You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Poltergeists / Physical Manifestations :: This Wasn't Funny Anymore

Real Ghost Stories

This Wasn't Funny Anymore

 

My husband was stationed at Ft. Wainwright, AK with the Army. We lived on base in some of the oldest family housing there. It was built in the 1930's and had been used as barracks before it was family housing. Almost as soon as we moved in, I sensed that we weren't alone in the house.

I started having nightmare which I don't usually have and would wake up in the middle of the night feeling like something was standing over me. My cat would stare at random spots on the walls and ceiling. My dog would bark and growl for no reason. Sometimes I would be alone and feel like I was being watched. I've had experiences with the paranormal before and I never felt threatened but whatever was there. But when it learned a new trick it really started to annoy me.

It started out when a remote disappeared. Of course my husband and I blamed each other and tore the house apart looking for this remote to no avail. We actually had to go to the cable company and buy and new one.

About I month later we were going to bed and as my husband pulled the covers back the remote was in the middle of the bed. I KNOW that the remote wasn't there when I made the bed that morning. We we're just kind of like "huh". I just put the remote on the nightstand and went to bed. When little things kept disappearing and turning up in strange spots, we began to think that maybe it was our invisible roommate doing it.

Things really seemed to escalate when my husband left for Iraq. I was alone in the house so I know that if I didn't move stuff then, it must be something else messing with me. When my toothbrush went missing I had had enough. I said loudly to whatever was there that it wasn't funny anymore and I give it back.

The next day I found my toothbrush on a shelf in the mudroom. Things stopped disappearing but I think I must have hurt its feelings because I started getting the feeling of being watched more and more. Also there were times when I actually started to feel uncomfortable in my own house.

One night it got so bad I had a friend come over to stay the night because I just didn't feel right by myself. We hung out for a while and went to bed. I went to my room and almost as soon as I laid down I heard her door slam shut. I jumped up to see what was wrong. I opened the door and she was terrified. She said that she watched the door slowly close and then as it got closer to being shut, it just slammed. Now I feel I should tell you that this is in the dead of winter in Alaska. It's -40 out and there are no windows open and no drafts. We ended up both sleeping on the couch that night and shortly after that I was offered a chance to move houses and I took it.

Other hauntings by dee_taylor_85

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, dee_taylor_85, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Walter_R (1 stories) (81 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-04-15)
Well I would have told that demon to leave in Jesus's name and to never return to the house again. Then I would be living in peace and quite.

I would also ask Jesus to put a crown of thorns around the house. No demon would get in that way for sure.

Then I would hang crosses up in every room. Just for the heck of it.

Take care,

Walter 😁
scary (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2011-03-24)
😕 this is not funny
Really misterious! Anyway I think that it's a good idea to vacate
kbohling (1 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-01-31)
Sounds like my house. Wasn't on 599th was it? I'm having the same problem on Wainwright right now except it is messing with my baby. Housing won't do anything and we are going to pcs soon so we don't want to move.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2008-11-21)
Even if you did upset the spirit, it's YOUR house and you have a right not to be harassed in it! If the spirit wanted something from you, it should have noticed after how frustrated you were about your toothbrush and the remote that there was probably a better way to go about getting your attention. I'm glad you were able to move. My fiance and I are going to get married soon, and then he's going to be going Active Duty. I'll be following him and living on or near the post. I hope I don't have any prankster spirits in our home! Has your husband since returned home?

Blessings,
DA
ghostluver1523 (22 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-04-24)
I think this story is weird and creepy. I would of moved right away like you did. I would wait a second.



~~ Amy ~~
whitebuffalo (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2007-12-27)
Hi Dee, I am glad that you were able to move into a home that quickly as I know how hard it is to wait for military housing to open up, and then for you to be able to move into them and out of that looong line in paperwork.
I think you really had nothing to worry about with this little guy though. If you think back, it would appear that nothing really happened until you acknowledged this presence. Until the moment where you told it that you were no longer amused, all that happened was it played with you by hiding things and then relocating them. I found my toaster in the deep freeze once. Not the best place for THAT appliance.
It can be nerve wracking to live through these types of experiences on your own though. I consider military housing as transit housing and have thought so since living there myself. And in transit housing, there is so much that can be left behind. If you happen to feel anything in this new to you house, please bless the home and yourself. While I do not think there was danger at the previous home, there is still no need to throw caution to the wind. Thank you.
SchizoSephy (74 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-27)
When I was younger stuff here would turn on volumes went up. Then it just stopped happening.
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-25)
Great story! I don't think you angered it. I think it probably started paying more attention to you because you acknowledged it when you shouted at it about the toothbrush. Seems like they were harmless little pranks but escalated because it knew you recognized it's presence and it wanted more attention. Maybe it needed your help. Who knows but good thing you were able to move into another home. 😊 -Shelby ❤ ❤
Abby (710 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-25)
Dear dee_taylor_85,

It appears that you lived in a place where there resided an uninvited guest who was a human being who died there and is trapped or earth bound. If you read other stories, comments and articles here you will find that you are not alone in these experiences. Many times the trapped or earth bound ghost or ghosts are wanting attention and use their energies to manifest such occurrences as you described. Many times they also do not wish to harm those they are haunting or annoying. It is as I have said, but the attention they want.

I would suggest to you and other readers to have their homes and other personal spaces cleansed and blessed before moving into them in order to avoid such uninvited guests and annoying present and future problems. You may wish to do this also when you leave a place in consideration for those to follow.
It will also benefit in a sale of a home or to get your rental deposit and monies refunded. Of course, your house and belongings when honored, taken care of, respected and appreciated will provide and return to you the same. Thanks, Abby
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-24)
Dang, that was a good one--concise, well supported and just plain scary.

Thanks, Dee! I hope your husband is ok while abroad and coming home soon.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-24)
Whew. That was a great story. Considering where yiu were staying and that many people had gone threw there before, it may have been a very active spot.

I am glad for your sake, you were able to relocate nad not have to be anxious all of the time not knowing what to expect.

God Bless!
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-24)
Hi, dee! What a great story, thanks for sharing with us. I think you might have made the spirit feel a little upset, but I don't think you really had to worry. He just seems a harmless little prankster with a little bit of attitude. I'm glad you feel more comfortable now, since you've moved. I'm guessing your house guest hasn't shown up to fool with you. Let us know if anything else does happen!
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-23)
Interesting, would love to have a chance to witness something of that nature. A door slamming shut on its own or opening on its own for that matter. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
Abercrombie (2 stories) (45 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-23)
I think you hurt the poor little spirit's feelings. Shame on you. It was only trying to play games, perhaps it was a child. Now you have angered it, and I hope it doesn't hurt anyone. 😕

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: