You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Spirit of my Brother's Apartment

Real Ghost Stories

The Spirit of my Brother's Apartment

 

Last summer, I had an experience that I'll never forget. I was about to go to sleep in my brother's spare bedroom. I shut off my light, and laid in bed. My brother had gone to bed too, and his door was shut, and it was very noisy when opened, so I knew that this wasn't him.

I suddenly heard footsteps pacing up and down the hall outside the bedroom. I froze, trying to tell myself to stay calm. Then, much to my dismay, the footsteps ended up in the bedroom, right next to the bed I was sleeping in. Then, something bent down, touched my shoulder, then whispered in my ear. It was a man's voice that said "Everything is okay..." This was not my imagination. I felt his breath in my ear, and I felt his presence come into the room, then leave. After that, I had a creeped out feeling, and didn't fall asleep until like 3 hours after the experience.

The rest of the summer, I kept quiet, for fear that I would scare my brother. It wasn't until about a week ago until I finally told him. He said that he had experiences to, and he asked his landlady if anyone died in the apartment. She then told him that her father had died in the room that I was sleeping in. I do believe it was her father's spirit that was just making sure all was well in the apartment. After that experience, my whole perspective on the supernatural has changed. Now I know that ghosts can't hurt us, unless we let them.

Other hauntings by Derek15

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Utah

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Derek15, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

whitebuffalo (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2007-12-27)
Hello Derek15.
All I keep thinking is Saints Above nothing frightening was stated, thank you. I think the Dad who passed knew how uncomfortable you were feeling and therefore told you everything would be alright. He never intended to scare you or a hearty "BOO!" may have been heard instead of whispered words of encouragement.
And I have a problem with the comment about ghosts not being able to hurt us. They hurt our pride when they do not perform on demand, cause us to lose sleep, scare the living ---- out of us, make us move out of houses...
Thank you.
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-28)
Hi Derek! I liked your story. It is creepy though, footsteps coming right up to your bed when no one is seen and a man's disembodied voice whispering in your ear. Well, atleast he said something comforting instead of something really scary. It sounds like he is watching over the place and you and your brother as well. Thanks for sharing your experience. 😊 -Shelby ❤
melissagrove2000 (4 stories) (43 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-24)
Hey Derek, Good Story. CREEPY! Short, good and to the point! Well told! Glad it didn't happen to me though! Hee, hee!
Derek15 (3 stories) (16 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-24)
Thank you for all of the comments guys and girls! I didn't know my story would be looked at this much! I do hope his spirit is at some kind of peace though... Hopefully he is watching over the new owners of the apartment like he did for me and my brother 😁
Annie (202 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-23)
Very well told story, Derek. It's good to know that your brother asked his landlord about a death in the house. I live in a house where there was a death in my bedroom. To this day I can hear footsteps walking around up there when there's nobody there. Sounds like you encountered a kind spirit!
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-23)
Thank you for sharing your story.
Although I disagree with one of the comments, bad spirits can hurt you, if nothing else than by making you froghtened, ruining your sleep, etc. But, anyway...

Now that you did get some history on the occurance, I would agree that the father may be watching out for his home. I do hope he is also able to find peace.

God Bless!
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-23)
Ah, dear Abby, not sure if it had a ghost or not, but I will give the benny of the doubt. Good to see you and Bell giving out such great advise. Of course I wouldn't expect any thing less of you! 😁 Hope you all are having a great October and are ready for Halloween when all the little ghosties come out to play. 😨 Take care my friend and See you on the next story.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
Abby (710 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-23)
Dear Derek15 and Hello Shane! :)

Shane, if I had a leg up on you that would make me a dog like the dog in the story, "My Son Sees A Ghost". I don't think that story had a ghost in it. Thankfully Derek's story does!

Double Blessings and 2 Scoops of Ghostly REALISM, Abby❤
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-23)
Hello Derek and welcome to the site. Once again the ladies have a leg up on me. Very knowledgable these ladies. Make sure you listen to them. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
Abby (710 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-23)
Dear Derek15,

Your ghost story though short and simply stated had much content of ghostly experience to bring forth to us readers. I am glad to hear your brother had the foresight and used his common sense to inquire about any occurrences within his apartment. There is nothing like solving a mystery or resolving a problem whether in real life or the paranormal. :) Welcome to the YGS ghost club! --Abby
Derek15 (3 stories) (16 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-23)
Thank you for that bellissima. I totally think that there is good spirits, and there is bad spirits... But whatever they are, they can't hurt you. 😁
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-23)
Hi, Derek. I agree with you fully. People think ghosts or spirits are always evil, terrifying, red-eyed, snarling, stinking things that are only out to harm you or make your life a living hell. I think there are a lot of people who've had encounters and don't even realize it because they think there has to be evil involved for it to be a supernatural experience. There are rude, cruel people who pass and become rude, cruel spirits, the ones who do hurtful, mean and scary things. Just the same, there are gentle, kind people who pass and quietly stay around with no harmful intentions, relatives or loved ones who keep a loving eye and give some signs to let us know they are there. Sometimes when the spirit has met a tragic end, they are around as a sense of sadness that you can feel. I also think that a person's own personality and energy can draw certain types of spirits around them in general. I'm more inclined to believe there are more benign spirits than evil entities. (sigh) Well, that said, I'm glad you've had a change of heart.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: