You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: A Haunted Life :: Bumping Into An Old Friend

Real Ghost Stories

Bumping Into An Old Friend

 

This is about a ghost I think of as a guardian. Over the last 14 or so years I've learned ways to communicate with him and we have a good understanding of each other. Outside of intentional communications I've had many unexpected moments with him, many small, few major. These are the few major unexpected moments.

Approximately 1983 (Just to clarify, this first one happened in Australia where I grew up.)

Can't be sure of exact date for this but I was around age 2.

We lived in a medium sized house on a medium sized block. I loved this place, would spend hours outside in the tree crowded garden which backed on to an open field. (Queue Supertramp's Logical Song!)

My mum would put me on her hip and we'd pick fruit from the trees which lined our back fence which backed onto the field.

The back fence wasn't very high, I'd guess it was 4ft high. Low enough to get a good view of the field when I was on mum's hip.

One morning we were picking fruit here. There was a man standing on the other side of the fence. He was right at the fence about 3 meters to the left from where we were. So he wasn't directly in front of us. He was looking right at me, smiling, he was very still, simply standing there. He wore old fashioned clothing, had pale white skin with dark features. He looked to be aged around 50 to 60. I looked at him for a couple seconds then hid my face in mum's hair out of shyness. Somehow I knew he wasn't like us. When I looked back he was gone. Mum acted as if no one was there.

This was the first time I saw him.

As a toddler sometimes he would talk to me without me seeing him. His sentences were constructed in ways I couldn't understand. As an adult I realise he talks in a fashion from his era. I can't remember exactly what he used to say. I don't know how I knew it was him, it was like instinct. The voice matched the look. He spoke with an English accent, Londoner's I guess, definitely not Northern. His speech was slow and precise. His clothes and hairstyle I've since narrowed from 1900's to 1910's.

He was the first ghost I ever saw. I didn't see him or hear him at all after I started school. For years he was a strange memory.

Because of something which happened this year I recently asked my mum if she'd seen him that day by the fence. Mum replied that she never saw anyone in that field the entire time we lived there.

2001

Right at the beginning of 2001 I went through a 'non believer nihilist' phase. Absolute stupidity, but I did it. Wanted to try what it was like to be 'normal'. Even though I had by now encountered many ghosts including the dancer from another story. The non believer argument seemed so plausible (convenient) and intelligent (reliable) to me at 19. It lasted for a good 8 months. It never felt or sat right with me. However I gave it a good run until...

Late one September Saturday night I was driving home from a party. I was driving alone, hardly any traffic about. I looked in my rear view mirror to change lanes and there he was. The man from my childhood sitting in the back seat looking sternly back at me in the mirror. Completely solid. To say I was scared would be an abomination of language. I bricked it.

In that second, which stretched on forever, a streetlight ran up across his face. Up close I saw how other wordly and eerie he was. A detail I long assumed was childhood exaggeration. I looked back again but he had disappeared. Thankfully I wasn't far from home and managed to hold it together. Dreaded every mirror check for the remaining journey.

Couldn't sleep that night and thought long and hard about what just happened and every other ghost encounter throughout my life. That was the abrupt end to my non believer phase.

Late 2001.

Bought my first digital camera, back in the day before they became an afterthought to phones. But I digress. The first days I had my camera I took photos of everything. One photo of my bedroom had him in it! Not his face, just his torso, as the photo was taken on an angle his face was out of frame. But those unmistakable old fashioned clothes were standing right there in my room. Guess what I did next? Freaked out and deleted it! What a great idea!

Why oh why did I do this? FOR PETE SAKE! To this day I can't fathom doing something so dumb. Guess I wasn't out of my non believer phase yet.

2002

The dreams started. Dreams of him would always involve violence of some kind, graphic in nature, usually involving me being killed by him. Always vivid and include physical pain which I would sometimes faintly feel the next day. As bad as all this sounds I never felt threatened by him. Looking back on these dreams now I see them as a kind of exorcism. Kind of. An exorcism of 'non believer' traits. The dreams had me terrified while I was in them but to remember them in waking hours I felt a sense of calm, always. I would dream of him at least once a week. But my nihilist dabblings well and truly ended in 2001 when I saw him in the back of my car.

2006

By now the dreams were far less frequent and the violence in them ended. This is a man of few words, he hardly ever speaks verbally, but when he does it's direct and to the point. Now dreams with him came as warnings of when something bad was about to happen.

I use past tense because I haven't had a dream like this for a while, which I'm glad of. When I get a warning from him in a dream I really take notice because they have all come true. I can't give details of any of the warnings as none of them are about me directly. I feel his motives are to prepare me for horrible news before I hear it.

2014

Started seeing him unexpectedly upon entering a room, usually my studio (musician here). I gasp, he looks toward me. I back out of the room and wait a few seconds for him to 'disappear'. Nothing scary about it, just the shock of him being there. This happens quite a bit, once or twice a month. It never happened before last year though.

These odd surprises are pretty minor but worth a mention because of what happened recently.

2015

Weekend in March I was expecting a friend to drop by. I saw her car enter our driveway and ran excited to the front door.

Couple quirks of mine;

1) I love watching the daylight disappear from the house and leave lights off for as long as I can. It was twilight outside but pretty dark in the house.

2) I'm light footed and on the quiet side.

I ran up the hall which turns to the left to the front door. Our front door has a narrow window next to it with a curtain which is always drawn. It's always dark in this entrance part. As I reached the door with my hand out to open it I slammed into someone already standing there and copped a handful of really cold someone!

I looked up at the narrow window beside the door because the curtain wasn't drawn but pulled back. I couldn't see this as I bolted towards the door because he was in the way. He's taller than me and blocked the light from the crack in the curtain he was holding open. Urgh. In a split second he spun around and glared wide eyed at me. *shivers* I'd seen that look before in dreams. I screamed, then did something I really can't believe I actually did. I pushed him and yelled "What the f...?!" He shot me a look that said 'right back at you' and abruptly disappeared. Which made me scream again! I realised I'd just touched him TWICE and did the spider shake, you know that 'erugh get it off me!' shake. Effing and blinding the whole time. The ordeal lasted all but 10 seconds, if that.

I opened the door and went out to greet my friend. I must have looked blotto, she asked:

"You alright? Who's the guy?"

Her music was blaring from the car stereo so figured she hadn't heard the raucous. I looked back at the opened front door, there was nothing there. I realised she must have seen him through the window. It might sound strange but I was now jubilant this had happened and that she'd seen him too, I started laughing hysterically! I rushed up and hugged her like some reality bozo who'd been kicked off a crap show.

Once inside I started telling her what happened and she demanded I turn the lights on. Fair call.

I thought he must have been watching who was rolling in the driveway. But my friend said the curtain flapped wide open which made her look, she saw him looking toward the side of the house, not straight ahead at the driveway. She parked and looked back but the curtain was closed. This might have been when he spun around to face me. Maybe holding the curtain when he turned around and caused it to briefly 'flap' wide, then fall closed.

We played CSI over that for a while.

One thing I'm confident of is it's a fluke. I believe he didn't mean this to happen. The detail about him looking at the side of the house is quite unsettling. I think I know why. That's a story for another time, not a nice one.

But back to this. Always thought coldness was Hollywood nonsense. I only touched his clothes but they felt like he'd stepped out of a fridge!

Later that night, after my friend went home, I was on the piano. Having a little jam before bed, a regular jaunt. I was alone, playing away and felt what I'm sure was a hand rub my left upper arm slowly in an upwards and downwards motion. Felt like a comforting gesture, I didn't feel threatened. The contact was cold again, temperature wise.

I stopped playing but kept the sustain pedal down. So the notes were ringing. Not sure why but felt if I released the sustain that the silence would discourage him somehow. It's a grand and the lid was up. Fearing I'd see him in the reflection I kept thinking 'don't look at the lid, don't look at the lid'. I stared at the keys and said "Sorry I pushed you", then slowly raised my right hand to touch his on my left arm. He pulled away as my hand got closer.

I don't know if he was visually solid this time. My hair was dangling in my peripheral. Also it's silly I freaked out about the lid because I wouldn't have been able to see him from that angle anyway. I didn't look back, wanted to but I didn't want to at the same time. Had a feeling he didn't want me to either. It was a really nice moment. Bizarre but totally nice.

I'd never touched him or been touched by him before this.

In some ways bumping into him was a long time coming. I should wear a bell. I haven't seen him since that evening. I feel his presence around the house, that's it. Maybe he's laying low. I hope not, I miss seeing him around.

Thanks for reading.

(For some reason the 'preview' of this didn't match the way I typed it. Preview has given some sections a new paragraph. Not too big of a deal, it still makes sense.)

Other hauntings by Tweed

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Tweed, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-07-16)
Cups, your comment made me smile, thanks! Non believers are a total weakness of mine. Every now and again I get so frustrated with them, I can't seem to shake it. I've had those same thoughts as you, how can we be capable of all this? Etc. Also I want to scream at those non believers, 'if this is all there is, what's the flippin point?!' But they just aren't having it. So it sucks to be them. 😉

Thanks for reading, glad you enjoyed!
Cups (7 stories) (159 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-07-13)
Tweed, your stories are knocking my socks off! This one in particular strikes a chord for some reason. I know this is an old thread, but regarding the "non-believers"... I feel sorry for them, I really do. I think it's quite an assumption to dismiss a realm that so many people have had first-hand experience with. I also think it's daft to adamantly deny the existence of this stuff... I mean, it's pretty crazy to think that a blob of cells is able to see, speak, smell, taste, dress themselves - and for crap's sake, invent Macbooks, jets, & Chinese take-out - but that's real life. Keep sharing! Your writing is fabulous! ❤
MysticFrance (5 stories) (95 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-06-04)
Wow. I searched about him. He has a Wikipedia page!:-D

If it happened to me, my mum would probably freak out and would always ask a priest to bless our house. Haha. Your mum is cool.
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-06-04)
Mystic, your friend is lucky to have played at Bristol University, that's where one Professor Ronald Hutton works. He's an historian who specialises in various folklore, religion and witchcraft. He's written some great articles over the years. 😊 Very cool that your friend played there.

As for this ghost, I'm fairly confident there's no relation. He had been dead for a good many years before I was born. My Mum is very open minded so her reaction was pretty non existent lol. Her attitude toward ghosts is pretty much the same to her attitude toward anyone else.
MysticFrance (5 stories) (95 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-06-04)
Oh! Interesting! Are you related by blood? Has he been long dead before you were born?:-) How did your mum react? Just curious, you know. Haha. I only have very few paranormal experiences but most of the time, I couldn't see 'them'. But the people I'm with could see them following me. Haha. Sounds weird.

Re: my friend. He resembles to Justine Timberlake. Haha. And he's from 'Brizzle' (Bristol). He loves playing at the Victoria Rooms of Bristol Uni. But that was a long time ago. He's a beautiful part of my past.:-)
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-06-04)
Mystic, hehe high fives for your piano playing friend.😊

I'm sure this ghost has 'time off' periods where he has his own matters to contend with. I'd imagine being around someone 24/7 would be incredibly boring lol. It's taken many years for me to get truly comfortable around him, but he's proven to be well intended. I do know his name, though I've opted to not post it publicly. Over the years I've researched various records and one particular individual, of the same name, seems a very likely match. However, I've yet to find a photo. Without that all elusive photo I won't be satisfied this person is the same from the particular record which fits.

This ghost crops up frequently in my experiences, there's a new submission (the swan one) which is about him, the tarot one also mentions him briefly. I'm sure he'll be a topic in future submissions. 😊
MysticFrance (5 stories) (95 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-06-04)
It still creeps me thinking that he's around and watching you most of the time. Well, we never know. Perhaps, everywhere you go, he's there. Did you ever wonder who he is? Perhaps you are related by blood?

And by the way, you reminded me of my Brit friend. Also a musician and loves playing the piano.:-)
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-06-04)
Mystic, thanks for reading.

It takes a lot to worry me where ghosts are concerned, I'm not the slightest worried about this one. There's only a few people who don't know about this one, and they're all extremely uptight non-believers. 😉
MysticFrance (5 stories) (95 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-06-04)
This story gave me goosebumps. Oh my... How did you survive knowing that there's 'someone' watching you. Have you told your mum (or anyone) about him? But you think he's harmless, right?

Regards.
DandK (11 stories) (344 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-03-01)
Hi Tweed, I completely understand about the time concerns as well as needing to be yourself. That can be a hard thing to do!
I'm looking forward to reading more stories about this mysterious person!
Take care, DandK
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-03-01)
Thank you DandK, glad you enjoyed it. I should start on an update for this ghostie. I have a hoard of stories I'm yet to submit. I may have a lot on my plate in the coming weeks, not sure. Anyway it'd suck if I didn't have time to reply to any new stories I submitted haha, so I've held off submitting any for the time being.
As to the nonbeliever crap, that really threw me. But I've resolved to be honest about these topics. Not completely open, but honest. I want to be myself now, no pretending.😊

Biblio, sorry I missed your comment from like a month ago! Thank you, that is very insightful as always.
It seems I was dealing with a minority angry agnostic, recently turned atheist, go figure! The anger (or I perceive it as fear) did take me by surprise. I felt this one person in particular, who actually pushed his face into mine and snarled this, was secretly 'pleading' with me not to challenge his right to not believe. Also noteworthy this person has experienced some jaw dropping shared paranormal moments, which he doesn't deny happened. However, recently questions the 'paranormal' nature of these events. Unfortunately there's no sound physical alternative explanation anyone can think of and, since his change of beliefs, this causes a lot of inner turmoil, from what I can tell.

I love your way of introducing an abnormal topic or event without the use of big swear words like 'paranormal', 'ghost', etc ohh and don't forget 'God'.
This is a great way to keep everything neutral and respectful. Love it, thanks! 😊
DandK (11 stories) (344 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-03-01)
Hi Tweed, I just came across this story you wrote quite some time ago, and I wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed it. You transported me to each of your experiences. I could even feel your emotions. Wow! I'm heading off now to read more of your stories and I hope I get to read more about this! Thank you for this!

On the side note that I saw on your thread comments about the nonbelievers, I completely relate to what you're saying. Only I haven't been brave enough to open up to everyone about my beliefs. Just my husband and my parents. All of these have had experiences that put them in the believer category.
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-01-17)
Tweed:

I know that I'm leaving this note in an odd place, really, but I just had a thought: around Hallowe'en, I often tell one or two of my ghost experiences to the students. I always begin with a caveat along these lines: "I have no proof of what I'm about to tell you. I'm going to try to be as truthful as possible. If, when the story is done, you choose NOT to believe it, that's fine. You were not there to experience it. If you just want to think of it as a story, that's fine by me."

Some people choose not to believe with such vehemence that they (rarely, but it has happened) become aggressive in their disbelief. I teach in a religious school, so I point out that both Jewish and Christian beliefs not only have rituals for exorcism of spirits, but they also contain writings about human interactions with the paranormal. As the students range from devout through atheist, and I'm agnostic, they tend to accept that I do believe in souls/spirits, and that human beings are more than the sum of our parts. Once they're calmer, I invite others to share if they feel comfortable doing so; if not, on with some homework assignments!

Interesting point: it is rarely the atheists or agnostics who get agitated. The blindly-religious and the questioning faithful are the ones who ask, "Mr. Biblio, if you believe in spirits, why don't you believe in God?" The only connections I can find between spirits and God are those asserted by the mouthpieces of religious traditions, and once the purely-biased diatribes are removed from the equation, there's no substantive relationship between the two.

I feel that this kind of open conversation facilitates thoughtful debate, as I remain consistent in my assertions, and I'm never disrespectful about their religious practices.

Best,
Biblio
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-01-13)
Mack, thanks for reading and glad you enjoyed it.
There's a lot I don't understand about this chap. But after all these years I've learned behind his seemingly bizarre behaviour there's always a well intended logic.

Granny, that's a beautiful quote, thanks for sharing it!
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+3
8 years ago (2016-01-12)
"What I like my music to do to me is awaken the ghosts inside of me. Not the demons, you understand, but the ghosts." -David Bowie

Yep ❤
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-12)
Hi Tweed. You write really well and were able to convey those experiences with an intense vividness. I really enjoyed reading them.
I don't know what to make of that chap who seems to be attached to you, but I'm sure you can handle yourself (and him)!
Cheers
Mack
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-12)
whoohoo! Love reading your stories, look forward to the next one!
Haha, that Lemmy song story has been half typed up for months with a slew of others half typed up. It's practically done, I'll submit it shortly. Wasn't sure if the metalhead humour would translate to everyone here, but I'm sure you'll get a giggle!

Great to see you're a Bowie fan too!
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-12)
Tweed--You have to write up your story with a Lemmy moment in it! I featured Lemmy on my radio featurette back on January 1st. Both Motorhead and David Bowie are part of the eclectic soundtrack of my life.

I agree that Bowie's recent work was very neglected by much of the music listening public. I was excited to hear he had his second album in only a three year period coming out. The Next Day and Blackstar both show Bowie hitting a late career inspirational and creative high water mark. His videos in recent years have all been typically intense artistic statements.

In other news I submitted a new story that will hopefully be published soon. Sadly it doesn't have any good Lemmy moments 😢.
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-12)
Miracles, man Scott was hard to hear about. I've been a big Stone Temple Pilots fan since my teens. Back in the 90's it was touch and go with his addiction battles. For him to go when he did was very unexpected. Bipolar and addiction is an extremely lethal combination. 😢

Manafon, oh god Bowie's the master of all things creepy and beautiful isn't he. I know most people will be reminiscing on his older, well known stuff in light of his passing. But for me his recent times are far more apposite and interesting to celebrate. I absolutely adore his modern music, it's so underrated, and those awesome creep fest videos he's so hell bent on giving us, they're so wonderful. I've followed his career for a long time and with this new release his complete absence from everywhere had me worried. But my word is this a complete shock. I'm happy for him that he kept it a secret, he bid us farewell through his music. 😊
Oh god Lemmy, Clay and Cole. I'm so lazy and keep meaning to submit a story to YGS that has an amusing Lemmy song moment in it.
All these people we assume, like idiots, they're going to keep on forever. I like that you said 'a change of cosmic address'. That's taken on a literal meaning in my mind and yeah, trust Bowie to highlight it.
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-01-12)
Tweed--I completely agree that there has been an overload of musicians dying lately. Bowie, Lemmy, Otis Clay, Natalie Cole. That Bowie kept his cancer a closely guarded secret until his death made it extra shocking to read about.

It's just a change of cosmic address though. An exchange of the physical for the spiritual. And wow, does David Bowie's video for his track Lazurus bring this transitional aspect of existence into a bright, haunting and beautiful relief. Stunning and moving stuff. There goes another small aspect of many a persons childhood with his passing.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
8 years ago (2016-01-12)
Tweed - yesterday I was trying to think of who the 3rd one is. I forgot about Scott 😢
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-12)
David Bowie, Scott Weiland, my favourite songwriters need to stop dying.
I know this isn't a music forum, but I think they deserve a mention. Music is a key to the subconscious and, I believe, a window into subtler realms. Good songwriting is outrageously out of fashion in these crappy modern times.
Props to Mike Hall for this genuine, heartfelt performance of Lazarus when Dame David was simply too ill to perform. Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_3mEWx2e_8

RIP all you awesome musicians, gone before your time but never ever forgotten. ❤
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2015-12-30)
Thanks to all who've shown support, I feel like a bit of a dill now. Woke this morning thinking 'did I really post that on YGS? Oh no, I think I did.'

I've had a good long think about it all and I had been preparing for non-believers for a couple of months, would you believe. Every year it's the same, I get down about their BS, because I feel silenced. Well, I'm not silent any more, and it feels good. Though I'm not naive to think there won't be resistance, of course there will. I believe it's worth it, being silent wasn't working for me, it never did. The more people talk about this stuff, the better off humanity will be, I believe this.

I'm beginning also to not believe in non-believers who turn the crux of any moment into a supernatural dilemma. This must be motivated by a strong underlying desire to understand.
Let's love our fellow non-believers through their nonsense, not to convert or sway one way or the other, but simply be there for them if ever they wake from their slumber.

Caz, I probably will shed more tears on this matter. But so be it. You're right, there's a lot of fear stemming from the vitriol. Part of my staying silent all these years has been out of protecting them. Because I know one ghost, who makes himself known to prove a point. Who knows what he may do, it's a sobering thought for everyone, including me.

Val, I'm sure I get called crazy behind my back lol, and that's cool. In a weird way it's a complement. I'm certain also that the aggro comes from a place of love. You're right, they may be seeking confirmation from me. They view spirituality and/or religion as weakness, form of mental illness and something humanity must rid itself of. Where as I feel the direct opposite that their 'ridding', well intended though may be, is a form of oppression which exasperates mental illness.

Manafon, lord love that quote! I should read Shakespeare again there is so much beautiful wisdom in his work.
You're right we often appear like flakes and there's enough flakes out there to support a nihilist argument. Unfortunately it's the flakes which gives the rest of us a bad name and we're all lumped in the one air-headed basket. I've been practising meditation recently, in preparation for Christmas with non-believers. Thankfully I didn't break down in the moment, it crept up on me the next day. In the moment I handled it like a champ, rattled off a bunch of sentiments for which there was no come back, eg;
Non-believer: (referring to seeing a ghost years ago) I believe we saw something and I can't explain it. (angry) BUT I DON'T BELIEVE IN THE AFTERLIFE AND ALL IT DOES IS START WARS!
Me: Greed, money and oil start wars, religion is the socially acceptable excuse.

They then all conceded this was a fair point. I entered a meditative zone and it helped keep my composure, had I not prepared for this I would have been an emotional wreck.

Thanks so much again to everyone! I'm glad I posted this now. 😊

Happy new year everyone! ❤
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2015-12-30)
Hey Tweed--There have been some wonderfully wise comments about your recent unpleasant encounter with some "non-believers". I just wanted to add that many people feel that talking about such subjects makes them appear "flaky", and it wouldn't surprise me if the people most vocal in their negativity come across as the most pragmatic and consciously "grounded" of the group.

The fine (and often quoted line) from Shakespeare's Hamlet applies to these loud non-believers, "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Wouldn't it be great if the most vehement protestor was named Horatio! If all else fails, the answer will be at the end for them anyway. Can't you hear their surprised voices yelling, "I'm a ghost... Now what?!
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+2
8 years ago (2015-12-30)
Tweed,
I'm sorry the non-believer's made you cry. Often those who don't 'believe' quite often adopt a bully attitude towards those who do, and since no one else wants to endure it they either join in or keep quiet. Hence the agro you felt.
I honestly have no idea why someone would sit around talking about 'not believing' in something, unless they're trying to sway you to their way of thinking, or seeking some type of confirmation - pro or con. Although, I have had some interesting discussions with those whose views are different than my own. The key word there is 'discussion'. Neither trying to 'convert' the other, just voicing where we're coming from, and trying to understand the other's view.
On the other hand there's been times I've been called names, and told I was crazy. *shrug*
Caz (342 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-12-30)
Tweed...Do you really think it's wise to raise the subject again? You may just end up spending another day in tears! Anyway... I've a feeling that your vitriolic 'friend' is actually quite scared and I wouldn't be at all surprised if he comes to you before too long, especially if he has another wee fright! Lol!
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-12-30)
Post overlapage, thanks Biblio, 😊

You're right it does accomplish nothing. It reminds me of when homophobes talk about how much they 'hate gays', and you have to question if they're secretly gay. Actually I'll tell them that! 😆

I haven't asked them why they bother with ghostly topics. I will now. I bet it's because they secretly believe or are fascinated but I'm sure they'll have a more self defiant response. I'm curious as to how they'll respond now lol.

Thanks again to everyone I'm feeling pretty empowered now! 😊
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-12-30)
Thanks Caz and Rook, 😊

I had a real hard time of this yesterday, spent a good part of the day in tears, would you believe. Gosh, I can't believe it impacted me so deeply!

Funnily enough the one spewing the most vitriol has had an absolute doozy of an experience that he doesn't deny happened. However in recent times he's begun rejecting anything potentially ghostly. In a humourous twist it was my curiosity of his experience and reminder of such which spurred this entire ordeal.

I've made the decision to be open about my beliefs, I'm proud of this and I'm sure that, with time, things will get easier. It's their perception of me which I *think* is the biggest issue for them.

Interesting how often this happens in the church 😕I wouldn't have thought that would be a problem at all.

Maybe it's just me, but non-believers always seem so angry about their non-believerism! 😆

Thanks so much you guys!
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+3
8 years ago (2015-12-30)
Ohhh, Tweed: 😢

Have you ever asked the group WHY they bother with this topic if they DON'T believe? When he was asked about the word 'Atheist,' Neil DeGrasse Tyson's response included the statement "I don't play golf. We don't have a word to describe people who don't golf..." It seems to me that a group of people sitting around discussing a topic they profess not to believe is an inane way to ruin an afternoon; it has no purpose, it doesn't matter, and it won't alter anyone's opinion. In academic circles, I've heard this time wasting called "Mental M*st*rbItion" (inserting asterisks while hoping to avoid the censor, there!) because it accomplishes nothing.

I will eat almost anything, provided I'm told in advance what it is. There are foods I won't eat (I find the deliberate consumption of any species' reproductive organs as a 'delicacy' nauseating), and there is one I don't care for: green olives. I just don't like them. My wife loves them and will snack on them right out of the jar while preparing a buffet lunch. I'll eat black, purple, and red olives, but I won't waste time joining a group of Green-Olive-Haters: what would be the point? There's a word for those people in academia: "arseholes."

There may be a thousand potential explanations for each one of your experiences, but to deny that the experiences occurred because you don't think that things like that happen is just bigoted, biased thinking. Iain Glen got to deliver a great line of voiceover in his Jack Taylor series, (I'm paraphrasing) "Family know how to push our buttons because they installed them."

Be well; feel secure in the fact you're visiting your mother, her house, and her ghosts, which is a perfectly normal life experience for you. 😁

Biblio.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+3
8 years ago (2015-12-30)
Tweed,

It's easy for them to say nay when they themselves have never had an experience... However the way you describe their behavior sounds as if they circled the wagons and were reassuring themselves "There's no such thing as spooks, There's no such thing as spooks, There's no such thing as spooks."

So with that in mind along comes Tweed, an individual who has had an experience or two that has made them think about 'things'...Mob mentality takes over and the 'group' tries it's hardest to convince the 'odd man out' (and themselves) that their view is the right view...

I see it in my Church ALL the time... The different organizations with-in the Church want to fellowship and reinforce their beliefs but will not go 'out of their way' to share with non-members...Oh they will tell them I'm a member of '000000' and either leave it at that OR they will SWING with the scriptures and try to 'pound' in the fact that 'it's our Church's way or no way at all'.

NEITHER group (church or circled non-ghost believers) allows for a discussion that may convince individuals otherwise... (how dare they not think like the group...)

Do not be all 'down in the mouth' about things... You have personal experiences that back up why you believe the 'Paranormal' is a real thing, and you have others here at YGS that feel the same way.

(I bet if you ask them as a group if any one of them has had an experience they can not, or were unable to explain there will be at least one of them that says 'yes'... Maybe not in front of the group but off to the side 'in confidence'. Peer Pressure can be a GREAT suppressor.)

Anyway my friend... You are not alone. I catch funny looks and snide comments all the time because of my belief's. Chin up, someday they will get their 'wake-up' call.

Respectfully,

Rook

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: