You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: What Attacked Tim?

Real Ghost Stories

What Attacked Tim?

 

Generations of my family have spent their summer vacations at our old adobe cabin in the mountains of Northern New Mexico. It is in a tiny secluded valley we fondly call Valley Jo, where two rivers and three mountains all come together. Once in a while when we you are sitting out on the porch at night enjoying the stars, you may hear an odd whirring sound, and an orange ball of light will appear on the mountainside, floating purposefully through the trees. The land was once a Native American settlement. We have found their pottery and arrowheads there over the years, so some of us attribute these "Valley Jo spirits" to them.

Other family members think the spirits belong to the shepherds who once grazed their sheep in the surrounding mountains. They were the ones who originally built our cabin as a base camp hundreds of years ago, and we have found some of their belongings too, along with a couple of human-sized piles of rock that appear to be their graves.

We have our own family graves here in Valley Jo, too. My great grandmother is buried on one side of the cabin, underneath a giant old pine tree that has been struck by lightning. My great grandfather is buried on the other side of the cabin. The reason they are not buried near each other is because my great grandfather abandoned my great grandmother. He started a simultaneous family with a Mexican woman he had an affair with while working as a traveling salesman. Our poor great grandma, left to raise their three sons by herself, became manic depressive, then schizophrenic, and finally committed suicide. If anyone has the right to haunt these mountains, it would be her.

We have never feared the Valley Jo Spirits, we figure they have the right to enjoy that beautiful area too, so for the most part we are able to coexist peacefully. Except for once, when one of my aunts brought her new boyfriend Tim to the cabin.

The two of them went without me. I had just been there earlier in the year. I remember that during my trip I suddenly had a peculiar aversion to one specific window in the cabin. The window faces out to the remains of an old shepherd's shack, and just beyond that is my great grandfather's grave. When I was there we had set up a card table in front of that window and we were constructing a jigsaw puzzle on it. Every time I sat there it felt like someone was on the other side of that window giving me some serious stink eye. I never mentioned it to anyone. Later, when my aunt and Tim went there he commented to her that he felt a similar feeling coming from that same window. It made him nervous, but he didn't know why.

Tim is a nervous guy to begin with though, he actually decided to bring a handgun with him to the cabin just in case. He doesn't have any pleasant childhood memories of the valley and its surrounding mountains like we do in my family. To him the wilderness is a dangerous place to be, with no electricity or running water, just you and your wimpy girlfriend in the middle of nowhere. He felt on edge pretty much the whole time he was there, but near that angry window he felt outright threatened.

When they went to bed the first night, Tim put his handgun on a nearby shelf where he could reach it in case a grizzly bear or a homicidal lumberjack tried to break in during the middle of the night. It was difficult for him to quiet his anxious mind enough to drift off to sleep. He finally did though, despite the creepy window still glaring at him from the foot of his bed.

Something made Tim open his eyes in the middle of the night. He looked instinctively at the window, and was horrified to see a glowing green glob coming speeding towards him. He felt it swoop at his face. He won't admit to screaming. He woke up my aunt and grabbed his useless handgun, and together they waited in the dark until morning when they could finally pack up and leave.

My aunt says she thinks it was the ghost of my great grandfather, unhappy about her unsanctified relationship with Tim. I think it comforts her to think that. I really doubt that's what it was, but I can't come up with a better explanation either. Whatever it was, probably all of Tim's frightened energy caused the attack. The next time I went to Valley Jo, I put holy water on all the windows and doors in our cabin. So far nobody else has been assaulted by green ghost blobs. I'll let you know if it happens again.

Other hauntings by Zephyrin

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Zephyrin, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Trischa_D (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-05-22)
I hope so too. I would love to know why things in my life have happened the way they did!

I know that in my family house I felt "stared down" all the time, or at least never alone- but there's no doubt in my mind that if a family moved into that house who wasn't related to my family they would be in danger.

I think some spirits are very possessive like that over certain places that they feel belong to them and theirs.
Zephyrin (4 stories) (19 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-05-22)
To Trischa_D: Oh, I hadn't thought about him being an "outsider". If that's true it would point to the glob being someone from my family. But why did I feel so stared down? I guess what I felt could have been something else besides the glob.

I hope after you die you get to look back at your life and see the answers to all the questions you had. These weird happenings must have reasons behind them.
Trischa_D (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-05-22)
I've seen orange glowing "orbs" before too- on more than one occasion. I think they're UFO's, and I've even seen one over a random house in Temperance, MI where I grew up. I can't write about it here though because this site is strictly for ghost stories.

Maybe you're right and Tim's anxious, fearful energy caused the "attack." Maybe he had a negative experience because he's not family. I think that's the case with my "Family House" and I've said for years that my grandparents can't ever sell that house to anyone outside of the family or I believe they may be in danger.

Anyway, thanks for sharing and keep us posted:)
Zephyrin (4 stories) (19 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-05-21)
To Wish-Not: I did go and read a bit about the Marfa lights, you are right they do seem similar, except for the noise I have described as "whirring". My great uncle Don, who is the person who spends the most time alone in our valley, says they can sometimes sound like an animal, a machine, or a child.
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-05-21)
Zephyrin- I have to apologize, the "Marfa Lights" were in Texas. However the thought of them did come across my mind. I was able to experience them in the mid to late 70's as a kid. Cool stuff. And sounds similar to what you explained.
Zephyrin (4 stories) (19 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-05-20)
I'm glad you enjoyed it. I have never heard of Marfa lights before, I'll have to look that up now!
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-05-20)
Zehyrin- Great story, I'm somewhat familiar with that part of NM. Going up part of my life in west Texas we would head west to NM to escape the flatlands.

One of the first things that did come to mind on the floating lights were the "Marfa" lights. However I realize they are further south in NM. I have been able to see those.

Anyways, enjoyed your story. Glad there hasn't been any Green Glob incidents.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: