You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Coins And Guitar Picks

Real Ghost Stories

Coins And Guitar Picks

 

I hinted at these two occurrences in the comments of my last submission and was encouraged to post them. They are not scary but they are weird. They are not connected except that I was there at the time for both of them.

A few weeks ago I was in the basement of University Hospital in London, Ontario, this is where the physiotherapy department is. I was dropping off information about upcoming knee surgery to one of the therapists.

To leave, one must walk down a hallway, go through a set of doors then cross another hallway diagonally to the doors that lead to the reception area. There is not a high volume of people in these basement corridors.

When I left through the first hallway door, about to cross the second hallway diagonally, I heard a noise to my right. I identified the sound immediately, it was the sound of a coin that had fallen (I have super senses in this regard due to my Dutch heritage). I spun my head to the right to see a coin rolling from within an inch of the wall adjacent to me and then rolling across the hallway until it hit the wall across from me, where it came to a stop.

I was rooted to the concrete, looking for a plausible source for this as I thought I was alone.

To the left of me the hallway went for about 60 feet, completely empty, and to the right for at least 100 feet and again, completely devoid of people. There was a folded up wheelchair not far away but that is all.

I stood there for a few seconds wondering how this was possible.

I finally walked over to the coin and picked it up. It was a Canadian, 1964, five cent piece. The condition was very good and looked to have, oddly, very little wear due to circulation. I walked through the door to reception and asked them if the place was haunted and described what had happened. They both found it curious but had no experiences themselves.

The date, 1964, has no significance that I can think of and other than its obvious worth neither does a five cent coin.

Although I set the coin aside in my entry closet when I got home, and saw it there for about a week, I cannot now find it. Perhaps I picked it up and put it my pocket with other change and spent it but I don't think I would have been that absent minded. My wife says that she did not pick the coin up either.

As I write this I recall that this is not the first time I had coins fall next to me. About 10 years ago I was five minutes into a shower and a five cent and ten cent piece fell next to me on the tile floor.

The second, unrelated, occurrence was two weeks ago. We were sitting at the supper table, which doubles as my wife's marking table (high school teacher). When she lifted up a report to set the table for breakfast there were two guitar picks underneath it. She asked me and my daughter, who was visiting, if we had put them there. Neither of us had. I asked her if she recognized the guitar picks and she did.

They were hers and had both been sitting on the upright piano for well over a year. We asked the obvious questions about the picks being moved with the papers but she says that the papers were never near the piano.

This not the first time we have had objects move in the house but it has been many years since that has happened. The previous odd things were the classic, "have you seen the car keys" thing. You look all over for them and then they appear in the spot you looked for them first, a half hour previous.

As much as we try not to invite disembodied visitors here, it seems that occasionally we cross paths. This amount of activity I can tolerate, it is not scary and makes for interesting conversation. I would not like it go much further, at home anyway.

Other hauntings by Kindly_refrain

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Kindly_refrain, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Kindly_refrain (16 stories) (195 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-19)
Melda, I understand. Despite feeling that you must include those details, I do enjoy them.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-19)
Kindly_refrain - I thought I should just add to my previous comment. I know this has nothing to do with your account. We also have a huge African and Khoi culture (the original inhabitants of Africa, who migrated down to Southern Africa). The Khoi were mostly in South Africa but many of the African tribes, such as Zulu, Xhosa and more, migrated down and the larger tribes assimilated the smaller tribes into their "kingdoms".

Not a history lesson. Sensitivities run high and I don't want people out there thinking that I don't acknowledge our very rich African culture 😊

Regards, Melda
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-18)
Kindly_refrain - Thanks for the explanation!

Although the Dutch played a very large part in the South African heritage, we have all become so integrated that although there are some "pure" Dutch people living in SA, there are also British, Australian, French, German, Portuguese, you name it!

Here in SA we normally joke about certain other nationalities being skinflints! I won't mention which because I'll have everybody coming down on me and bouncing me off the ceiling 😆

Regards, Melda
Kindly_refrain (16 stories) (195 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-05-17)
Hello Melda, although there is plenty of Dutch heritage in South Africa I am not sure if the same attributes are ascribed to them there as is in Canada.

After world war 2 there was a large influx of immigrants from the Netherlands to Canada (as well as other countries). It was noted that the Dutch immigrants were very thrifty. This had become become a stereotypical joke. I was born in Canada, of Dutch parents, and my cousins and Dutch friends used to enjoy this idea that we were cheap and made a lot of fun about it. It became a bit of a thrift contest between us and even our Scottish immigrant friends, who were also noted as being careful with money. Again this was all done in fun.

I am sure that other country's citizens have been inserted into the following old joke but here goes. How did copper wire get invented; a Scotsman and a Dutchman fighting over a penny.

Anyway, that is why I claim to have superhuman abilities when it comes to hearing a coin hit the floor.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-17)
Kindly_refrain - This is a fascinating account! I have also read the comments with great interest.

I am curious about your remark regarding Dutch heritage. Would you expand on that?

Regards, Melda
roylynx (guest)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-17)
Sorry that will do 😊 that answered my question 😳 Very interesting! 😲

E.Lynx
Kindly_refrain (16 stories) (195 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-17)
Roylynx, feel free to ask all the questions you like. Maybe, as well, one of them will trigger an answer from another reader that will make sense of some part of these phenomenon. I am not absolutely sure what you're asking, I hope I am answering your question correctly.

If you mean the time I had coins drop around me in the shower, no they were not from the 1960's. They were much newer. The same with my nephew, the coins were not from the 1960's
Kindly_refrain (16 stories) (195 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-17)
Caz, I like your take on it! I am into gifts from the spirit world.

I will also have to look into the "apport" phenomenon.

I wonder from where the spirit world gets the money.
Caz (342 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-16)
Very interesting experience KR. I remember many years ago, an old shilling 'UK' dropped from seemingly nowhere at my brother's feet. He told me this is called an 'apport'. A gift from the spirit world... So it must be good! 😊
roylynx (guest)
 
7 years ago (2017-05-16)
Kindly_refrain, One possibility for my grandfather's encounter for the coins is that he might be packing for the trip and found the coins where it had been all the time, it's not like dropping around him by surprise. One more question, sorry to ask about the coins for multiple times, so that's just random coins and not the particular 1960's Canadian coin? That will be so interesting!

E.Lynx
Kindly_refrain (16 stories) (195 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-05-16)
Roylynx, that's really interesting about you great grandfather's coins.

Maybe it is the same kind of phenomenon but in my case and my nephew's the coins aren't particularly special.
Kindly_refrain (16 stories) (195 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-16)
Hi Sheld999, it is odd enough that that happens but my question is always, why? What purpose could there be in hiding kid's games?

Perhaps it's just fun for them.
sheld999 (14 stories) (74 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-15)
Wow. Freaky. Reminds me of the time that me and my brothers gamebos went missing. We searched whole house couldt find them. Few weeks later they were under the draw space of the bed (which we hide all the time) and they werent there before as we looked there a lot
roylynx (guest)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-15)
Wow! Another good one! My sister always blames a tiny man hiding her stuff things like things happens, but believe me she IS absent minded lol.

Having coins dropping around you is a very odd experience indeed. My grandfather used to say when he was young, before he came to Brazil, his father (My great grandfather) used to collect old coins (antique coins?). When my great grandfather passed away some of his coins were missing, when the time come when my grandfather had a chance to travel to Brazil the coins began to appear mysteriously.

Would this be something similar? Just a thought, cheers!

E.Lynx
noirheart (1 stories) (13 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-05-15)
Thank you for reading my story. Things have calmed down to a stand still although I have had some more fleeting harmless experiences since the major events happened all those years ago.

Very interesting that your nephew has had a similar experience.

The yellow fluid actually happened on one occasion indoors, as far as I remember. Which makes it a whole lot more odd! But yes, other than that always outdoors. I kind of feel like the coins and fluid where connected as they happened around the same time frame, both lasting a while then abruptly stopping. 😕
Kindly_refrain (16 stories) (195 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-05-14)
noirheart, I just read you account, you really had a scary time. I am glad most of my occurrences are mild in nature. I hope that your supernatural activity has taken a more pleasant turn.

Please submit your other accounts that you mentioned.
Kindly_refrain (16 stories) (195 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-05-14)
noirheart, thanks for reading, I am glad you enjoy my accounts. Like you, my nephew frequently finds coins around him (not just 5 cent coins though) but for him they seem to drop from the sky. He can be walking just about anywhere and he will hear coins fall in front or behind him. Family members have witnessed this happening around him as well.

The yellow fluid is a new one to me. That is really odd. I assume that would only happen when you were outside.
noirheart (1 stories) (13 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-14)
Interesting experience. I remember a period of time where I was finding 5 cent coins everywhere, in the most odd places on an (almost) daily basis. Never any other coins in differing amounts, always 5 cents. It would happen literally everywhere I went. This whole scenario lasted a couple of months before stopping completely. Around that time (but not at the same time) I would also have yellow coloured droplets of fluid hit me, the same as rain drops but always only one or two individual drops. That went on for longer, a few months. Got off track there, I enjoyed your stories.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: