and positive way!
Second of all; wow amazing story! Never herd of one as amazing and powerful as this before! Great idea with the secret word... I'm going to half to do that one day!
Again I am so sorry for your loss and I wish you nothing but the best!
God bless you and your family
~Brooke
TinAA (1 stories) (84 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-06)
Hi Hecate, you have shared such a beautiful and touching story with us. Thanks for that. I am sorry for your father's death, but its nice to know that he still helps you, in fact what more one would need if your loved one accompany you after departure as well. You are lucky enough to feel him.

Thanks to share
Hecate0 (4 stories) (418 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-05)
Hi Wish-not. The quick answer to your question about migraines is yes and no. Of course, right? I can help with energy blockage related things. But there are certain things that western medicine needs to treat, as well. So, I cannot give you a definitive answer about migraines you might be having or someone you know without knowing more medical history. I have a friend with brain cancer and she and I work very differently than I would migraines. The type of healing I do is well described by the Barbara Brennan school and book titled, "Hands of Light". Reiki is similar to this, as is Therapeutic Touch and even the more healing side of Tai Chi.
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-05)
HecateO- Great share. Really enjoyed this story. So glad that you know that he is there.

Curious of that "distant energy healing". Can you do anything with migraines? Just kidding.

Ready for the next!
Hecate0 (4 stories) (418 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-05)
Thanks for reading, IfIHadYouX and Elnora. I love this site and being able to interact with you guys. There are so many here with cool experiences.
Hecate
elnoraemily (guest)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-05)
This was a truly beautiful account. Thank you for sharing it <3
ifihadyoux (6 stories) (607 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-05)
What a beautiful story Hecate. I am so sorry for the passing of your father but that he is with you is very comforting to hear.
Hecate0 (4 stories) (418 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-04)
Hi Fergie: thank you. And I do keep a journal, but have been a bit negligent on the dream part. I needed that nudge. I do also get many messages in my dreams.
Frangelica1, I look forward to hearing your stories about your Dad, too. I am still amazed at how many signs I get from him when I need them. If I am feeling down, his favorite song will pop into my head. Thanks for reading my story.
Fergie, you have quite a history here on YGS. I loved finding this site this past summer.
frangelica1 (40 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-04)
I thought your story was beautiful, Hecat0! As I read it, it sounded so similar to something that happened between my Dad and I when I knew I was seeing my Dad for the last time and when I then got the unmistakable sign I wanted upon my Dad's passing. And he has been watching over me all the time. I really need to share my story, also! Just trying to get up the courage to write it. Thank you so much for sharing your story! You had a wonderful bond with your Dad that reminded me of my bond with my Dad!
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-04)
Hi HecateO, welcome to YGS. Firstly, condolences on losing your dad. It is always a blow, losing someone close to you, but a wonderful feeling to receive a sign from them to say that they are still around.

Over the years, I have had several signs, sometimes vivid dreams, which originally, I would just brush off as just that - dreams. Now I know better. I have found it most helpful to keep a journal of any such dreams of family members, or any other unexplained phenomena, as suggested by a wise lady here on YGS.

I sincerely hope to see more submissions from you in the future. Thank you for sharing.
Hecate0 (4 stories) (418 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-03)
Thank you, Sushantkar. It is a strange contradictory feeling to miss the tangible him, but feel that he is just a thought away. I am grateful to feel that love transcends what we perceive to be physical limits or boundaries.
sushantkar (16 stories) (533 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-03)
Hi Hecate0! My condolence to your father. It must have been a beautiful filling to see that your father is still with your family.
Thanks for sharing with us.

Regards

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: