You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: I Saw a Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

I Saw a Ghost

 

It's Christmas, 1991, in Buffalo NY. Family from all different states are celebrating the holiday at my parents' house, which I will mention is the same house my mother grew up in. I go upstairs to get my pajamas on and something catches the corner of my eye. I look in front of my bathroom door and see a man. He only appears from the chest and up; he isn't solid but isn't transparent either. He is wearing a leather aviator jacket, glasses, and a wool cap with the ear flaps pulled down. He is old. Being only eleven years old, I bolt down the stairs and don't mention anything, nor do I explain why I am going to sleep at 8:00 PM when my four year old cousin was told to go to bed (she shared my room during her visit).

Flash-forward to sometime over Christmas break that same year: I am looking at old family photos with my brother, and I come across a photo of the same man I saw a week earlier in my room! I ask my Mom who he is, she tells me he is my Great Grandfather. I ask where he lives, she tells me that he passed away a few days after I was born.

I don't know why he popped in, and now I feel a bit bad for running away from him (hey, I was eleven years old!). But it makes sense now: all the family is together in "the old house," he had been there when he was alive. I suppose he was just checking in on me! He was the first ghost I saw, but not the last.

Other hauntings by april

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, april, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-02)
Hello April. Of course our loved ones come to us. Not only on the holidays but any day possible for them. As holidays seem to be the time of year when family members put their differences aside and gather together in love, that would be a perfect time for our family members who have already passed to be acknowledged by someone. Thank you for your story.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-19)
I agree. All of the family around to celebrate a special Holiday. He simply wanted to be included as he had in the past and see and feel the love of the family togetherness.

I wouldn't feel bad about running away. You were a child, I am certain he felt no insult.

God Bless!
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-19)
That's dope, April. There seems to be some sort of special conduit between family members, like we're all resonating with the same charge on the same frequency or something.

Thanks!
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-19)
Yeap family members do return to be with the ones they love at special times and even some not so special. Just because they have pasted doesn't mean they don't have the same feelings we do. I am also sure that they would love to be able to interact better with us at these times. Thanks for sharing your story.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: