You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: First Time Experience

Real Ghost Stories

First Time Experience

 

It is popular belief that 13 is an unlucky number, well for me it is 8. 8 years old, just made a real best friend. I'm the winner of almost every squares game (its an irish game, but won't go into the rules. Yet if you're interested ask me and I'll tell you).

Life was great, I wasn't wasting a minute of it and my best friend Stephen had just invited me to stay for two nights in his house. It was actually perfect timing, because my parents were off to see a neil diamond concert in the UK. So off I went to Stephenès house down beside a mental home called the Grange Gorman. This actually scared me. I asked his parents if the patients could escape?, and they said no. Being the inquisitive child I asked, "how do you know"? Simple answer was because they both worked there. Good enough for me. Little did I realize that my nightmare was already around me.

First night was like any other (except for the fact that I wasn't in my family home), we ate popcorn, talked about computer games (main console at the time was a commodore 64), fought and wrestled each other, and drank way too much cidona and coke for our little bodies to cope with. Stephen headed to the toilet while I held on for dear life and played my game, until I heard footsteps behind me. "Right my turn!" I proclaimed while turning around, expecting to see Stephen, but unfortunately no one was there and the steps I heard had stopped. If I knew then that floorboards warped, and the wood creaked because of this I wouldn't have stood where I was, scared as I was.

The bathroom door opened, spilling light into the hallway and the sound of the flushing toilet echoed out also. Stephen emerged and asked if I was ok. I didn't answer. I was still trying to decide if a shadow (I thought I saw) could be darker than a black unlit hallway. I shrugged my shoulders in response to his question and was brought rudely back to reality as pain shot through me and I remembered that nature was calling. Nothing else happened that night.

Second night, almost the same as the first, except we didn't have as much popcorn coke or cidona, but the commodore 64 was in full swing. At about midnight I was peckish, and I asked my best friend if I could get something to eat from the kitchen. Of course it wasn't a problem. I asked Stephen if he wanted anything brought back to him, and he said no. I walked into the hall and down the stairs, treading carefully so as not to wake anyone up. I reached my destination through the darkness and entered. The light from the moon lit up the room in an eerie silver. The black and white tiles which decorated the floor shone, and there, in the centre of the room was my goal, the fridge.

I walked over, my body shivering because the tiles were cold, and opened the fridge door. Immediately I was blinded by the fridge light. My eyes took a few minutes to adjust, and when they finally did, the kitchen door closed itself. I turned, blinded by the light of the fridge, and scared as looked into the darkness. The moonlight also seemed to have vanished. My body felt like it was floating and the back of my neck was starting to feel warm.

Then I heard my name, "ROB"! It was Stephen. He called again, "ROB"! But I couldn't answer. I'd lost my voice to fear. I remember crying. My mind was filling up with horrible images. Especially from the night before, the darker than dark shadow. "ROB"! Stephen again. Gathering courage I took three steps toward the door but stopped because I heard my name again, from behind. My stomach sank. Tears blurred my vision and my heart was pounding (after this night I knew what fear was) "Rob"! Barely a whisper, but not from a voice I knew. "Hey Rob"! It mocked. I wanted to run but couldn't.

Then everything felt like it was over, my life, my dreams, everything, because a cold hand reached out and gripped my shoulder, tightly. Once again the man spoke this time in my ear, then slowly his face came around from my shoulder and went directly in front of mine, and smiled at me. Then it was over. Just like that. But, I remembered never taking my eyes off of the door, even when I saw through the ghost. I know that that's what gets me the most. The fact of seeing through someone. I left that night and stayed with my grandparents who only lived four minutes walk from my home in cabra.

I have told this story to certain people, who have had experiences. And every time I tell it, it makes it easier to cope with. So please read and re read. There is a second part of this which happened a decade later, and in that story I'll describe the stranger from this one (I've seen him three times) but they are other stories.

My only question is has anyone else seen the same ghost more than once? And is this, regular?

By the way I must say something else, Stephens' family had to move out of that home because of this ghost. They too had experiences, names being called and so on. They moved across the road where they now happily live, but that house is still there, empty. No one moves in.

Other hauntings by alanon80

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ireland

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, alanon80, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

justin102798 (9 stories) (96 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-10-26)
Dude, I've seen the same ghosts in my house about 10 times it's perfectly normal to see the same ghost more than once. Sometimes there are signs that a ghost is coming. For instance, before my ghost comes I hear the doorknob shake which, for some reason just did so in a few minutes I will probably see the boy ghost in my room. Since the door knob shakes I don't lock my door much to see if it would open which it did once or twice. So if you remember what would happen before the ghost came and this happened every/most of the time before you saw it you will be able to figure out if it was a risigual<- (Did not spell right.) haunting by a past owner of the house or a loved one of the family.
Athena (9 stories) (222 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-09)
In answer to your question, yes, there is a strange ghost that I have seen more than once. It presides here in my new apartment, but I think that this may be the exception rather than the rule. Ghosts may not have reason or energy enough to show themself more than once.
Cody13Smith (5 stories) (54 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-25)
a story I will soon wright delayed due to homework(I do not like homework) will speak of my experiences with one ghost I rarely see anymore
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-20)
Hi alanon80. I totally agree with everything whitebuffalo has said to you about this ghost or spirit. She has said it all and I haven't anything to add. Oh yea, I do have to say, "YES", to seeing the same ghost more than once. I saw a dark man in a coat and black hat once a year for about 7 years straight. Other people have seen this same entity over the years and I would LOVE to know if it is the same being that other people have seen or what!? Who is this man with the hat? Thanks for sharing your story. ~Shelby
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-20)
Also, a long time ago, when people got a bit addle brained (alzheimer's, dementia, and other mental instabilities), their family members tended to give them away. They went to other family members homes, nursing homes, or mental institutions. Occasionally someone "lucked out" and was able to stay at friends homes.
These people were not always a danger to themselves or others, they just did things a bit odd. I do not have enough room here to explain fully, but sometimes in the human brain there is a road block. They will begin to do something and a trigger of some sort (could be a different color in the flooring, a doorway, an unfamiliar scent) will trip, causing the person to just stop. The body freezes in whichever frame it was in and the brain has to wait out the spinning of the mechanism inside that causes movement. Kind of like when two gears are helping each other spin and one of the gears has four or five teeth missing. The thing that the gear runs will pause for a moment until the teeth realign.
I point this out as across the street is a hotbed of activity. When the body slows, the mind does not HAVE to slow with it, and often times does not. Many older people go out for walks that they take every day, the same way they go everyday and in the middle of the walk totally forget what they are doing, where they are going, or how to even get home. I think this is how this man got to Stephens house. I think a long time ago he just wandered over there. There are also wandering ghosts too, though, who just travel about.
In short, (yeah, right 😉) I think he just wandered in. I do not think there is a structural or personal connection here.
Thanks again.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-20)
Sorry I have not answered you sooner, Rob. I missed your question before. Yes, I think this is a visit by someone who knows that you can see it. Most times that ghosts and Spirits are around I think they are checking us out. Almost as curiously as we check them out. For it NOT to be a visit, it would have to be residual, and as the same thing does not always happen in the same place, I would say this is an intelligent haunting. I look forward to your other stories. And will be honored to read them, as you suggested. 😊
Thank you.
I further think it was an intelligent haunting as he "peered" around your shoulder to get a good look at you. This was done much in the same way that a curious child would get "in your face", with one arm on the shoulder, while kind of winding itself around you with the core of his being at your back. Or that of a mischievous friend.
I do not get the feeling that he is all bad. I actually get a mixed feeling. It almost feels as if to get the attention he craves, he has got to do things in an angry manner. And then as a result of the fear THAT instills, he feeds off of that energy (the fear), and that is how he seems to be everywhere, all the time on occasion. I think he just wants to be recognized.
What would be best would be to help him Cross Over. I know that you do not want to be left alone in his presence. Or at least I think you do not. I would invite your friend, Stephen, to help you walk your guest to the light. Tell him that all the people he has ever loved before are waiting on the Other Side for his return. Explain to him that this is where he needs to be, and that he WILL be happy there.
Let me know how things turn out. And Thank you, again.
sweetie (7 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-18)
That is really creepy, but completely believable! I'd have been terrified living so near a mental home. But please, do share more stories, this one was very enjoyable!
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-17)
Hi alanon. That sounds truly terrifying. The ghost sounds very menacing, he seems to have enjoyed scaring you. I realize that something like this would be very difficult to forget, but I have to wonder if you were mistaken that the two entities were the same. I don't see why the spirit would come to you after ten years. You were very young and very scared when you saw the ghost at Stephan's house, maybe you related the two due to a similarity in experience or circumstance. When you tell your other story, let us know why you think there was one ghost. I'm looking forward to it. Thanks.
luvparanormal (12 stories) (268 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-16)
Thanks for sharing that one. I really have to say that I would have been taken to the hospital from a heart attach 😭 that is way to much for me to handle. I do have a question how long ago was this and did you ever try to find the history of this house? I do wonder if you saw this "thing" in that house how is it that you see it in other places as well? Could it be that it followed you? Or do you think it might be trying to comunicate with you to get help?
Keep us posted and can't wait to read the others.
Luv ❤
alanon80 (5 stories) (7 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-16)
hey there andreo. Glad we share a tribute. I have submitted the second and third part of the story. The second takes place 10 years after the first and the third takes place 2 years after the second. I hope you enjoy them. I will be posting other stroies so keep watching.
i totally agree with the fear thing. That's why he couldn't get me as bad as the first time.
would also like to hear other stories you may have.
be cool man,
alanon80
Andreo (2 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-16)
Hi Alanon80, what an interesting story. You sure are tough to confront something like that! Funny you should describe exactly what I once saw. I was at a friend's place, a sleepover. We were watching TV. Something made me turn my head to the hallway behind us. I saw a very large and black figure standing there. I knew without doubt it was watching. I have always had a belief that spirits etc cannot control me so I calmly looked at it. It slowly stepped behind the hallway so I could no longer see it. A rather large friend of mine was in the bathroom at the time and it crossed my mind that maybe it was her. But as she returned from the bathroom, the light from the television bounced off her, so you could see her from a lot further back in the room. She was also smaller and a different shape than this thing. I realised what I had seen straight away and sent a very direct message of 'stay away'. It was very interesting but you can't get too serious about it. The minute you pay attention and get freaked out, the more control it has. I always say my very special tribute - f**k off. I'm looking forward to the second half of the story!
Cirdan (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-15)
This was interesting and facinating. I really liked your story.
I can't wait to read the other stories 😊
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-15)
I can comment on shadow people. Seems like they are darker than the space they occupy in the dark. They seem to have no reflective light of their own making them appear dense but flat if that makes any sense. I don't know if this is a trick of the eye in just the right conditions but I had it happened to me at 17 and I have never forgotten the experience and I'm 55 now. To this day I'm not sure what I saw but it did look very real at the time. I thought it was 2 humans not something supernatural until I looked to see if there was anything there when light hit it and of course there wasn't.
alanon80 (5 stories) (7 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-15)
thank you all for your comments. I'll post the next two tales of this later.

to WB, yes that's exactly what it's like. Funny though, no one I've ever spoken to about it has known it. Also do you consider it visiting. I never enjoyed this entities company, or visitation. There was always a look of malice on his face. He would be one I'd wish to never see again. But I hope you enjoy the rest of my stories.

to KimSouth0, the house is white. Haven't been down that way in a while, cause I moved up to drogheda. Which is in a different county. But up here hasn't been without its experiences. This part of ireland is FULL of history and spirits. I love it here. But I'd say it's empty. I'll check next time I'm down, and let you know. Its only a fifty minute drive from my home and I'm always visiting my dad. It would be interesting to see if it is occupied. Lastly, it would be the area. Because the next time I saw him was in a petrol station (on camera), and after that in a pub called John Doyles, up in the male toilets, and the stock room. And both are only a short walk from the house were it all started.

thanks again, look forward to talking with you all soon.

Alanon80 😊
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-15)
If you count my experience with The Man in the Black Hat, then I can say with first hand experience, that the answer to your question is yes. I would agree with WB that it isn`t uncommon to see the same spirit more than once. Thanks for sharing your story.

FRAWIN 😊
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-15)
I am not completely sure I have seen the same 'ghost' more than once. I have heard the same voices, had occuances at the same exact time for a period, see that same shape of a shadow. Sometimes I can be pretty dense and will ignore the obvious until it pretty much gets right in my face, as the 'ghost' did in your story. I am certain, though that there are others that have repeat visits. An 'entity' is like a person with its own identity and if intended for you to see, you will.

I would be very interested in the history of the home. Perhaps though it is not the home, but the land around the home. How long has this home stood vacant? Is the home painted in a green or gold color?

Please keep us posted,
God Bless!
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-15)
Hi alanon.
Is square there, the same as four square here? There one big square on the pavement that is divided into four squares on the inside and one person stands in each square. There is one ball and you try to get people out by landing the ball in their square in a place they can not get to it to hit it in someone else's square? Just curious.
To answer your question as to whether I have seen the same ghost more than once. I would have to say no, I do not think I have. Presently I have just begun to see what are coined as Shadow people, and it is hard to tell if they are the same entity as they are not able to show themselves completely. Yet.
My daughter has though. She has been repeatedly visited be the same being and actually became a friend to him. My son also gets (a different ghost from my daughter) repeat visits. When you think about it, it really is not that odd. They are simply visiting with those that can see them, and often times there are only a few people who can.
Thank you for your story.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: