You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: A Haunted Life :: Is It Following Me?

Real Ghost Stories

Is It Following Me?

 

So when I was about thirteen years old, my friend and I had this immense fascination with the paranormal. He had a few spots on his parents vast property in Mineral Point that were eerie themselves before we ever even stumbled upon the thought that there may be spirits there.

One night we were watching a ghost hunters TV show and saw that they were using EVP's. We thought that was a fantastic idea and tried to capture our own. We set out a tape recorder and proceeded to ask questions. After about an hour of recording we listened to the tape but it was to no avail. There was nothing on there.

We were young and hopeful though so we set out again the next night to try again. This time we chose a different location. Behind his house was this old, dilapidated stone building that looks like it was once used for storage and possibly a cellar. We set out the tape recorder and again we started to ask questions.

When we went back to listen to the tape we had almost given up hope that we were going to be able to capture anything. But in the last minute or so of the about 30 minute long tape, we heard what sounded to be a muffled voice. As we continued to listen it got louder and louder but we were still unable to make out what it was saying. Then it went silent, almost as if the batteries on the recorder had died. Then as clear as day we heard a raspy voice say "Help me." (I know what you're thinking, cliché right?) But that is what we heard. Being thirteen years old, this scared the s**t out of us.

It wasn't until after that night that strange things started happening to me. At first it was minor things. I remember sitting at home one night (keep in mind, none of these subsequential events took place at the original property where we heard the recording). As I was saying, I was at home on the computer and I swear I saw someone out of the corner of my eye walk across the hallway from the bathroom into my bedroom. I went to investigate and I didn't see anybody, however I couldn't help but notice a strange, ominous feeling come over me and I felt as if I was being watched.

Things started to escalate, getting stranger and stranger. One night I was home alone. Both of my parents worked nights at the time so this was not a rare occurrence. I was watching TV and I noticed the volume was getting louder and louder but there was no indication, such as numbers on the screen, that I or anybody else was pushing the volume button. It eventually got so loud I had to unplug the TV. I plugged it back in and it was back to its original volume.

On a separate occasion, my dad had asked me to go outside and grab something out of his truck for him. I opened the door but did not enter the truck, more so I was just leaned in and grabbed what I needed to grab. As I turned around I was face to face with an older gentleman. I had never seen this man in my life and he looked sickly. I asked if I could help him and he did not respond. I ran back into the house to tell my parents that there was a sick looking man in the driveway. We went back out to see if we could help him and there was no trace of him. He was gone. Or had he vanished?

A few years later I moved to Milwaukee when I was 19 with some friends from school. The house was a rather large house but it was old. Everything was fine there during the day. But as soon as it got dark out there was something strange that would happen. That same eerie feeling I got, like I was being watched when I was younger, would wash over me.

One night I was laying on the couch watching Netfix and I heard the creeking of what sounded like someone walking slowly through the living room. This was strange because all of my roommates were either sleeping or hanging out in their rooms. I quickly forgot about it and went back to watching Netflix. A few minutes later I heard it again but this time it was louder. It sounded like they were running towards the back door which I could see from where I was sitting. I stared at the door and suddenly it opened as if someone was walking through it. It did not fly open or gently creek open. It opened just as if any regular person were going to walk through the doorway.

A year later I moved back to my hometown. I found a Ouija board at my parents house that was made in the 60's. I thought it would be fun to take over to my friend's house and see what would happen. While we were using it, my friend and I suddenly went from being wide awake to just completely exhausted to the point where we could barely stay awake. But as soon as we said goodbye and put the board away it was like our energy had been replenished.

I took the board back to my parents' house and placed it back in the cabinet where I had found it. I latched the cabinet and was on my way out of the room when I hard it unlatch and open slightly. I thought nothing of it, I must have not latched it tight. So I fixed it. A few hours later I walk by and I notice that it is unlatched and open again. I ask my parents if either one of them had opened it and they said no. They had not even been in that room.

Here I am now, I am 22 years old and I live in Madison now. It's been probably a year since anything strange has happened. Until the other night when I was in my room and my roommate was in his. When suddenly we heard a loud BANG and both of our doors had opened about halfway. Our doors were securely latched, not to mention they stick shut half the time anyway. So they couldn't have just been blown over by the wind or bumped into. They were deliberately opened by someone or something.

Now I don't know if any of these occurrences are connected or what. I'm not really frightened by any of them anymore. I've never felt as if I was in danger. I was just wondering if anybody could shed some light on them? Thank you!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Wisconsin

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Grizzman44, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ulvenNixie (13 stories) (39 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-06-26)
Miracles51031 - I get especially upset when I mess up what I type because I am constantly writing and editing. It's an everyday thing, for myself mostly but I edit for a couple loved ones too. I laughed this morning when I realized I misspelled something on my correction too. I was like, "It's meant to be. Time for work". Lol Thank you for finding humor in it too. I'm glad I'm not the only one. Rock on with your editing!
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
8 years ago (2016-06-26)
ulvenNixie - LOL we all make mistakes like that and unfortunately we discover them after we post our comment 😆 Proofing is part of my job as a mod, and in my real life, so it annoys me to no end when I realize I've made a mistake. But it's part of our tech lives and sometimes provides a very good laugh 😉
ulvenNixie (13 stories) (39 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-06-26)
My life is filled with typos. I'm sorry. I'm getting ready for work while I read and type on here. I mean to say that it does* sound like you have a clinging spirit. I don't know why I didn't proof-read before I posted. Rookie mistake and I sincerely apologize.
ulvenNixie (13 stories) (39 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-06-26)
Hey,
I won't tell you that you made a mistake by playing with that Ouija board. They make me extremely uncomfortable and I think you already got the notion that they aren't quite right. It's impressive that your parents have one from the '60s though. I bet it's cool-looking.

Any case, it doesn't sound like you might have a spirit clinging on to you. I mean, I can't know for sure, but it sounds like it. You said you talked to it, both to get an EVP when you were younger and when that old man just popped up in your driveway (assuming it was in fact your spirit buddy). He could have been a rather pleasant guy once upon a time, but right now, he might not be so great to always have around. Feeling like someone is watching you all the time is not fun and you deserve to have your space. Also, there's no telling what tired to drain your energy with that board. Those things open up a whole world of trouble.

You've talked to him before. Have you asked or told him to leave you alone? Have you told him that you can't help him? Normally, I wouldn't tell someone to just outright talk to the ghost because that acknowledgement can invite worse behavior, but you already talked to him. I think you need to be straight forward with this guy and tell him that you cannot help him and that you either need your space or you want him to go away. Be firm and set your boundaries because you have to be strong to make sure this clinging dude isn't going to just stick around.

It's a different story if you still want him hanging around though. I'm serious about setting up those boundaries and making sure he knows that some things are not okay. Honestly though, if he's actually looking for help and he wasn't just using that to bait you, he's spending a lot of time being strung along by his own desperation and that can't be good for him either.
Grizzman44 (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-06-23)
Argette, I live in the Rimrock area. And Mineral Point is chalk full of eerie, yet interesting places! If you have not been there you should check it out!
Bonifaz (2 stories) (51 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-06-19)
Hello,

I think that the ill-looking man and the voice on the tape recorder belong to the same spirit. The rest can be just random encounters, since you seem to be very open-minded about the paranormal.
One thing that really intrigues me, is the Ouija board. Have you ever spoken to your parents about it? I mean, you found it in their house, so they probably know where it came from. It could well be that some of the experiences you had there were somehow connected to that board.
Kitsune (14 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-06-19)
It's possible that a spirit attached itself to you while you were doing your EVP experiment. If it's the ill-looking old man, maybe he simply needs some help. Have you tried, verbally or in your head, asking the spirit what it wants? You can also try telling it to go to the light, since you seem to be inadvertently providing a distraction for it that is not good for either of you x
Argette (guest)
 
8 years ago (2016-06-16)
Great tales! I know Madison well. What is your neighborhood there? I had many strange experiences, all over town.

Mineral Point must be full of interesting places.

Thanks for sharing.
doomisforu (9 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-06-16)
When you believe in parnormal you are more open to what you just said in your story. Though I do not think it is the same spirit, since you move alot. What it maybe is that each place you moved had some kind of spirit in it. With the Ouija board that sounds more like a bad spirit, using the board to drain your energy for it self. I would get rid of that board if you have not yet.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: