You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Who Was Walking Around The House?

Real Ghost Stories

Who Was Walking Around The House?

 

This encounter in particular was just outright odd. Nothing that would make you scream in terror, but it was disturbing.

First of all, before I go into the story let me explain the layout of my house because the rest of the story won't make sense if I don't.

My house is a 1-story brick home. As soon as you come in through the front door you are immediately in the living room, and across from it several feet away to the right is the den, which is made lower than the living room so you step down into it from a short stoop.

Ok, back to the beginning. As you are coming in through the front door and into the living room, directly in front of you several feet away is an open doorway which leads to the hallway corridor. If you go to the immediate left there is the door to my bedroom (which I shared with my two siblings at the time). If you go directly across and in front of you there is an open doorway leading to the kitchen. If you go to the right you are immediately in the hallway. On the left wall down the hallway is the bathroom. A few feet down from the bathroom is the master bedroom. Directly across from the master bedroom on the opposite side is another open doorway that leads to the den, which again you step down into. The whole layout is not as confusing as it sounds. Just imagine a rectangle with two parallel lines in the middle of it length-wise, three squares at the top half, and three squares on the bottom and you kind of got the picture.

Now I can begin with the story. I cannot for the life of me remember what grade I was in (maybe the 6th grade, circa 1996), but I think it was somewhere around the start of the new school year. I was sleeping on the couch in the den that night while everyone else slept in their respective bedrooms. The way I was laying on the couch, my head was next to the open doorway that led to the hallway corridor, which was to my right.

I am not sure what time it was but it had to been during the wee hours of the morning (I'm guessing around 2 or 3 am). The house was almost completely dark, but it had just enough illumination from the hallway nightlight to allow you to see a little bit. I was half asleep when I was awakened by the sound of very soft footsteps walking around aimlessly in a big circle, going down the hallway, back around into the living room, stepping down into the den, and then stepping back up into the hallway again, making the floor creak slightly as they passed by my head. At first I thought it was maybe one of my parents just checking around the house or something, so I just kind of ignored it and drifted back off... You know that daze that you be in when you're half asleep and you just kind of ignore things that should otherwise make you think?

I managed to slightly doze back off. However, the footsteps persisted and I woke up again thinking to myself, "Who is that and why are they just walking around the house like that?". I didn't sit up, I just laid there and opened my eyes waiting for whoever it was to come back around. To my surprise, when I heard the footsteps come by me there was absolutely no one there. At first I thought I was imagining things given the fact that I abruptly woke up, so I waited for them to come back around again. When my eyes told me that I should now be seeing someone, the footsteps went right on by and yet again, there was no one in sight. I mean you could just hear it, "shuffle, shuffle, shuffle".

I was, at the same time, confused and scared. All I could do was pull the covers over my head and lay as still as possible. The footsteps continued on for a pretty good while but I knew that I had to get up in a few hours for school, so I tried my best to go back to sleep. How I managed to do it, I don't know.

Til this very day I have absolutely no clue who or what that was. I didn't think anymore of it after that night, but that was a pretty creepy experience.

Other hauntings by Dee-J

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Dee-J, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Dee-J (12 stories) (69 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-01-05)
Hi Darkangel73!

I wish I could agree with you on the bravery part. I most definitely cowarded out in that experience. Lol!

When I heard the footsteps I was more confused than anything for the first several minutes because I had abruptly woke up and I didn't really process it too well. It wasn't until they kept coming back around that I started to make the connection that I wasn't seeing anyone pass by that I started to freak out.

Sometimes in moments of fear all you can do is freeze, unless the situation is threatening enough to where your adrenaline really kicks in and you have to make a break for it. I was so scared the only thing I could do at the time was pull the covers over my head. I just felt helpless lying there as still as possible while still hearing those footsteps go by continuously. It was crazy. With me being younger at the time, it didn't help much either as I didn't have the same courage as I have now.

You mentioned that you are from North Carolina. I am going to check some of your stories now! The Carolinas are rich in spiritual activity. A lot has happened in these two historic states so I have no doubts when people from the Carolinas such as myself have their share of spook tales.

Thanks for reading!
Darkangel73 (4 stories) (127 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-04)
Dee-J...I would probably of ran right out the front door if I had heard that invisible shuffling by my head, you were a brave soul. I live in North Carolina and believe me have had my share of experiences here. Thanks for the story again your were a brave one!
Zander (7 stories) (146 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-07-11)
I don't know why but one thought that occurred to me was that this could be a spirit of a Native American who used to walk through the area where your house is now. Another could be someone passed on in your family just 'checking' on you. In Psychic Discoveries Behind the Iron Curtain, the explanation concerning how much closer to the spirit world we are in that 'twilight' sort of sleep which you described is given. You might find it interesting. Rebel Yell, y'all ~ born in Mississippi by the way 😉
Dee-J (12 stories) (69 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-11)
RedWolf: I agree, South Carolina is DEFINITELY rich in history and there are tons of paranormal hot spots in and around the state. South Carolina is one of those states that's just old and creepy to begin with (especially the Pee Dee region). You never know the history of the spot you're in.;-) On the latter note, the house that I grew up in (which my parents had to be built a year before I was born) was on a heavily wooded piece of land. No one lived there before we did.

Your friends account that you mentioned is not the first time I've heard about that. Other people have mentioned that they have had the same experiences with spectral reenactments, so MAYBE there is some truth to it. I have yet to experience it myself but I'm definitely open to it.
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-07-10)
Hi Dee-J,
You know the Carolinas among other states are rich in history from the Civil War. It's possible that where your house stands now was a makeshift hospital at the time and the shuffling you heard is just a residual haunting of someone who helped take care of the wounded checking to see if they were all asleep.
Years ago someone I was a friend of was in an area that they do Civil War re-enactments. He was walking down the street and heard a lot of voices and gunshots. There was bushes along the ssidewalk and he climbed through to watch what he thought was such a re-enactment. After watching for a pretty long time everybody just disappeared. You can imagine how scared he got.
Regards
Red
Dee-J (12 stories) (69 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-07-08)
Griff84: Thanks for your response! We didn't have any pets at that time. I did in fact ask my family the next morning if they've been up any the night before. None of them had. I definitely thought it was my father because it sounded like his foot steps, but he said he wasn't up.

Obviously I knew it wasn't anyone of them because I couldn't see anyone during the time I heard the footsteps. It was dark in the house but not pitch black due to the soft illumination from the hallway nightlight, so you could definitely see a little bit.

To answer your last question, I have DEFINITELY experienced other activity than this particular one. Lol. If you'd like, you can read my other stories I have here. I've had many but there's only a few I will share.

Cheers!
Griff84 (5 stories) (289 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-07-08)
Hi Dee-J, Did you have any animals at that time? Also, did you speak to your family and see if it could have been one f them which you didn't see, or even if they ever experienced similar?

Did you ever experience anything other than this time?

Thanks for sharing 😊
Lavenders (2 stories) (16 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-07)
Bet that'll teach you to fall asleep out in the den ever again XD

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: