You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: Worse than Scared - Petrified

Real Ghost Stories

Worse than Scared - Petrified

 

I very much believe in the paranormal however, I have never had a negative experience until last night. I can't recall ever feeling so scared and helpless. I had been up and down all night as we just got a new puppy that I have to get up with approx. every 2 hours. After waking up one time I went back to sleep. The whole experience began as if a dream.

In the beginning of the dream I had gone outside to take the dog out (it was a totally different house, surroundings, etc). As I looked to the left I saw that I had apparently scared someone off as there was a lit cigarette sitting on the corner of the house to my left held by I don't know what. It was not on the ground - it appeared as if it was being held by a bracket sort of thing. I started getting scared at that time. I went back inside (this is still the dream) and I'm not sure what happened then. This is where it gets really scary.

I was in bed, my husband was beside me sound asleep (he is a hard sleeper). I was laying face down, yet I could hear noises (not loud, maybe like a shuffling) going on around me. I remember feeling at first as if there was 1 person, but shortly after I realized that there were 2. I remember feeling like I had been drugged. I couldn't wake up, move, or scream. It was so vivid. I remember fighting to wake up. I remember trying to make some sound and eventually trying with all of my strength to scream and I could make no sounds.

There were times that I was able to wake up and in one of these I put my arm around my husbands waist (I was still on my stomach). The consciousness didn't last long at all when it did come. After this I was trying so hard to move my arm or fingers to wake my husband up, but nothing would move and again I couldn't wake up or scream. I would occasionally hear things around me. I remember thinking that my husband and I had both been drugged (like the scene in the movie "What Lies Beneath" where Harrison Ford has drugged Michelle Pfeiffer and puts her in the bath tub and turns the water on). The only difference was that she had her eyes open and despite all my effort I couldn't open my eyes.

I can remember thinking that they had really drugged my husband so he wouldn't realize what was going on and were leaving him alone. I remember thinking to myself that whenever I had encountered spirits in the past none have been aggressive. There were a few times I was able to fight off the fatigue and I was eventually able to wake my husband up enough to tell him to save me and that 2 ghosts were trying to get me. Him, being the non believer that he is, told me that I needed to tell them to go away. He didn't seem to realize that I was petrified. I had been fighting this for what seemed to be forever. Each time I was scared to go back into the catatonic state but couldn't fight it off.

The one time that I was successful in getting my husband's attention he got up, went to the bathroom, came back and we laid facing each other with our arms around each other. I remember feeling the energy behind my back and repeatedly flinching like they were trying to get me away from my husband. I guess they eventually left because I was able to go to sleep feeling like it was safe.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Kristi072458, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Hooker81 (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-10-19)
Wow your story is almost exactly like mine.

I had been reading Twilight that week (my husband thinks the books are evil 😕)
Anyways I went to sleep that night... I had this crazy dream like you I was outside. I was with a group of people. All a sudden the people went inside the house there was a little boy outside. I was kind of pissed that they would not let him inside the house. So I stayed outside with him. I felt something so evil it made me shiver suddenly the little boy turned to me and had a evil smirk on his face. I woke up then... Still not feeling right. I was laying about 5" away from my husband but not touching at all... I turn my head and looked out our sliding glass window. Then all a sudden I felt Fear & Panic... It felt like someone was holding me down but I could not see anyone. I could not even move my hand the 5" to touch my husband I could not scream nothing... It was the worst feeling ever... Finally I thought in my mind lord please help me. And whatever it was went away in a instant... It happen again a week later. Lately I have been feeling like someone is watching me a well. I feel like if I turn fast enough I will see someone there... Its creepy!
friendlyghost34 (11 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-08)
Awwwwww! The last part's cute when you put your arms around each other. The other parts were really freaky though.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-05)
Hi Kristi,
Your husband may be a nonbeliever in the paranormal, but thank God he is a believer in you. Here you are going through a panicked situation and he gave you all you needed to calm down. First he told you to tell the two entities to go away. Normally, that would work if you say it with conviction. Then he woke, and held you so that you could feel safe enough to go back to sleep.
Another way to calm down before bed (we all get stressed out in our daily lives. We have too many things to get done in too little time, family problems, financial stresses) is to burn a lavender incense. Not only does it seem to soothe the beasts, it is also a pleasing scent. 😊 I am all for added bonuses!
I think what you went through was a bout of sleep paralysis. There are many triggers and many people who suffer the effects, also. I do not think you were being brutalized by an entity with evil intent, but I do think this is very real.
Thank you for your story.
Evergreen (2 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-22)
Kristi:
There is a stage of sleep where you will swear that you are awake, but can't move or open your eyes. I had an experience when I was in college where I had fallen asleep. I "woke" up, but couldn't move or open my eyes. I could hear tons of people parading through my room, next to me, talking, carrying on, etc. I was on the seventh floor and they seemed to be moving through the door and then through to the window. Of course, not possible. I did read that many people actually experience this sensation, which is really scary, but is a rare occurence when you're sleeping. I hope this helps. 😊
phillychickie22 (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-22)
That sounds like something that happened to me last night, it definitely was NOT anything that could have been explained. I woke up at three this morning out of a dead sleep and just started yelling, oh my God three times and as I sprung up, my boyfriend’s hand was around my neck. I kept trying to push it away and I was thinking to myself, after I had gotten up wouldn’t the hand have just fallen to my side? But it didn't, it had a FIRM grasp and it wasn't letting go. I looked at him and started screaming; I realized he wasn't even awake. I finally got him off of me and as I did, his arm flew back and this whole time he was sleeping, he never woke up, and then all of the lights in my bedroom had gone out. I’ve heard of noises and strange breathing sounds in the bedroom before but this is the first (and hopefully, only) time I’ve ever been touched. I could understand if he was awake, he would have the STRENGTH to have a grip but there's no way in hell you could hold onto someone so tight like that while you're sleeping.

Needless to say I didn’t get any sleep after this happened and I’m wondering is this an evil spirit, a ghost, or something else? Usually ghosts aren’t out to hurt you so I really don’t know what to think. I do know I’m petrified to sleep at night but hopefully as I said, I won't encounter anything like this again in my life.
horsefeathers (4 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-18)
Oops! I forgot to give you the web address:

www.unicorn-cove.com/ask_the_unicorn

Some of the older messages are from people dealing with situations similar to yours, who received help...

Peace.
Horse
horsefeathers (4 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-18)
The paralasys, the "drugged" feeling, it sounds as though you were the victim of a psychic attack. There IS someone who can help you--he specializes in psychic self defense and protection, and deals with situations like this on a regular basis. His name is Ahura Z. And (as an offshoot to his school of metaphysics and psychic police department) he runs a message board called "Ask The Unicorn" where people can get help and answers to their questions (his school is located in Maine, but he helps a lot of people nation- and worldwide). You can read through posts by others and the answers he has given, and post your own questions.

You stated in your feedback expectations that you are looking for help, and, speaking from experience, I know that Z can help you!
SchizoSephy (74 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-18)
I don't sleep in my room because similar things have happened there. I sleep on the couch in the living room. I thought it was safe but it turns out the "things" follow. I woke up one night but I was unable to open my eyes just then I felt something pulling me down into the couch. I was horrified. Then it stopped. I stayed in the closet the rest of the night. I don't have anyone around to help me through these kind of things.

You may have been visited by an Incubus. Be careful, very careful. Get a priest to "cleanse" your house. I would also suggest hanging crucifixes on your wall. Demons are real VERY real, but they are not like TV at all.
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-18)
I experienced this same exact feeling you described on being sort of like "held down" except you explained it better than I did in my story "Shadows in My Life". I wasn't going to sleep I was waking up and felt something crawl up from the corner of my bed and spoon me then I rolled over into it and that is the EXACT same feeling I felt. This was at 10AM and I was awake and was able to move until I rolled over to see who or what was behind me so I definitely know that my experience had nothing to do with astral projection, nerves shutting down, waking up in my mind before I was supposed to or anything like that. I believe a lot in science and logical explanations and there still could be some crazy scientific explanation for what happened to me that morning but I doubt it. That was the only time that has ever happened to me. VERY SCARY! -Shelby
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-18)
Cool story, Kristi.

I wonder if this isn't just typical sleep paralysis. There seems to be a lot of confusion over this. I have to disagree with Astral Walker on her interpretation of sleep paralysis. I think it has nothing to do with "another dimension..." It is merely a matter of your conscious mind being out-of-synch with your body. When we fall asleep, our nerves "shut-down" one by one throughout our body. When you're falling asleep and you feel your arm twitch our your whole body "jumps," this has nothing to do with your "spirit" coming or going. This is just a set of nerves firing and shutting down for the night. Your nerves fire en masse in localized areas one final time before calling it quits for the night, sort of as if they're clearing out their hard-drive for the day so they can start fresh in the morning. In spite of my crude explanation, this is totally normal phenomenon--your body's going to sleep, but your brain has not entered a sleep-state yet.

When you awake and cannot move, some people think it's a demon or whatnot holding you down, and maybe in some cases it is--who knows. But in the majority of cases, it's just that your mind has awoken before its "scheduled time" only to find that the nerve bundles that shut-down earlier have not yet re-awakened, so you feel as though you are paralyzed because your mind is leaving a state of unconsciousness, but your body is still there.

Or perhaps it is indeed a few "ghosts" having their way with you. Or maybe aliens. Unless you're involved in a sleep study, it will be difficult to know for sure. But it is indeed scary. It happened to me a few times in college. I awoke one morning and could look around with my eyes, but could not move my head or extremities for about ten seconds. I was alarmed, but more interested than anything because I'd always heard about it, but never experienced it. If you start by wiggling your toes, for some reason that I forget, this is the best way to shake it off.

Chances are, if you're aware of the physics behind it, you can more readily control it.
astral_walker (4 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-18)
hey kristi

the reason that you could not move like you said is because of you was not asleep or awake it happends to many people but soem can control it very well like I can

it is were you enter another dimension sorta thing were you trick your mind in to makign the body fall asleep but the mind is totally awake this is sleep paralisis. When in sleep paralasis you can not move any part of you body unless you can astral project

astral projection is like leaving your body ina spirit form unlike you did because you was not fully in a sleep paralisis but its ok a lot of people suffer from it. Another form of it is when you are asleep and suddenly you wake up with a jump that is astral projection were you spirit leaves the body and goes away and the reason you jump is because you spirit comes into your body a lot harder than it should.

i think you should look into it a lot more and you may even fing the source of all these weird happening by making contact this also goes for you querida

well hope it helps
querida (13 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-17)
i once had a scary expirience like that! I was sleeping one night in my parents room because my room really freaked me out. And so that night I chose to sleep in their room things started happening to me. I remember waking up from a bad dreaming sweating and breathing heavily, I tried to situp but I couldnt. It felt as though someone was holding me down and so I tried to sit up again this time fighting off whatever was holding me down but I just coudnt. It was as though someone put a ton of bricks on me and every time I got I right to stand up something pushed me down again. I eventuallly managed to crawl on the ground to my moms side of the bed and then wake her up. The minute I woke her up everything went away, I could suddenly stand.
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-17)
Not sure, but with the way you described your experience I would say you were suffering from sleep paraylsis. Which can be brought on by excitement, stress, or worrying to much. Now if you feel deep down that this wasn't the case then I would recommend burning some lavender incense before going to bed at night. There are other things you could do, but try this one first and see if you have another bad night.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: