You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Odd Rustling Sound

Real Ghost Stories

Odd Rustling Sound

 

This just happened to me last weekend. I was at my aunt's house watching her two dogs for her while she and her husband went out of town. They have a little short-legged yellowish dog named Hazel, and a fat old spaniel named Henry.

I was sleeping in my aunt's room when around midnight I heard Hazel jump off the bed and start chasing something around the floor. It sounded like she was playing with a plastic bag. This is not normal behavior for her in the middle of the night.

I was curious to see what she was doing, so I turned the light on. She was in the middle of the bedroom looking very excited, but there was nothing at all there for her to play with. The weird thing is, I could still hear the plastic bag being shaken around! Shooka shooka shooka.

The odd rustling sound seemed to leave the room and go into the dark hallway, where it continued. I worried perhaps the other dog Henry had gotten caught in a grocery sack somehow, and needed my help. At his advanced age he certainly wouldn't play with anything. The sound stopped as I turned on the hallway light, but Henry wasn't there. I found him on the living room couch sleeping peacefully like a fat old angel. As paranoid as I felt, there was nothing to do but return to the bedroom and try to go back to sleep.

In the morning I searched all the rooms for anything that could have made that noise, but I found nothing. When my aunt returned from her trip I asked her if she had ever experienced unexplained sounds in her house. She confided that she frequently hallucinates hearing something run through her bedroom squeaking during the night. This is absurd because her family has never seen the first sign of a rodent during all the years they have lived in their home.

Together we came to the conclusion that what I had heard was only her hallucinated rodent getting stuck in my hallucinated shopping bag!

Other hauntings by Zephyrin

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Arizona

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Zephyrin, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Zephyrin (4 stories) (19 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-06-30)
I have an update to this story. I watched my aunts house this past week, and last night I heard the sound again. I was sleeping in the master bedroom with the dogs. Henry was in a dog bed on the floor, Hazel was inconveniently tucked behind my knees, and my own dog, a black pit bull named Friday, was next to me. I woke up suddenly because Hazel for some stupid reason licked the side of my bum. I am usually careful how I use the name of God, but being startled out of sleep I blurted "oh God," and tried to kick Hazel out of bed. She is stubborn and would not be moved, and I was too tired to struggle with her so I just rolled over and tried to go back to sleep.

That's when I heard three rapid knocks on the wall opposite the bed. The dogs usually bark like mad whenever someone knocks, but they weren't bothered, so I figured it must have been the pipes or something. Then I heard the rustling plastic sound again. My aunt told me I am probably hearing the water in her pool splashing, but the pool pump was not running, and the sound clearly came from inside the house. It doesn't sound like the ice maker, or the air conditioning, or anything other than a plastic grocery sack being intentionally shaken.

I prayed for safety and just in case it was a human soul I prayed for their repose. Then I heard a sad voice, like an old lady saying something in a sighing way, but I didn't understand what was said. Well, at that point I was done lying in the dark listening for sounds! I turned on the light and the TV and stayed awake as long as I could. The dogs never did notice anything this time.
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-05-20)
I'm with Tweed. Don't you just love weird unexplainable moments like these?
Someone/thing liked playing with the dog and the dog wasn't afraid so she played.
Red
roylynx (guest)
+1
8 years ago (2016-05-18)
Reading the story and the comments, this can be explained as some insects or even a bat, were there any trace? (Like droppings and strange blood marks, etc)

Rodents depending on which kind usually would have bite marks all over the place so it seems not like it? So... Were there any shopping bags? Did Hazel bark or chase after at nothing?

The ripping sound (plastic bag like) as I researched is called rapping and if that happens possibly there would be an apparition, if there are no shopping bags. It is hard to consider if it is paranormal just reading your story, since I can think of a couple of reasons for that.

Hope that helps or if there is additional information please do let us know.

Blessings from São Paulo

E.Lynx
unforgiven1 (2 stories) (19 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-05-18)
I had to comment on this because the same thing used to happen to me in my old bedroom and I've always felt it was paranormal. I would wake up in the mornings to really loud rustling noises (sounded like someone was playing with a plastic bag near my bed). My mom works nights so I always expected to open my eyes and see her home from work or something. But I would always be alone and no bags anywhere!
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-05-18)
More than once I have heard an unexplained rustling noise during the night and one of my cats chasing after it... The culprit are some unlucky moths that, sometimes, the cat not only hunts but eats them! 😐

I wonder if something similar happened to you that night in your aunt's house.

Thanks for sharing this interesting story.
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-05-17)
Hi Zephyrin, Don't you just love weird unexplainable moments like these 😆

Seems like someone's in that home playing with the pets after dark, cool stuff. Wonder why a plastic bag noise. Can't think of anything for that. 😕

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: