You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: The Apartment: Ghost Or Poltergeist?

Real Ghost Stories

The Apartment: Ghost Or Poltergeist?

 

Several years ago, I had just graduated from college and began my career working full-time. I couldn't afford rent on my own yet, so some mutual friends suggested I share an apartment with a girl my same age. I agreed and it was arranged. I didn't meet her until the day we both moved in. I'll just call her "S". The best way to describe "S" is a tornado of drama, and the more people she could pull into her drama-filled life, the happier she seemed. I did my level best to stay out of her way.

Work and a boyfriend kept me busy for the first few weeks, but I started noticing a strange feeling when I was alone. It seemed like I was being watched. Not all the time... But I could definitely feel when "it" entered the room. One moment everything was perfectly normal, and without warning, the room would be charged by an unseen presence.

"It" was always silent. I never heard a noise, but when it entered the room I would immediately feel it's distinct presence. The feeling began like an invisible light tingling blanket slowly settling over my head, neck, shoulders and across my back, then ending with a prickly heaviness. It was consistent and unmistakable, always like a prickly wave.

One afternoon I was washing my face in the bathroom sink and I could feel "It" behind me, tingling and heavy across my shoulders... This time closer than ever, as if it were right on top of me. My face and eyes were full of soap, and the feeling grew stronger. I was sure that if I looked in the mirror I would finally see what it was. I quickly looked up through soapy eyes, and was actually shocked when I didn't see anything... The most disturbing part is that the feeling didn't move away, it intensified. It hovered inches away from my back, and was taunting me while my eyes searched the mirror. I saw nothing, but I KNEW It was still there, and it was laughing at me with no sound. After that, it started bothering me more often (3-4 times a day and during the night).

It seemed as if this thing either learned how to make me react, or I became a target. It began to wake me in the night. The familiar prickly feeling would wash over me and I would wake from a sound sleep. I could be watching TV or talking on the phone and suddenly there it was. I didn't mention it to anyone, especially "S", knowing the flurry of attention it would bring. I'm sure she would have called every priest or paranormal group she could find. I didn't want that, so I simply let it go.

One night, it was late and I was reading a book in bed. I was really caught up in the story, and suddenly there was that familiar feeling. I closed the book, put it down on my lap, and said out loud "OK, what?... What do you want?". Within seconds, the nightlight next to me shot out of the wall socket about 8 feet into the center of the room. You might think that would freak me out, but it didn't. I was mostly relieved to have something tangible happen.

I remember reading an article, I think it was by Stephen King where he says the monster in a story is most frightening when you don't see it. After you've seen it, it becomes real and you can find ways to deal with it... Anyway, I picked up the nightlight from the floor, shoved it back in the wall socket and went back to reading the book. I knew at that point it wasn't just a feeling, it was real.

A side note: The room I slept in was very small. I think whoever designed the apartments intended it to be a child's room or nursery. I couldn't afford furniture yet, and slept on a blow-up air mattress on the floor. The wall socket with the nightlight was just next to my head.

Because I never experienced anything like this before, I thought it could be a poltergeist brought on by "S", but it was totally silent... No banging or knocking noise of any kind, so it didn't seem like a classic poltergeist. A couple times "S" would find one of her favorite blue drinking glasses broken in the kitchen sink (some ex-boyfriend had given them to her). She blamed me, but I never touched them. Another possibility was a ghost attached to the apartment complex, or even to "S" herself. Thankfully, she seemed oblivious to anything paranormal.

I assumed the entity was attached to the apartment. However, after a few months, my boyfriend and I went on a 3 day trip to his family's cabin at Lake Tahoe, and to my horror, it followed me. I remember yelling at it several times when I was alone in the cabin... Again, I received silent mocking and laughter.

About four months later I moved away from the apartment. I was worried, because if it could follow me to Tahoe, it might follow me to my new home where I would be living alone. Several times in the new place I thought I could feel it starting to manifest, but I would quickly reject the possibility and force myself to think of something else. Eventually it stopped completely.

So here's a question... Is there such a thing as a quiet poltergeist? Can someone else's poltergeist follow you to a different location? In hindsight, it was probably just a bored spirit from the apartment. It didn't seem to have evil intentions, and it was my own fear that freaked me out. If it were to happen today, I like to think I would handle things differently. Maybe try to communicate or help it, but it seemed too creepy and I didn't want attachments.

Sorry this story isn't more exciting... "scary feelings" don't always come across well in a story, but thank you for reading.

Blue

Other hauntings by Blueraven

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Utah

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Blueraven, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Dee-J (12 stories) (69 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-05-09)
Hi Blue,

Just read your story. Your story hits home because I know the feeling all too well when you know "IT" is around. That prickly sensation along with the feeling of a soul piercing blanket of cold is definitely a sign of a presence. I used to experience this all the time growing up in my childhood home. Even though most of the times you don't hear or see nothing, the feeling from the presence just gives you insight about it, whether it's male or female, young or old, malevolent or benign, etc.

Like others have said, I am glad that it chose not to follow you to your new place. There is no telling what the motives behind it were. I don't like to jump to conclusions but I got a deep sense that had it continued long enough, it would've eventually gotten more brave to the point that it would've shown more physical activity, whether to be harmful or just for attention. That's just the feeling I got from reading the story anyway.

I know you may not be interested in reconnecting with her (and from the sound of it I couldn't blame you) but I am rather curious about whether or not your former roommate experienced anything after you moved out though. With hauntings like these the reasons "why" and the aftermath becomes more intriguing in hindsight.
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-04-20)
Blue, I've known a few people like S and can relate to that screaming crap. Oh dear, you just gotta shake your head and laugh! 😆
Blueraven (3 stories) (16 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-04-19)
Wish-Not,
LOL, that's funny... Isn't it amazing how brave we want to be, looking back in "hindsight". Yet I would probably react exactly the same if it surprised me tomorrow:D

And thank you, I've enjoyed reading many of your stories as well.
❤ Blue
Blueraven (3 stories) (16 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-04-19)
Hello Sheetal,
Thank you for the kind words. Yes, I think "S" probably did have a part to play in this experience... The energy there was so strange. Everything is fine know, and I appreciate your well wishes.

❤ Blue
Blueraven (3 stories) (16 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-04-19)
Hi Mysticalavenger5,
I'm glad you liked the story... I did read yours last year when it first came out and enjoyed it very much!

The apartment is in South SLC, Holliday area. It's a large older complex called Sandpiper Apartments. I can't make myself look at them when I drive past... Even after all these years I get that prickly feeling between my shoulders and hope it can't hop into the car, LOL.

❤ Blue
Blueraven (3 stories) (16 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-04-19)
Hi Red,
Yes, I'm torn between calling it a poltergeist or ghost, but in the end, leaning a bit toward ghost. Here's why, the way it would appear and leave, as if it had no purpose except to snoop around. It seemed really bored. Also, for some reason I got a very female feeling from the apartment ghost. I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't also enter the apartments on either side. Possibly a previous tenant who never moved on?

It's funny though, when I experienced it at the cabin, I assumed it was the same ghost following me. I yelled things like "Go away, you can't have him, he's my boyfriend!" (silly, I know). "IT" got a really good laugh over that. So looking back, it's possible I went there already "tuned in" to ghost frequency, and the Tahoe ghost was completely different... And a male. 😐

Thanks for the feedback! ❤
Blue
Blueraven (3 stories) (16 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-04-19)
Hi Tweed,
Thank you for your comments. And sincere apologies for responding so late, I was unaware the story was already posted.

I do think "S" had something to do with the entity being there. If it wasn't her poltergeist, she certainly had extra emotion to feed it... If that's what it wanted.

For example, one evening she was watching women's gymnastics on tv, and I heard a loud scream from the living room. I came running to see if she was hurt. Turns out the tv gymnast had almost slipped off the balance beam. "S" was fine, so I went back to my room. Then she did it twice more before I realized she just wanted attention. She could have asked me to stay and watch, and I would have, but I think she just wanted to see how many times she could manipulate me.

In the end, she was shrieking at everything, it got ridiculous... I felt bad for ignoring her, but it was pretty funny too. Such drama! [laqugh]

Thanks,
Blue
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-04-14)
Well Blue, I suppose that since you are no longer dealing with this particular "haunting" it would be hard to say what it actually was.

I would like to bring up a point of your "hindsight". I personally have lost count of how many times I said "I could have handled that differently". The majority were not intended for me mess my pants, so to speak lol. It was just the SURPRISE factor. Most times I over reacted. But dang it, it's hard not to. After all it is the paranormal! Anyways, don't beat yourself up over your reactions.

Great read, thanks for sharing.
sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-04-14)
Hello, Blue! Nice story and enjoyed reading this! I am agree with tweed I also think that It was some poltergeist brought by 'S'... Hope everything is fine now! Thanks for sharing
mysticalavenger5 (1 stories) (11 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-04-14)
Hi blue raven! Great story! I too am from Utah and I published a story about an old farm in kaysville. Can you at least tell us the city and or apartment name? I think it was an attachment ghost... They'll follow you. Thank you for The story.:)
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-04-13)
Blue
It could have been a poltergeist brought on by S or it could have been a ghost. Either way it seemed to prefer you because IT didn't want to deal with her drama. It went away with you just think of it that way. Just be thankful it didn't follow you to your new place. Maybe it's bothering S now if she doesn't have a new room mate. I would be annoyed with the 'friends' that hooked you up with her.
Regards
Red
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-04-13)
Hi Blue,

I'd bet this was a poltergeist brought about by S. All signs point to it, even those broken glasses given to her by her ex. Think back to when the activity seemed most intense. Were you in a good place in your life, happy, good relationship etc? I ask this because I got the impression S could be quite jealous of others happiness. She does sound very unbearable. So any poltergeist/thoughtform from her would probably be an exaggeration of these traits. Also the fact 'it' followed you and seemed to target you.

I don't see why poltergeists have to be confined to just banging etc. There's got to be a multitude of other behaviours they're capable of, I think it's different for each.

Props to you for handling this the way you did! I think Hitchcock also said something similar about not seeing 'the beast' so to speak.

Thanks for sharing, enjoyed reading this. 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: