You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: My Father's Visitor

Real Ghost Stories

My Father's Visitor

 

This account happened to my dad, but (with his permission) I felt I had to share it. It terrified me to say the least!

Just over a year ago, my dad went on a trip to Scotland. I can't remember the name of the place he visited, but it was a beautiful manor beside a loch.

He had a room to himself, and everything was normal until the second night of his stay.

He went to bed. Hours later, he awoke to a strange clicking noise. For a while he lay there listening to it, like a double click, until it annoyed him enough that he switched on the lights and got out of bed.

My dad checked everything - the doors to the hallway and the en suite, the windows, the wardrobe doors. He then noticed that the clicking had stopped. He couldn't find anything that recreated the noise.

For a minute longer he stood in the middle of the room, waiting to see if the noise returned. It didn't.

It's worth noting at this point that by now my dad was wide awake, having searched his room for a while for the culprit, and also that he hadn't felt anything supernatural.

Defeated, he returned to bed.

He hadn't yet switched the lights off, the switches of which were beside his bed.

Rolling over onto his side, he'd thought he'd go back to sleep.

As soon as he rolled over, he felt someone behind him.

He's told me that it was an immediate feeling - as soon as he turned his back, all of his hair stood on end, and he felt prickles all over his back like static electricity.

He's said that he just knew there was something standing behind him.

Before he could react, he felt the bed tip down beneath someone's weight and an arm wrapped around him.

At this point, I think I would have died of fright. My dad, however, punched the arm of whatever was cuddling him and told it to 'get off!'

He's said that whatever it was immediately left him. He turned over, shocked beyond anything, but didn't see or feel anything afterwards. It was as if whatever had touched him had instantly vanished.

I've quizzed him on this a few times. He didn't feel any cold spots, nor did the arm that wrapped around him feel cold. The arm felt solid and human, and when he punched it -which I can't help but laught at, the thought of my dad punching a ghost - he said whatever he hit was solid, as if he'd punched someone else's arm.

My dad doesn't scare easily. And up until this experience, he hadn't believed in spirits. He's had things happen to him before, but after he'd tell me the stories I'd ask him, 'so, do you believe in ghosts?' He'd always say 'no, of course I don't'.

This was different, though. This was so real to him, and my dad isn't a liar and he doesn't get a kick out of scaring his daughter. He's commented before that he doesn't understand why I watch horror films and why I'd want to scare myself.

After the experience, he'd considered going down to reception and checking out. But, as the night went on, he calmed down and had a word with himself - he's said how could a fully grown adult man run downstairs in his underwear and leave the hotel because of a ghost?!

So he stayed for the duration of his trip, and nothing else remotely supernatural happened to him.

Side note - I picked my dad up in my car from the train station after his trip. Once we got home, we sat down with cups of tea and he recounted this experience for the first time. It terrified me, more so because I could feel how on edge my dad still was, days after the event.

When I went out in my car later that night, I hadn't reached far from home when the seatbelt light in my car started blinking and the alarm sounded. It meant that someone was in my car not wearing a seatbelt.

I checked my seatbelt as I drove and it was clicked fully in place. The light was still on, the alarm still warning me.

Confused and a little freaked out, I pulled over and switched on the interior lights. I checked all the empty seats, none of which had bags or anything on them, triggering weight sensors. All seatbelts were firmly in place.

Telling myself it was an error of the car, I continued on my journey. The seatbelt light switched off and the alarm stopped.

My car didn't malfunction like this before or after this one time.

I'd joked to my dad that he'd brought something back with him. Nothing supernatural has happened to him since.

I look forward to seeing what you think about my dad's ghostly visitor. Let me know if you want anything clarified.

Other hauntings by LostGirl

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, LostGirl, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

LostGirl (2 stories) (7 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-01-25)
babygoatpuller, you're much braver than me - if something invisible hugged me when I was alone I would be terrified! I wouldn't be up for cuddling...

My dad isn't a non-believer after this experience. He'd seen things before - like a white figure standing at the side of the road as he drove by, completely featureless; and another night he was staying at a hotel and he woke up to his feet being tickled, then took a photo in the hotel that has a very strange shape in it... But this experience was so real to him, so undeniable, that he now believes in the supernatural.

I don't think there's anything worrying about his experience, seeing as nothing has happened to him since. The seatbelt thing in my car was probably just a coincidence, but I thought it worth mentioning as I hadn't had that happen previously or since, and it creeped me out at the time!

Thanks for commenting!
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-01-25)
It doesn't sound like anything too terrifying to me LostGirl. Nothing malevolent happened and besides the creepiness your father felt when he turned over in bed, it doesn't sound as if he was afraid at all. Which brings me to this...

You said that your father was disappointed with his reaction about how he reacted after he had been "hugged" and now he wishes he'd tried to interact with it. That makes me think that maybe he's not the non-believer he's portrayed himself to be. I'm curious about some of the other things he's told you about. Anything alarming there?

I wouldn't worry about the seat belt thing. It could be a one off thing. I've had stuff like that happen in my car but fortunately my hubby owns an auto repair shop and it gets taken care of or at least looked into right away, or...

What/whoever decided to hug your dad, took a shine to him and wanted to "visit". I wouldn't worry about it. No foul, no harm.

Thanks for sharing. 😊
LuciaJacinta (8 stories) (291 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-01-25)
Interesting. Not sure if the car thing was a malfunction. But it does make you think, hmmm.
LostGirl (2 stories) (7 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-01-25)
Thanks for commenting matrix899!

Yes I find that most intriguing, I really grilled my dad about that, asking if he hit his own arm or what it felt like. It surprised me that it was solid and warm.

My dad felt a bit disappointed in himself with his reaction! He said that if he'd been able to think rationally and stay calm, he would have liked to try to engage with it, ask it questions and see what happened. But, as he wasn't expecting it, he reacted without thinking and the shock took over!
LostGirl (2 stories) (7 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-01-25)
Hi lady-glow, thanks for commenting!

My dad said that he hadn't experienced anything strange prior to that night, or anything afterwards.

On the way to the manor the coach driver told everyone that the hotel was apparently haunted by a maid who'd died there, but of course my dad didn't believe that. You're right, at least whatever it was didn't react badly to his rejection!
matrix899 (1 stories) (67 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-01-24)
An unusual experience, especially the part about punching something solid. An unseen presence that felt solid when punched.

Your father is a brave man. I think most people would have been so unnerved, that they would have left. But I guess he really did not believe in such things as ghosts. There could be no fear of something you do not think exists.

Thanks for sharing this. It is memorable.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-01-24)
I guess the ghost didn't like your father refusing their hugs... At leas it was a good listener and didn't act offended and revengeful.
Was your father aware of any paranormal activity at the manor prior to his stay?

Thanks for sharing this fascination experience.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: