You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Black Lady

Real Ghost Stories

The Black Lady

 

This Story happened in year 2006 when my grandmother on my father side died. I was still in elementary and was 11 years old back then.

When my grandmother died, my father's family decided to move her to province called Aklan in the Philippines. They want to have her funeral there. In the Philippines, there's a tradition that when someone dies, they need to keep the body in the family's house for 5-7 days, so that the other relatives will have time to visit and look at that person for the last time. So, my grandmother's funeral take place at my father's family house in the province.

In that 7 days of funeral, there's also a different kind of games they prepared for visitors... Tong-its, lucky nine, bingo, poker, you name it. But in most games, they're basically using cards. And of-course as adults, card games are better if there's money involved in it.

One night, I think if I am not mistaken it's the last night of my grandmother's funeral so, it's the 7th day. I don't remember the exact time but I think it's past midnight because they are distributing the midnight snacks at the time. Anyway, that night, me and my cousins are playing Bingo (google it if you don't know). It's the last day so, we also have money involved when playing it. Our parents gave it to us. And where we played, we have this long table for bingo players only, and beside it, are long chairs to pair with it. The table is like a long table you can see in royal movies with lots of chairs. But, the only difference is that the chair is also long. They make it this way as to minimize the use of space by putting individual chairs.

I was sitting closer at the end of the chair and table. The leader of the Bingo who's calling the letter and number is on the other side of the table from where I am. As far as I can remember, I don't have anyone on my left side that time. Because like I said, I was sitting at the end of the chair. And on my right side was my cousin who's also playing, in front of me is another cousin who's playing. We were playing happily, enjoying, laughing, when suddenly, a boy pat my shoulder from behind me.

I turned around and ask, "what?". The boy answered, "they're calling for you" while he is pointing at the direction of our house. I look at the direction he's pointing and saw my parents, grandparents, uncles and aunts, standing on the balcony. They are waving their hand at me, you can tell it's a sign to go to them. And of-course, as a child, what do you expect? A child was interrupted while playing, of course I will get mad. I was still sitting when I ask them using just lip sign "why?!". My grandmother on my mother side said. "Come here, just a minute, we're just going to ask you something". Feeling frustrated, I stand up and go to them. The distance from where I was sitting to them is more like 10 steps far.

When I entered the balcony of the house where they're standing, my mother immediately hold my hand and drag me to our bedroom and let me sit on the bed. Getting confused, I ask her "What? I was still playing." I saw my aunts looking at the door of our bedroom whispering to each other, and then my grandmother entered the room and said, "just stay here for the time being". I ask "why?" then, I saw from the door that they also called my all cousins playing bingo inside the house. And then, one of my aunt who just came and entered the room said "It's gone." feeling confused, I ask again. "what? What is it?" then my mother sit in front of me in the bed and said...

"While you and your cousin playing bingo, there's a black lady, sitting beside you on your left side. Her eyes are pure red. Staring at you without blinking."

After that, I didn't go outside to continue playing the bingo. All my cousins are also forbidden to go outside by their parents.

Other hauntings by FNoblesse

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Philippines

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, FNoblesse, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

blancdada (1 stories) (17 posts)
 
4 years ago (2020-08-21)
I just read this story and I suddenly remember something similar like this happened to us when my grandmother to my father side died too. I was still a kid back then so I vaguely remember all the details, but I am sure that my older cousins did witness the same thing. We had a 1 week burial for our grandmother in Batangas, on the last day we played tong-its and one of my older cousin went inside the house and started calling us all inside. Then she mentioned that there was a black lady outside with us. Do you think its something related in our Philippine folklore or something?
FNoblesse (5 stories) (17 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-12-07)
Stargeezer,

Yes, I understand. I heard something like that to about funerals and gambling... And to be honest, I kind of disappointed I didn't see her that night. Maybe because curiosity is killing me of what she looked like.
stargeezer (2 stories) (33 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-12-07)
Hi FNoblesse,
Interesting story! Enjoyed reading it. At first I had concerns about disrespecting the deceased at their funeral by the loved ones, having a jolly good time! Also think Lady-glow might have felt somewhat similar. If that was the case the grandmother herself could have been the lady in black? So p***d off at the goings on, haunted her funeral?
BUT that's only one perspective. I'm sure your Grandma led a good happy life, had been loved by her family died of natural cause! Her passing on could have been sad but a joyful event. And different cultures deal with emotions, events likewise. So please note that no disrespect intended here! Which reminds me of some customs or I'd say goings on rather, in funerals over here in Sri Lanka. Fyi, I used to drive/accompany my friends hearse (he runs a funeral parlour) occasionally to various parts of the country where social, ethnic and educational backgrounds vary so much. So I've seen In Some parts gambling at funerals is the norm. Gambling in private places is illegal here. (because any transaction where the "government" don't get its cut as 'tax' is illegal over here!) In fact, illegal gamblers move from one funeral to another and sometimes regardless of whether they know the family. (The ones going through financial hardship find the cut helpful too) And there was this well known incident where the money was so good they've kept the body until and after the maggots started popping out! It's a win- win situation disguised as an innocent game of cards! Morals Vs hardships.
Fnoblesse, please note that I'm not trying to relate my experience and point of view with yours! And I'm glad that as an 11 year old you did not get to see her that night! You'd have had wicked nightmares had you seen her up close!
Regards,
Leo
sugarANDspice (19 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-12-05)
OMG! That's so scary! 😨

I'm glad that lady didn't hurt you.

S&s ❤ ❤
Haven (20 stories) (307 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-12-05)
FNoblesse -

Thanks for explaining, it makes sense now. You don't want to get her angry, ghost or human. 😨

Haven
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-12-05)
This reminds me of the Yeats poem "The Stolen Child" (https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.haaretz.com/amp/life/books/how-can-stolen-children-be-explained-1.5428072). Perhaps the woman was a fairy seeking a child to steal. Since funerals there seem to be less focused on grief than a gathering together of loved ones to celebrate life - perhaps she was looking for a child that was weeping or sad to take. That you all were laughing and happy might have kept her at bay. If she was a fairy, it certainly makes the adults' unwillingness to risk her ore make a great deal of sense!
FNoblesse (5 stories) (17 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-12-04)
Haven,

- They said, she's a pure flesh and bone that look like a real person dress in black. She's wearing a long dress and black slippers.

- Because that Black lady is look like a normal person and not a ghost. She's a flesh and bones just dressed in all black. It will be rude if they just grab me out of knower, because they think she's also a visitor in funeral. Many people go to the funeral even if you don't know them. Since it's open to the public, most people just go there just to play a game.

And my grandmother on my mother side is so religious that she think if she's not a person, they don't want to anger that entity if they grab me and ask her to leave. They think that since she's looking at me, if they anger her, she might do something to me. That's why they want to get me as calmly as they can.
FNoblesse (5 stories) (17 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-12-04)
Majarlika012,

- After that, they said when I was walking away from my table and going to my parents, the black lady is keep staring at me. When I went inside the house, she just walk away and never been seen since that night.

- no, we don't know the reason why she's looking at me. Honestly, I'm just enjoying playing bingo that night.

- the boy who tapped my shoulder is one of the guest in the funeral. I don't really recognize him. Most of the visitor in funeral are friends of other family members.
FNoblesse (5 stories) (17 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-12-04)
Lady-glow,

- no one saw in the black lady other than the people inside the house. Other people whose playing bingo or other games, didn't notice it.

- Because that Black lady is look like a normal person and not a ghost. She's a flesh and bones just dressed in all black. It will be rude if they just grab me out of knower, because they think she's also a visitor in funeral. Many people go to the funeral even if you don't know them. Since it's open to the public, most people just go there just to play a game.

And my grandmother on my mother side is so religious that she think if she's not a person, they don't want to anger that entity if they grab me and ask her to leave. They think that since she's looking at me, if they anger her, she might do something to me. That's why they want to get me as calmly as they can.
FNoblesse (5 stories) (17 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-12-04)
RCRuskin,

No, the boy who tapped my shoulder is one of the guest in the funeral. I don't really recognize him. Most of the visitor in funeral are friends of other family members.
Haven (20 stories) (307 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-12-04)
FNoblese -

Sounds like a very experience. When you say 'black lady', does this mean she was dressed in black or was she a black shadow?

I have the same question as lady-glow, why wouldn't your parents run and get you instead of sending someone?
majarlika012 (12 stories) (122 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-12-04)
Lady-glow, yeah, funerals are fun here in the Philippines. Most of the time, it's a way for long lost family members to come and see each other - serves as a reunion.
majarlika012 (12 stories) (122 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-12-04)
what happened after that? Did anyone of you have seen that black lady again after that incident? Did you figure out why she's looking at you without blinking? And yeah, who's that boy?
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2018-12-04)
Did any of your cousins playing bingo see the black lady seated at your side?

No offense intended but, - why didn't one, or more, of the adults go to fetch you instead of sending another kid to call you? - I understand that seeing the black lady must have been scary but... Whatever happened to their parental protective instincts? 🤔

Anyway, it seems like funerals are kind of fun in the Philippines. 😉

Thanks for sharing.
RCRuskin (9 stories) (818 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-12-03)
😨

OK. That black lady with fiery eyes is definitely scary.

But that boy who tapped you on your shoulder. Was he one of your cousins, a sibling, or some other member of your family?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: