You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Have You Seen Her?

Real Ghost Stories

Have You Seen Her?

 

3:30. The time I've been so anxiously waiting for all day. So mentally exhausted from a long day of pointless algorithms and discussions about why we should buckle down on learning the theme of the book we'd been assigned that week. I had been so eager to burst out of the school building and smell that oh so splendid smell of diesel that would carry me home. When I saw the three numbers that meant freedom I bolted into the crowded lot. I searched up and down the rows trying to find the big yellow contraption.

"Hey Erin!" My friend Darla called out, running to catch up with me. "Hey D" I replied. "Any fun plans for this weekend?" She questioned. "No just working" I shrugged. Where was my bus? I scanned each of the rows and stopped dead in my tracks when I saw something very unusual and very out of place. As a junior in high school the sight of this was rare. A tiny child... A tiny girl who I assumed was only six or seven stood at the bus's steps. Something about her held my attention and wouldn't let it go. It was as if she'd glued my eyes to her and made everything else in the world disappear. Her hair was an orange red color and tied neatly into two pigtails, she held her purple flower dress neatly in place, and she held what looked like an old bag someone would've carried perhaps in the 1940s era. I couldn't look away on my own. I also noticed how a yellow glow, perhaps the sun, surrounded her. "Erin? Is everything okay?" Darla asked. "Y...yea" I stammered. "I'm going to... Go over here. See ya later" I began taking steps to the bus this little girl was standing at. When I'd turned my attention back to the spot after bidding Darla goodbye I couldn't help but let jaw fall agape. She was gone. The little girl had vanished. Surely I wasn't seeing things I thought to myself.

I walked to the bus and looked at the bus driver. "Um excuse me" I said. "Have you seen a little girl? Red hair? Dress. Six years old I think?". "Mm sorry darlin" she shook her head. "Don't no one under 14 ride my bus". I looked out into the distance and thought surely I hadn't seen a ghost? A spirit of some sort? I'd only seen that in movies. I shook my head and hopped down back onto the asphalt and made my way to my bus.

I knew better than to tell the delinquent children on my bus what had happened. The whole bus ride had been filled with my thoughts. Who was she? What was she? Was she in fact... A she? A person? From that day forward I'd forever be asking myself have you seen her?...this is my ghost story. Maybe you'll find her too...

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from North Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ErinMichelle02, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Cherubim (14 stories) (245 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-08-31)
That is so strange. I wonder why she chose to show herself to you? I think some of us have "abilities" we are unaware of.
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-03-01)
Ugh, all the buses at my old school wreaked of diesel and now, more years on than my vanity will admit, the smell from the school busses is still choking if I perchance am caught driving behind one.

The little girl you described reminded me of... Well me. The bookbags I carried were always a little different - never the standard backpack (much to my chagrin). My favorite dress was just as you describe and at that age my hair was always always always in pigtails (my mom had a thing for them). Odd! ❤
msforgetmenott (17 stories) (316 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-02-20)
My Grand Daughter has been bringing me her school work, for years. I do not wish to be rude, but she favored the name Daria, claiming it was her new name. At a young age, she became smarter than I on the computer. Your story caused me to look through her papers I have kept on file. She even had her name as Daria and had a friend named Erin. Strange, in her story, she even mentioned the school bus, and she found how high the bus steps were to climb. Now at 14 and entering high school in the fall, she has advanced, and her legs are longer.

I mention this, as this tiny girl you saw was at the bus steps, did she have purple ribbons in tied to her braids? Just how was she holding her dress, if she had a bag? How long was her dress? Was this bag, brown paper, common in 50's, 60's, and 70's.
How could you see this tiny girl, when you had a hard time finding the bus? How old do you think this bus is?

I would give you an A for a well punctuated, short story.

Like Biblio I taught school,
Jan
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-02-17)
Greetings, Erin, and welcome to YGS.

I apologize if this question seems odd, but was the little girl wearing gloves or not? This is a detail that may help to narrow down the era of her clothing.

Was she standing on the steps, or was she standing next to them and waiting to board the bus? How old is the bus? How old is your school building?

Thanks,
Biblio.

Addendum: School busses have to endure a lot of abuse, but if you can smell the diesel fumes it means the engine is not very well maintained. Rudolf Diesel's precision engines were designed to obliterate the fuel, producing power, some heat, and one by-product: steam. The engines he built ran on what we now call "Bio-Diesel," because he fueled them with peanut oil.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: