You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Don't Make Eye Contact

Real Ghost Stories

Don't Make Eye Contact

 

My then boyfriend, now husband, and I were on one of the many car rides from central Florida to Jacksonville, Florida we used to make at the beginning of our relationship when it was long distance (2 ½ hours is long when only one of you has a car and the other is in school etc.).

Anyway, we got off the highway in search of a gas station. We were driving down the road and saw one up ahead on the left side of the median. There were two lanes, a grass/cement median, two more lanes, and then the gas station entrance. We get over to the left turning lane by the median and I look over to see a man standing in the middle of the entrance to the gas station and he looks royally PISSED. We made eye contact and he looked at me as though there were not a person on this Earth that he hated more. I looked away and thought to myself, man that guy shouldn't be standing there he's bound to get hit by a car. Then it dawned on me; he's not a real person. I looked back quickly and he was gone. I told my husband (he knows I am sensitive to these things) what I just saw.

I find in my experience the way I can tell the difference between a flesh and blood person and a person who has passed is that they are somewhere they don't belong. Such as standing in the middle of the road or standing in a bush etc. The few people that I have seen, it's usually in my peripheral or if it is straight on the being is usually at a distance, like this man was.

We turned into the gas station and it was apparent that it had just finished raining in the area. My boyfriend got out of the Prius to go inside to pay and closed his door. Immediately things were strange. As soon as he closed the door it was complete silence in the car. As you know, if you're at a gas station there are people gassing up, getting in and out of their cars, talking, sometimes there is even music playing; nothing. It was complete silence.

That is until, *plop*. This was the sound of a water drop hitting the top of the car from the covered areas that are over the gas pumps in case of bad weather. Again... *plop*. It is still silent otherwise and I start feeling very uncomfortable and afraid. It felt as though something horrible was about to happen so I stared down at my feet. I felt as though if I looked out my window that man would be standing there. I felt it in my soul! I just knew he was there! When that thought crossed my mind there was another *PLOP*. Except MUCH louder this time! It didn't make any sense to me that the volume of the water drops, the force in which they hit the car could increase, but I swear it did! And still SILENCE. It was maddening! All I could hear was the water drops hitting the car and I didn't dare look out the window. *PLOP*...*PLOP*...*PLOP* I couldn't take it anymore! I squeezed my eyes shut and threw open my door and got out of the car. I looked up and my boyfriend was standing by the rear of the car and had just FINISHED pumping gas.

I didn't hear ANYTHING! Everyone knows the familiar sound of the person gassing up unscrewing the gas lid it falling and lightly hitting the side of the car, the obnoxious loud beeps when you select your fuel grade and then put the nozzle into the tank. I heard NONE of this and he was already finished! As soon as I got out of the car and saw my boyfriend, the sounds the noises everything came rushing back. The sick feeling in my gut was gone and things were normal again. I don't know what happened to that man or why he was so angry! But I do know if you make eye contact and they know you can see them, they will try to get your attention.

Note to self-*DON'T make eye contact. Thank you for reading.

Other hauntings by PunkysMama

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Florida

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, PunkysMama, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

PunkysMama (4 stories) (62 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-05-17)
Hello andy_sanz77,

I definitely feel that if they know you can see them or you react to them in some way it motivates them to keep it up and try to get your attention even more.

This can lead to a very curious experience or a frightening one in most cases for the average person! 😨

Thank you for reading my experience.
andy_sanz77 (1 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-05-17)
I experienced that I saw a ghost and I never made an eye contact on him I just walking straight because if I got afraid, he would likely to haunt me. Hahaha!
PunkysMama (4 stories) (62 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-05-13)
Hello Elfstone810,

Thank you for your kind words! These are easy stories to tell because they actually happened and it's easy to describe something that happened! But coming up with your own creative ideas to actually be a writer? That takes skill. And then to be able to put it on paper in a way that makes someone want to read it? Again, skill! 😁

But I understand what you are saying and appreciate you saying it to me! I know I can't be the only one who has a friend that is an amazing artist! Can draw anything beautifully, or plays the drums, or makes jewelry! And your like, WHY DON'T I HAVE TALENTS?! 😠

Which obviously is a bit hyperbolic considering everyone is good at something! Haha!

Anyway, thank you for reading and I am glad you enjoyed! More to come still 😉
elfstone810 (227 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-05-13)
PunkysMama, thanks for sharing yet another interesting story! 😁

In the comments on your other story you mentioned that you wanted to be a writer but that your writing never sounds good enough to you. First, all it takes to be a writer is to write. That's all. There's no entrance exam or secret handshake. So you are already a writer. See? You have these two stories on here to prove it.

As for it not sounding good enough to you, we are all our own harshest critic. You really do write well and if you're interested in pursuing it as a career you should go for it.
PunkysMama (4 stories) (62 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-05-12)
Darkangel73,

I can only imagine what happened to this man and why he was hanging around that particular gas station. He very well could have been the victim of a hit and run or maybe something worse. 😨

Perhaps that was the reason for his anger, I just didn't get the feeling that he had a message to relay. If anything I felt like he just had a bone to pick with whoever was unfortunate enough to cross his path. 😠

Either way, I hope he has found peace and no longer haunts the spot looking for someone to harass.

Thank you for reading!
PunkysMama (4 stories) (62 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-05-12)
Manafon1,

It is interesting to learn that the amplified noises from this experience and the complete lack of other outside/normal noises is a common occurrence in the paranormal realm of things. I haven't read of many situations like this to the point where I have noticed a trend but I mean Exhibit A, your lighthouse story with the piercing scream as you mentioned. It was other worldly from the description you gave that's for sure.

I guess energy is key here whenever the paranormal is involved. And sounds are transferred via energy. Thank you for giving me some things to ponder on. 😁
Darkangel73 (4 stories) (127 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-05-11)
PunkysMama- That is a crazy story! Thank you for that information, because I honestly don't want to see anything, but you can't control what you see or don't see these days! You ever think that man could of been the victim of a hit and run accident or just a car vs pedestrian in general? Maybe I am wrong but that sounds like this could be the case and this man is angry because his killer wasn't brought to justice.
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-05-11)
PunkysMama--Another interesting story. The strangely loud volume of the drops that you mention in your account is something that comes up time and again in paranormal stories where sound plays a role. There are many stories on YGS where this element is mentioned and in several case studies I have read this aspect is also mentioned.

It is very telling that you didn't hear the normal gas station sounds but just the weirdly amplified drops of water. I read a well documented case a few months back where a man, who was reading in his den, heard a piercing scream and the unusually loud sound of stones crunching from outside his window as if someone was approaching. This man's wife, who was in the room immediately next to the den heard absolutely nothing. As with your example, the other person present (your boyfriend) heard nothing. This very possibly has to do with the telepathic nature of the apparitional sound.

Of course, in my recent story of the old lighthouse, a loud scream (like the drops you heard it was also unusually loud as if amplified) was heard by the birds in the immediate vicinity, which suggests that particular apparitional sound was not telepathic. Unless birds can also pick up telepathic "sounds". Your account is another nice example of the strange volume of apparitional sounds.
PunkysMama (4 stories) (62 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-05-11)
Hello Tweed,

What I took away from the experience was that he was very angry. And his purpose was to scare me because he wanted to share his negativity. Not once did I feel like something was trying to tell me something or he wanted to communicate WHATEVER. He was angry, he noticed that I noticed him and he wasn't going to let me get away with that. 😭
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-05-11)
Punkys, my god I had a good old laugh at the thought of seeing a pissed ghost.
That's a really cool observation about telling the difference between the living and the dead. I guess also that realisation you had, where you just knew he was a ghost, opened something up which made the silence and plop noises possible. 😕 Man, that's intense. Eurgh, horrible man!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: