You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Child Not Really There

Real Ghost Stories

The Child Not Really There

 

I started this over a year ago (I write these in a doc and then cut and paste when I feel ready), and today I decided I would make an effort to put it into words because over time I return to this story a lot in my mind. I have hinted at experiences I had at a home I where I lived in Louisiana, and here is one. When this happened to me, it didn't scare me, but I have to admit that now it actually does scare me a little because I don't understand what happened. I don't have answers, and can't explain it to myself even.

We lived in Louisiana because my husband was military. We had lived on the base for 18 months. It was not a happy place to live, and when I finally learned that we were going to be stuck there for a while, I decided I wanted a house. We looked at 3 houses that were for sale, and settled on one. It was a little fixer upper, but I loved that little house. Now for fixer upper, it didn't need a lot of work. It needed paint, some new flooring, and a few new appliances - mostly cosmetic. It was all of 1,200 square feet. It had 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. Coming from base housing it was a huge upgrade as we only had 900 square feet and 2 bedrooms, and 1 bathroom for our small family.

We had two small girls at the time. Both are grown and teens at this time. I have written about one of them who I call Jacey. This story probably relates to her. In fact, it might relate to her "friends." If you don't know about her friends, it's not a bad idea to go back and visit that story, or take a look at it after this one if you prefer.

This happened at night. My husband has always been very big about not having the kids sleep with us. He's kind of a big guy. He worried if a kid was in the bed he might squish them. I was always the one that if a kid woke up, they would wake me up and I'd usher them back to bed. I have always thought of myself as a heavy sleeper, but always woke when the kids came in the room. Nothing bothers my hubby when he sleeps. I remember it was 3:00 or 3:30 in the morning. I was woken by a kid standing by the bed. I thought it was Jacey. There was a window next to my side of the bed, but she was standing just outside the light of the window in the shadows. She was holding her blanket (both of the kids had blankets they were very attached to). I remember sitting up, standing and saying, "Jacey, let's go back to bed. Come on." Now, I was NOT asleep, and this was not a dream. I am one of those people when I am woken at night, I am very awake and can struggle to go back to sleep. I got out of bed and walked the 3 or maybe 4 steps toward Jacey thinking that she was very "black" and was surprised not more light was coming in the window as there was quite a bit of light that came in that window (one of the reasons I liked my spot in the bedroom). As soon as I was maybe a step from her, I realized this was not Jacey. It didn't feel like Jacey (feel as in feeling a person's presence), it is too small to be Jacey, it looks wrong, and it is not responding to me. "Jacey" suddenly blew apart. The blackness exploded, and it reminded me of black glitter as she rained down and the black glitter just disappeared to nothing.

I remember I ran out of my bedroom across the hall to Jacey's room. Jacey was in bed sleeping. I went back to my bedroom and stood there. I went back to Jacey's room and I got very close to her. I thought maybe she was pretending to sleep. How did she make it back to her room and get to sleep so fast? Was she playing with me? I realized she was sleeping and the emotions/feelings I had knowing that what I saw was not Jacey came flooding back to me. I left Jacey's room, checked on our other daughter who was also sleeping soundly and I went back to bed. I considered waking up my husband, but didn't know what I'd tell him. It took me a long time to go to sleep after that. I was up for close to an hour and did one of my tours of the house where I would walk all through the house a few times over.

I didn't feel any malice or threat coming from whatever it was. For all I know it could have been a child looking for a "mom." I encountered something just like it one more time, and I will save that for another story. I also had one more experience with the "black" exploding, but will save that as well, but it again happened in my room at night and woke me from sleep.

Other hauntings by Kest

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Louisiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Kest, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Kest (12 stories) (55 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-10-05)
AugustaM I don't think it was my child's astral projection. Simply because I remember it being smaller than she was and that was one of the things that bothered me. Not only that but it didn't "feel" like her presence. The other thing is that I encountered another one of those blowing apart apparitions in that house again that I have yet to write about.
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-10-04)
If you never saw the child again do you think your daughter could have accidentally astrally projected herself? That may also explain the odd feeling as, being her mother, you are acutely tuned to being in her presence but all of it not whatever shade of it manages to escape during a projection experience.

Or perhaps it was a non-human entity (and I don't necessarily mean evil) that took a non-threatening form to introduce itself to you.
Kest (12 stories) (55 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-10-02)
Cherubim I think I would have to research the land in order to find out anything. I asked around, and there were people who had lived in that area their whole lives yet knew nothing really. The house we lived in was not that old. It had been built in 1982. The person we bought it from had owned it since it had been built. The houses all around us were pretty close to the same style as ours. It was just a small fairly new little development in the area.
Cherubim (14 stories) (245 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-09-30)
WOW! 😨 I don't think I would have slept all night if I saw some entity explode like that, especially thinking it was my daughter. I'm glad the girls were okay and you too. Do you know any history about the house? I lived in military housing too, it's not a happy place to be. I would see an apparition of a little girl and her dog in my bedroom. Seems there are lots of hauntings around military bases. Looking forward to your next story about this incident.
Kest (12 stories) (55 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-09-29)
silverthane61 The weather and terrain there was horrible. I think there probably were a lot of "haunts" in the area and there is so much history there. If you visited there, I am guessing you might have been assigned to "the box" which was the training area?
silverthane61 (4 stories) (344 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-09-25)
I have never been assigned to Louisiana as a soldier, but I have visited Fort Polk, and the weather and terrain was miserable when I was there. I have been told a lot of stories of "haunts" on military bases, but this event obviously occurred off-post. I must say that you have a lot of spine! I do not think I could have gone without staying up all night with all the lights on.
Kest (12 stories) (55 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-09-24)
Lealeigh, the next experience with a black figure is similar, but that one was not child sized.

Sleepint-with-steve I think we had some children ghosts. If you read about the "friends" my daughter had, I believe it could have been one of them. This daughter is now a teen, and I wish I still had that house because I'd honestly like to be able to revisit that house and see what is there. However, I found out recently it was completely remodeled so who knows what stayed.
Sleeping-with-steve (guest)
+3
5 years ago (2019-09-24)
Hello Kest,

It was touching reading about this child spirit lost and lonely unable to move on to the next realm.

Perhaps the child was looking for comfort from a parent figure and found that in you.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Best wishes,
Miandra
😘 ❤ 😘
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+5
5 years ago (2019-09-24)
Hi Kest,
When you say that you had another experience just like it, do you mean exactly the same or just similar?
It makes me sad when I think of a little child spirit, maybe scared of the dark, who can't find her parents. 😟

Best Wishes, Maria ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: