You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Dad And The Cow

Real Ghost Stories

Dad And The Cow

 

It wasn't that long ago if said the word ghost to me I would automatically "say your crazy, no such thing, go smoke another one " That was until the following had occurred. Living where I do, you seldom ever get an unexpected visitor. Just me, my family, and the cows. It was late October and I had stayed home sick from work that day. Truth be told I was just tired from not sleeping the night before.

I kept thinking I was hearing someone in the house that night, not any particular noise. It was a shuffle hear, a slight cough there and on a few occasions I thought I heard my nickname being said. Every time I heard a noise I would get out of bed and try to find whatever was making the racket. My boys were sound asleep, but my dog was whining and hiding underneath her dog bed. Didn't really think much of it. She hates when it storms so I thought maybe there was one coming in and I just didn't hear the thunder yet. Well the storm never came and the noises happened all night long. I woke my husband up a few times, he said it was just the house settling. I knew it wasn't the house settling, but I did my best to ignore it and sleep.

I spent most of the next day on the couch sleeping on and off. Around 2:30pm (and yes I remember the time vividly) I took my dog out for a walk. Let me begin by explaining that my dog is very very protective of me so much to the point where if anyone comes near me she will growl and snip. After coming inside my dog went crazy and ran into the hallway leading from my living room to the two other bedrooms in my house. Growling, barking, snarling. This was not my how my dog acted unless she felt threatened.

I walked very cautiously into the area to see what was going on and nothing was there, but my dog wouldn't let me go into the hallway. It scared me enough that I got my pistol out and proceeded to grab my dog and lock her up in her cage. Let me stop you right there... When you live as far as I do out in the country you have to have protection whether it be from strangers that mean you harm to a random rogue alligator in your backyard threatening the safety of your family or animals. On average it would take a police officer 45 minutes to get to where we are located. Being that my father was a cop I am very well versed in weapons and their safety. So please don't think I grabbed a gun not knowing how or when to use it properly... Now on with the rest of the story I just knew someone had came into my home when I was walking my dog around the back of my house.

I called my mother who was at work and made her stay on the phone as I investigated every room. Not like she could do anything, she was at least 45 minutes away, but I needed some emotional support. I even scoped out my 8ft by 6ft laundry room. I found Nothing, absolutely nothing, not a single thing out of place. Nothing was wrong so why is my dog still freaking out?

Processing the fact no one else was there scared me even more because when I was younger I had a dog do something similar only to find out it was going nuts because a snake had gotten into our home. So now I'm looking in every little nook just knowing some gross snake had slithered its way into my home and was going to bite me on the butt. Pistol still in hand. After I exhausted every place to search, I returned the gun back to the safe. Put towels under the doors in case it was a snake that I couldn't find (that job would be left for my husband). He would have to be the big bad snake hunter, I wanted no part in that.

This entire time my dog is still freaking out. I decided to take her outside again. Maybe calm both of our nerves. I want you to know at this point in time the word "ghost" never popped into my mind. After several minutes outside we came back in. This time she wouldn't leave my side and had a low gutter growl. I walked past the hallway only to find something in the middle of the hallway that was not there before. I stood there in shock knowing what I was seeing was gut wrenchingly real and there was only one way it could have gotten there, impossible as it may seem.

It was a small stuffed cow that had a ruffly white dress. After my father had passed several years before, my sister had made it for the top of my Christmas tree so that he would always be apart of our Christmases. The dress was made out of my fathers old handkerchiefs he would wear with his police uniform. I kept this cow out year round, but just recently I put it on top of a bookshelf towards the back and put several fall decorations around the sides of it and in front of it. Actually you couldn't even see the cow because of the decorations. There was no possible way it could have fallen, been blown, or even knocked down. Everything on top of that shelf was the exact same as it was before. It was like someone stood on a ladder picked the cow up and placed it standing straight up in the exact middle of the hallway floor. God as my witness, it was in the middle of my floor. Bewildered, confused, astonished, frightened, and any and all adjectives that can describe complete and utter shock can be inserted here.

My dog still growling now also started towards the cow. The closer she got the hair on her back was standing up and the growl turned into a whine. I followed her and when we reached the cow I immediately picked the cow up (without any fear) and began to sob. Hysterically sob, uncontrollably sob, the type of sobbing you do when you have lost someone you loved with all of your heart.

At that moment I felt my father was there, I could smell his cigarette smoke. I swear to you I could smell him. He smoked a very distinctive brand of cigarettes. Here is the kicker... For several weeks before this had happened every once in a while all of us in the house would catch a hint of cigarette smoke. Only for a brief moment and then it would disappear. It seemed to happen when we all were in the dining room. (Where the cow was before I moved her to the bookshelf. I had never put it all together until several weeks after.) I had quit two years before and never ever smoked inside, so while we went nuts trying to figure out where it was coming from we just attributed it to a really really old cigarette butt being somewhere we couldn't see. That\'s plausible, Right?

I know how crazy this all sounds, I am not one of those people that put stock in hauntings, ghost spirits, monsters under the bed. I am a God loving Christen, I believe in the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit. Not the spirit that goes bump in the night, But there was no explanation for what happened and how I felt. I feel as if my father was unhappy with me for putting him where he couldn't see us and keep an eye on us.

The cow stayed out on top of the bookshelf, but I put her front and center for all to see and for it to see all. It went on top of the tree as it normally does and when I took the tree down she was put on a shelf in the family room. Not a single peep from the cow and no cigarette smoke smell either. So whatever it was seems to be appeased now, or so I thought.

There have been a few other things that have happened recently that have brought all this back up. One night me my husband and son all fell asleep out in our living room watching TV. Something we do most weekends. Me and my husband were awakened to a sound of something tearing. I got up and looked around and found (in that same hallway) a wall decal that has the definition of family on it had been pealed off the wall. Not fell, but pealed. It wasn't a fast noise like it had lost grip on my wall and fell off. But instead it was slow, and drawn out. I could have sworn I heard someone say my name right after it hit the ground. I put the decal back up and it has not "fell" again. The next morning I went into the hallway to try and explain away what had happened the night before. Looking all around I noticed my cow had been moved back to the top of the bookshelf in the hallway and the box where I keep my fathers obituary and picture was open. It was on the same bookshelf in the same hallway with the same hint of cigarette smoke.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Florida

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, smacrocknash, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Aaru275 (4 stories) (55 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-04-25)
That's very emotional. May your dad rest in peace. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.
MaybeADreamer (4 stories) (58 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-04-24)
smacrocknash - I too believe that I have a family member still with me. It is a nice feeling that they are still with you keeping an eye on you.

However, if you are worried that something else is around maybe you should try Rooks cleansing method (on his webpage), it is only to remove unwanted energies. If your dad is there and you want him there it should not affect his presence but will put your mind at rest.

With reference to your comment "I had to loose the love of my life to find the love of my future", I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason and I think your dad was just helping you realise this.

I wish you and your husband all the best with this xx
smacrocknash (1 stories) (2 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-04-23)
Tweed, the only other thing that is in that box is a sand dollar we found on the beach. Around the same time it happened we did find out that his sister had passed and no one had bothered informing us of it. She lived in a different state and we hadn't spoken in years.

All through-out my home is pictures of my father and some of his knick knacks in every room. My husbands father passed two weeks after mine did. Actually that is how I met my husband. My mother worked with him and thought it would be good idea if I talked with someone who was dealing with the same thing. So when we married two years later and built our house we collectively decided to have something of our fathers in each room. One of the last things my dad had said to me is all that he had ever wanted in his life was for me and my sister to find love and be happy. I told him "Daddy I am happy, and I can wait on the love part".He said "no you can't". I lost him a few days later. I always felt like, I had to loose the love of my life to find the love of my future. Like it was my dads last gift to me.

All of this has made me open my mind and my eyes a little more. I wish I had been more open to it earlier.

As far as feeling threatened, I believe we are safe. Famous last words right? 🤔 There is more of a feeling of despair/dread and that's only when something happens and there isn't a smell of smoke. The fear that was felt was simply me not knowing what was going on.
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-04-23)
Since you smell your dad's cigarette smoke I'd say this is his way of confirming 'it's me'. His own stamp that he's here.
I'm not saying that if something happens without the smell that it's definitely not him but that the smell seems like a great communication method. A method he's tailored to you, because he knows you'll get it.
As well as cleansing I'd also suggest putting some of your father's things around the house. This could help keep the energy positive and also help your dad to protect you against whatever else might be happening.
Could there be something specific about the box or its contents that your dad wants to address?
Perhaps he's trying to tell you something.
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-23)
smacrocknash-I remember that happening. Tragic, just tragic.

I was wondering about the second visit. IF it was or wasn't your father. To me, the cow being put back up out of sight was... Something saying "NO". This is just some rambling thoughts here. A different entity is wanting the attention?

There are cleansing options available suited to your religious believes that might be a thought. If you feel threatened or your family does I would recommend that.

We are glad you shared this with us. This is a helpful site. It has helped me through some tough times. I am sure others will join your story and lend some thoughts and advice.
smacrocknash (1 stories) (2 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-04-23)
Thank you for the feedback on my experience. To answer your questions Wish-Not, My dog never met my father. I never really thought about in in that way. To her he was a stranger. The second incident I felt nothing but fear. Weird right? There was a part to the story I never told.

After the decal incident we all headed to our bedrooms. My husband and I were both a little shaken up. I turned my Tv on so I would have some background noise and light. After a few minutes of being on my satellite receiver turned off and there was this horrible loud white noise for about five seconds. Then everything went back to normal. (hasn't happened since that night) My husband and I sat straight up and bolted for my son. And of course he was fine and passed out. Like most 13 year old boys, he could sleep through a hurricane.

Looking back with an open mind there were a lot of things that have happened in the passed that I have brushed off. The one that stand out the most is my son telling me there was a man in the hallway, and he wouldn't be quiet. He started saying this when he was 5 and said it up until he was 10. Then he demanded the door to be shut. I attributed that to becoming "pre-teen". Recently, he told me it was the only way he could fall asleep and not feel like the guy in the hallway was watching him sleep. Scared the crap out of me when he said it to me. What if It's not just my Dad?

Where we live in FL was originally settled by the Native Americans. Digging ponds on the property have uncovered human remains dating back to the mid 1800s. Sounds very poltergeisty, so cliche I know. But between that and one of our surrounding neighbors killing four members of his family on Thanksgiving. Makes me wonder if not everything I have heard and seen have been strictly my father.

Thank you guys for letting me get this off my chest. I appreciate all the kind words.
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-04-23)
Smacrocknash, what a beautiful experience!

Certainly seems that your dad wants you to know he's still around and watches over you and yours. 😊
Urgh the paranormal vs a physical danger, think we've all made fools of ourselves with that. But with good and proper reason!
If he keeps visiting you your dog will eventually get used to him. Might take a while but all my family's dogs got used to sensing the same ghosts around.

Thanks so much for sharing!
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-23)
smackrocknash- It was a great story! Thanks for sharing it with us.

I was wondering if your dog ever had the chance to know your dad? Or if he would have been a complete stranger? Might be reason for your dogs reaction. Maybe.

The defense reaction is completely understood. I have reached for my pistol several times in a paranormal event. One just never knows. Safety first. Paranormal last.

Was curious if you "felt" your father the second time like you did the first? Has anything happened since?

Again, great story!
Hecate0 (4 stories) (418 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-04-23)
Great story, Smackrocknash. My father is still with me, too. It is very comforting. Too bad they have to work so hard to get us to notice sometimes, eh? My best to you and your family, including the dearly departed.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+3
9 years ago (2015-04-23)
smackrocknash - what a great story! I laughed so many times while you were going through the scenario looking for an intruder, even though I understood exactly how you felt (live in the country LOL). I teared up when you realized it was your dad. I cannot imagine how that feels, but your retelling of the experience was truly wonderful.

I guess our loved ones don't want to be put on a shelf and possibly forgotten ❤ Thank you for submitting this 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: