You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Visit From Grandad/dreams?

Real Ghost Stories

Visit From Grandad/dreams?

 

This is my first story. I'm not regularly affected by the paranormal, but it makes the experiences I do have very memorable. I'd really appreciate any input (positive/helpful comments only please) about what I've experience. Thank you!

A blurb about myself: I'm 20 years old and currently in college. I've lived in Minnesota my whole life. Interestingly, my stories mainly involve experiences with my Grandparents (both sets)!

For this story, I will be focussing on my maternal Grandparents. It is important to know that they have lived in Florida for most of my life. My Mom, brother and I would visit them every other year/they would visit us. Aside from letters and phone calls, that was about it. The times we had together were always great. It is also important to know that my maternal Grandfather (and his mother) had always been very open to the paranormal. By this I mean that for some reason, they attracted paranormal energy of some sort more than others. This is just what he and my mother had told me. I will post one of his experiences separately.

This particular experience of mine really begins sometime in March of 2016. I was a Freshman in college and really struggling with school. I hadn't done well keeping in touch with my Grandparents (which again, wasn't unusual especially with being busy). So I was surprised one night to have a dream that I was a child again at an old neighborhood park, and my Grandma was wandering aimlessly trying to tell me something distressing. I woke up and though it was weird.

A few nights later, I had another dream that my Grandma was a ghost. She guided me into the garage of my old house, and said, "There's so much I wanted to tell you..." and was crying. The next day, I was worried of course and asked my Mom if everything was okay with my grandparents. She said things were fine.

It couldn't have been a week later that my Grandad had a stroke and fell, causing him to go to the hospital. My Mom spent almost the rest of the month in Florida with my Grandma, helping her out and taking care of my Grandad in the crummy hospitals.

In April, we found out that my Grandad wasn't going to make it. My brother and I flew down to say our last goodbyes. I was very close to my Grandad, who always told me stories and made me laugh non-stop, so I was horribly sad to see him in such a state of illness in the hospice. My brother and I had school, so after 2 or 3 days we had to return. My Grandad had not yet died but we'd said our goodbyes, so "L" (my brother) and I flew back to MN alone.

A night later, I had a very lucid dream that I walked up some wooden steps. A the top there was a wooden door and hallway. When I got to the door, it opened and I could see that it contained bright white light. Out of the door stepped my Grandad. He was old, but healthy, wearing a neon green tank top he always wore when he visited, and shorts. Right away, he hugged me. He communicated peace to me through his hug. But also, I heard him speak into my mind (?) saying that everything was okay and that he loved me. Then after he hugged me, he let go and I watched him walk down the hallway. That was where the dream for sure ended, but I didn't wake up right then. I know that I was in some kind of deep sleep trance until I woke up in the morning.

He had died, and I'm not sure if it was the exact same time as my dream, but my Mom told me the news the next day.

I'm trying to figure out if that dream was his spirit saying goodbye to me. I surely feel like it was. I will admit that it was unlike any dream I had before. Something about the way I could actually feel him hugging me made it seem so real, and the way I fell out of the dream experience was unlike waking up the way I normally do from dreams. I was at peace.

I'm also wondering what people think about the dreams I had about my Grandma right before this very stressful period in time happened. Is it at all related to the events that would occur? And if so, why was my Grandma crying for me and why was my Grandad not in either of the dreams? As a side note, my Grandpa has been phsycially visited by a deceased loved one at their death (a story I will tell later). I wonder if it is a theme in our family or if I am simply overthinking it.

Sorry this was so long! Let me know if you have any questions or plotholes I can clear up!

Other hauntings by MNgirl97

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Minnesota

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, MNgirl97, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

MNgirl97 (4 stories) (5 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-05-02)
[at] spriritwaiting
I completely agree with you that the 'dream state' is less like a dream and more lucid and realistic! It is amazing that you experienced something similar! I've been writing another story that happened after I posted this to this one, but have yet to submit it due my busy college finals week. Will get to it soon - I think you'll find it interesting!
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-04-23)
MNgirl97,

I love this one you have shared. I look forward to reading the others.

I to have been visited by a grandparent in a "Dream State ".I call them visitations because they seem more like visits in real life rather than the craziness dreams tend to put out.

The hugs I recieved from my grandpa was so life like I could still feel his scruffy beard on the side of my cheek when he hugged me after I woke up.

Thank you for sharing
Spiritwaiting
MNgirl97 (4 stories) (5 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-04-22)
[at] lady-glow:
Thank you for your reply! I just found out something incredibly coincidental about this story from my grandmother (his wife). It's coming in another story soon and I'd love for you to read it when it's out.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-04-16)
Welcome to YGS.

We are more open to the paranormal during our sleep, so I'm sure your Grandfather visited you to say his goodbyes. It is interesting the way he showed himself to you, wearing his good-times' "uniform" and in good health.

I'm sorry for your loss.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: