You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Encounters With Phil

Real Ghost Stories

Encounters With Phil

 

I've been enjoying reading lots of stories here so I thought I'd share my own experiences. I hope you enjoy!

My first ghostly encounters happened when I was about 11 or 12 years old (I am now 32). I lived with my dad but he worked evenings, not getting home until about midnight, so my aunt would pick me up after school and I would stay at her house until my dad got off work. She and her husband lived in a mobile home in Houston, TX. Her husband did maintenance work and kept a lot of his tools under the trailer. One day he was under there getting a tool out and saw a handle sticking up out of the dirt. Curious, he dug it up. It turned out to be a briefcase. Inside were various papers. From them, my aunt learned that the briefcase belonged to a man named Phil who was in the middle of organizing a high school reunion. Everything dated to the 1960's. My aunt freaked out and told her husband to throw it all away.

Not long after this, things started getting weird. There were so many things that happened, I'll focus on the ones that have stuck with me the most.

One day, I was taking a bath. It was a huge garden tub. The water faucet was at the head of the tub like you would expect, but the drain was on the back side closest to the wall, in the middle of the tub. By the time the tub filled up, I was ready to get out, so I turned the water off and reached for the plug, only to find the water draining already. Looking up, the plug was sitting on the opposite side of the bathtub. Needless to say, I got out of the bathroom in a hurry.

Another day, my sister and her husband were over to play cards. I wasn't playing so I got up to open the door for another family friend. My aunt has always been a fanatic about keeping the door locked. I distinctly remember locking the door because I had to lean on it to get it to lock after the family friend came in. I sat back down at the table to watch everyone playing cards. A few minutes later, my aunt asked me if I locked the door. I said yes and then we all look at the front door which was most definitely NOT locked. Every single person in the house was sitting at the table and no one had gotten up since I locked it.

The last notable incident I remember freaked us out the most. The same family friend was over again, asleep on the couch in the living room. My aunt and I were about to leave to pick up her daughter from school. She had two remotes for the TV. One was on the coffee table, one was on the back of the couch. My aunt told me to turn off the TV as we were walking out. I pushed the power button on the TV and walked back to the door where my aunt was waiting for me. She had her hand on the door knob to open the door when the TV came back on suddenly. It was on channel 53 (which did not exist as she didn't have cable) and a Bugs Bunny cartoon was playing crystal clear. I should also mention, it was an old tube TV that automatically went to channel 2 whenever turned on. My aunt and I just froze with mouths hanging open, looked at the TV, looked at each other, then looked at the family friend who was still snoring away on the couch in full view and hadn't moved a muscle. I went back to the TV, turned it off then back on. It came on, on channel 2. I put the TV on channel 53 and got static. Flipped through every channel and Bugs Bunny was not on any channel.

There were endless other little things that happened all the time. Things moving, odd noises, the usual. Nothing odd had happened until my uncle dug up that briefcase and my aunt made him throw it away. So we named the ghost Phil. I don't think Phil meant any harm. I think he was just bored. I know I would be if I were a ghost. I don't ever remember feeling scared. A little, how did that happen, but not like I was in danger.

I have some other encounters from another house that I will post as a separate story that I will title "The Pink House". Hope you enjoy!

Other hauntings by Tiffrb20

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Tiffrb20, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-07-31)
Hi... Tiffny (I like your name what does it means?) ... Awesome story... I loved it... Narrated very well 😁 I think the spirit was attached with that brief case... Thanks for sharing 😁
MystieGypsy (15 posts)
+3
9 years ago (2015-07-30)
Perhaps Phil was asking you, "What's up, Doc?" in the only way he could communicate. 😆

Anyway, kidding aside, I enjoyed your story.
Tweed (35 stories) (2497 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-07-30)
Tiff welcome!

I'm glad Miracles has asked about Bugs 'cause it was what I couldn't wait to know. 😆 Well I can't shake the feeling that Phil (or someone else) was trying to tell you something, through obscure clues. I agree, seems they meant well. Off to read your next story!
DeathByDonut (guest)
+1
9 years ago (2015-07-30)
Tiff:
Welcome to YGS😁
Awesome experiences and are well written. And the best part is Bugs-Bunny...Just love it

I was quite addicted to Bugs Bunny that I have kept my girlfriend's pet name as Bugs 😜
Lol

Yours respectfully,
DBD
Tiffrb20 (2 stories) (5 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-07-30)
Miracles-ROFL facelifts, tummy tucks! I really do wish I could remember which Bugs cartoon it was. I have always loved Bugs and have seen so many different episodes, they all kind of blend together.

I hadn't ever thought to try and date the cartoon. It could have nothing to do with it or it could be a time frame clue.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
9 years ago (2015-07-30)
Tiff - I am a fan of Google LOL so I found that Bugs "first appeared on July 27, 1940" (http://time.com/3967572/bugs-bunny-75/), and just celebrated his 75th birthday. I imagine he has had more facelifts, tummy tucks, etc than most human celebrities 😆
Tiffrb20 (2 stories) (5 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-07-30)
Hi Miracles51031! It was 20 years ago so I don't remember exactly. I know it wasn't a very early Bugs Bunny, maybe from 70's or 80's. I don't think it was 90's because that's when they started changing all the good classic cartoon characters into silly modern characters. I don't even know what year Bugs was "born". LOL.

In regards to Phil's briefcase, my aunt and I have wondered the same thing, did he become active because it was found, or because it was thrown away?
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
9 years ago (2015-07-30)
Tiffrb20 - welcome to YGS 😊 Because I can completely identify with paranormal happenings in trailers, I very much enjoyed your story.

I wonder if the discovery of Phil's briefcase is what initiated the experiences, or if it was because the briefcase was thrown away 😕

I've been locked inside a trailer (twice LOL). The one thing I found very curious is the TV changing to Bugs Bunny. Do you remember if it was the old Bugs cartoon (I'm 50 so I remember the old ones LOL) or the newer one? Not that it matters, just trying to put a timeline to see if maybe it was someone other than Phil (non-living).

Thanks for sharing this with us.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: