You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Bad Memories At Nana's House

Real Ghost Stories

Bad Memories At Nana's House

 

Everything I'm about to tell you is completely true and yet to this day even I question myself about it. So here it goes...

When I was 6 years old, my parents went away for their anniversary and my little brother and myself stayed at my Nana's house. My grandfather had passed away a few years before so Nana enjoyed the company.

Now my brother and myself are among the youngest of Nana's grandchildren. The oldest grandchild at the time was 30 and the youngest 5 weeks. My point is Josh (my brother) and I grew up hearing heaps of spooky stories about a particular painting at Nana's.

This painting wasn't hideously ugly... But it wasn't pretty either. It was of an old Aboriginal elder, from the shoulders up, he was know as "Big nose man" (kind of self explanatory). My cousins all used to say that the eyes followed you when you were in the room.

Now I don't remember Nana and Poppa's old house but apparently the Big nose man was hung in Poppa's study, and Blue (their Dog) refused to go anywhere near that room.

So in Nana's new house, in her sewing room hangs the ugly painting of the Big nose man... My brother and I stayed in the guest room (opposite the Sewing room) for the week. On the 3rd night at Nana's, we went and took Blue for a walk. We had gotten to the driveway when I realized that I had forgotten a hat. Nana told me to quickly run and grab one of hers in the sewing room as I would "fart-arse around looking for mine" as she would call it.

So I ran back inside and went straight into the sewing room, not a problem (without thinking more like it) and then it suddenly hit me... Behind me is the Big nose man painting... And within seconds of me thinking that the door slammed shut... I spun around to the door and saw the ankle shadow on the other side. I calmed down then as it must have been Josh or Nana, right?

I turned towards the window (which overlooks the driveway) and saw Nana and Josh with Blue waiting for me at the gate. My stomach dropped and I screamed bloody murder! The room's temperature dropped in a big way, then the Big nose man painting shook violently on the wall... So hard it fell off onto the floor! I burst into tears calling for my Mum and Dad. The next thing I know Nana is at the door calling my name. She pushed the door open and picked me up. I have never been so scared in my life.

She has since burned the painting, apparently there weren't any weird screams coming from it as it burned, just a funny smell and odd colored flames. Nana said it was from the paint and not to read into it...

Thoughts would be much appreciated guys! Thanks for reading xx

Other hauntings by AussieChick95

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, AussieChick95, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

AussieChick95 (10 stories) (40 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-08-28)
Wow, they all sound terrifying! Pictures scare me, and sometimes if you do look at them their eyes move. I have also found pictures of people who have passed away to be especially terrifying! Because that photo (s) would be constant reminder that they are no longer there or if they died young the hatred that you would feel against whomever about their death... I believe that that could cause some serious energy and apparently photos just suck all energy in... Scary thought if its true...
elfstone810 (227 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-08-21)
This reminds me a little of a story my mom used to tell. As a young girl in Kansas City ca. 1930ish she had a neighbor who had a creepy picture. It was a photo of the woman's son in his WW I army uniform, but dozens of other faces would slowly appear around the picture edges. It was just like the pictures in the floor of that house in Spain, if you know what I'm talking about? (Belmez?) The son wasn't dead and they were never able to identify any of the other people. Mom said it was the darnedest thing she ever saw and she never did figure out any explanation for it.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-08-20)
When I was a kid my mom used to have a calendar hanging on the kitchen wall, it had the picture of a young woman holding a colorful bouquet of flowers; my older brother imagined that the woman's eyes follow him and convinced us (my two other siblings and myself) that we should do something about it, we decided to cut the woman's eyes with the scissors... And the problem was solved! 😆
haunted_childhood (34 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-08-20)
One of my mom's friends used to babysit me when I was a little girl. (Her name was Judy) & she had lost a son in a terrible swimming pool accident. She had a huge picture of her deceased son hanging over the mantle piece, and (as a very young child) it used to terrify me!😨 (1) Because his eyes seemed to follow me everywhere. And (2) Just because he was deceased, and I was always expecting his ghost to pop up behind me. (Thankfully, it never did!) But I was sure glad when I was old enough to not need a sitter anymore! 😁
Kiego (2 stories) (52 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-08-19)
My grandparents had a painting like that in their old house when I was little. I never had any waking issues with it but it always seemed to be in my dreams when I slept over at their place. Good read. I felt your terror.
AussieChick95 (10 stories) (40 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-08-18)
Thanks for Commenting Guys, First of all my Nana used to tell Josh and I that the others were telling fibs and not to listen to them. She also told us that most portraits eyes follow you when you move. We both knew and understood this but always felt uneasy about the painting. There was not artist name on the painting only the number or year 1934 next to a scribble in which my older cousins could never make out. Nana had told us that she bought it at a yard sale in the 80's. I tried researching it but there is nothing to narrow it down.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+1
11 years ago (2013-08-17)
Um, no. Just no freaking way in Hades.
Two things I can't stand the thought of being haunted are dolls and paintings. Just too creepy to deal with. No. Blue had the right idea, stay far, far away.
So, now that I'm through cringing, I'll try to piece together my thoughts on the painting itself. Artists put a lot of energy and emotion into the pieces they create. The painting could have absorbed enough of the artist's energy to develop a sort of awareness.
Was Big Nose an actual person? If so, perhaps his awareness came to reside in the painting. Do you know how your grandparents came to possess the piece?
Creepy, creepy experience here. I woulda burned that thing too lol.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-08-17)
AussieChick - okay, since I have a horrible sense of humor, I have to admit this is my favorite part of your story "apparently there weren't any weird screams coming from it as it burned." I actually LOL every time I read this part (and I've read this story several times because I find this hilarious 😆). I would have been expecting the same thing, I assume, tales that there were cries of anguish, or even worse, threats of impending doom coming from Big Nose Man as his face was melting (sort of like the Wicked Witch of the West LOL) 😨

Anyway, thank you for sharing this with us. I really did enjoy it 😊
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-08-17)
AussieChick, Now that was a very interesting experience. Seriously, it would make a great premise for a much longer work of fiction; maybe even a movie. That's the problem with true accounts - usually pretty short 😆.
Like Swimsinfire, I too wonder if Big Nose has a story.
Eyes can be painted to appear to follow you about and if the paint used was oils, burning would have produced many colors as well as an odd smell. The 'ankle shadow' could have been just about anything. But the painting shaking so hard it fell, and the temperature drop at the same time? Either super coincidental (which is highly doubtful) or something was definitely going on. Anyway you slice it, pretty creepy.
BattleScars (3 stories) (44 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-08-17)
OOH Spooky, was the painting done by someone professionally? If so, do you know who has done it?

-- BattleScars
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-08-16)
OK, awsome story.
So did your Nanna have any big nose stories either before or after the burn? What did your siblings tell you? What's his story, have you researched it? Thankyou for the story.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: