You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Scared of Clowns

Real Ghost Stories

Scared of Clowns

 

Have you ever had an experience that was so unexplainable, that even after twenty years, you still pull that memory out and examine it, searching for answers? That is what happened to me, and I am still grappling with this experience. It all started when I was ten years old, in the summer of 1982.

My family had flown from Pennsylvania to California to visit my Aunt and cousins. I have never had any type of paranormal experiences aside from those in this house, which I am about to relate. So I had no bad vibes or hesitation about staying at this house, the thought of anything paranormal never crossed my mind. A little background on the room I was staying in, it belonged to my cousin and had a very large clown painted on the wall. At this point I was not scared of clowns, not amused either, just indifferent. The lights in the room were controlled by a dimmer switch, you would push the switch in to turn it on and then turn it to adjust the brightness of the light. For some unexplained reason, my cousin, brother and I spent the night sleeping on the floor, no one was in the bed, must have been a kid thing. I awoke in the middle of the night and noticed that the light was getting brighter and brighter. As I lay on the floor trying to figure out what was going on, the lights started to get dimmer and dimmer. The change was not super fast, but definitely fast enough to be noticeable. The dimmer switch was located next to the door, and I expected to see my folks or aunt standing there, checking up on the kids, but the door was firmly shut.

I have never been so scared in my life, too scared to even wake the others up, I just laid there watching the lights get brighter then dimmer to the point it was almost total darkness. The scariest part was that I knew that clown was on the wall a few feet away from the dimmer switch, I could not bring myself to glance away from that switch, certain that the clown would be looking at me. It seemed like the lights were changing for hours, but that was probably the fear that made it seem so long. I do not think I ever went back to sleep that night, just stayed there, too scared to move!

In thinking back on this over the years I have never come up with a logical explanation for what I was, it seems that a malfunctioning light might have gone on and off, but not brighter to dimmer. I also questioned whether I truly "woke-up", but the experience is so clear, the feelings and the fear, after twenty five years, that it seems unlikely. Ever since that night, I have been scared to death of clowns.

Fast forward to twenty plus years, I was taking a business trip out to California and was planning on staying at my Aunt's home for a few days before I started my work. I was exhausted the night I arrived and went to bed early. Honestly, the entire light episode was so far from my mind, that I fell asleep instantly. I awoke at 4:30 in the morning, wide awake. This always happens when I fly from the east coast to the west, and have found the best way to deal with it is to just get up, knowing I would not be able to fall back to sleep. I decided to go into the family room and watch TV, since that room was far removed from the bedrooms, no one would be disturbed at that early hour. In order to get to the family room I had to walk down the hallway the bedrooms were located in through the den. As soon as I entered the den, I froze. There is no other way to describe it; I just did not want to take a step into that room. To the right side of the den is a couch, without looking at the couch, it was as if I sensed that there was something there, that did not want me in that room. I admit it I ran through that room into the living room, never glancing at the couch. When I got to the living room, everything felt normal, but I still turned on every light and the TV! As I sat there, I thought back to that first experience and the one that just occurred. I could not explain that overwhelming fear I felt. I had never felt anything like that in my life, I thought maybe subconsciously I was thinking about that earlier experience and it was affecting me still.

After a few hours, my aunt joined me in the living room. We had never spoken of the paranormal, and I was not sure what her views are on it, so I was not sure if I should mention it to her or not. Well, I ended up telling her everything, both the experience twenty some years ago (which I had never mentioned to anyone but my brother) and that mornings adventure. It was then she told me that when they had first moved into their home, she had a very vivid dream that there were two people sitting on the couch in the den, she said you could not make out features, they were more black shapes, but it appeared that both "shapes" were holding cigarettes. In her dream she said you could see the red tip of the cigarettes glowing.

I still can not decide if the experiences I had at that house were a combination of my imagination and electrical problems, or if something is truly in that home. The second experience I tend to doubt more easily since it relied on feelings. I almost wish I had looked at the couch to see if something was there. But I know if I had it to do over again, I would still run. I should note that I have lived in various places, some of which have been over a hundred years old and never had any other experiences at all.

Any thoughts, ideas or explanations would be appreciated. And yes, I still hate clowns.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, sasi3489, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

bobdylanrock2244 (1 stories) (16 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-05-14)
i watched the film (the hole) it has clowns in and I hate clowns too I used to have one and I gave it my brother and for some reason he had funny dreams then when we took it out he stopped having them
aiafaith1 (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-12)
I'm with you on the fear of clowns. They aren't funny. They aren't cute. They aren't fun to be around. They can't put on shows. Clowns are just SCARY. That's the only word that describes them.
ScaredOfGhosts (4 posts)
-1
14 years ago (2010-06-08)
I HATE clowns too... They aren't even funny... Oh, and I don't really think that the clown had to do with the (I presume) faulty switch or the couch.
mjfreak123 (1 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2009-10-25)
omg... I frikin am scared of clowns. I love the joker though. He is awesomeness. I HATE ronald mcdonald. I had like 20 nightmares of him and he was my biggest fear. "it" clown pennywise is not scary looking really. He is "kinda funny" in a very scary way. Joker is hillarious in a evil way. Pennywise is only scary in some parts. The shower one especially. "shivers" to clowns.
mistymonkey22 (4 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-08-04)
I have been scared of clowns since I watched the horror film 'IT'. That film scared me sooo much and I hate clowns! 😢 😲
princess123 (7 stories) (186 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-05-31)
Hello, I just want to say this... I HATE CLOWNS TOO! Even my younger brother who is 4 hates them always has. I also have a dimmer switch and strange things always happen with it, although mine is different, on mine you don't have to push it to turn it on, just turn it right up, you then hear a click when you turn it off or on, and every week on a random day I hear the click and it goes on then again and it goes off. Weird...

Thanks for reading my comment and great story!

Princess123 x ❤
Dawkins20 (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-28)
Im am so scared of clowns people lagh at me its that bad. When I was little I had a stuffed clown, I think that did it.
owllight_scholar (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-23)
OMG! Somrthing similar happened to me two years ago. I had a few friends sleeping over. We were not sleeping, we were being loud and annoying and couldn't stop laughing. I forgot what was so funny. I then jokingly said that we should be quite or we'll anger the ghosts. Well, that made us laugh even more and when that happened, the lights dimmed out. We all saw the switch turn by itself. For a few moments we sat there in the dark afraid to move until one of my friends got the courage to turn the light back on.
NELLY13 (6 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-30)
kia ora, yeah I would be scared if that happen to me, when I get scared I don't move cause if I move I think that something might get me, but anywayz that was a cool but scary storie!

SHOT 😁 ❤
rubyrose_99 (4 stories) (15 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-16)
I don't think the clown had anything to do with the lights but I'n also scared of clowns. I don't know why, but they remind me of vampires. 😨 😆 ❤
AnimeLover4ever (2 stories) (13 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-08)
That would scare me to death! I was sitting around with my big brother once when I was little and the movie "It" came on. And, somehow, I like clowns now a little more than I did before I saw that movie...weird, huh? But clowns are still freaky. Anyway, thanks for sharing your story, I could almost feel your fear as I was reading this. Hope you're doing well! 😊
❤AnimeLover4ever
Carrotred (35 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-22)
Shadow ghosts eh?

Yeh most likely "Evil" Some (Me) believe they are demons taking on a more human form (Instead of possesing) and could have generated your fear of clowns. But if they are haunting in your aunts house, then are most likely are not demons. I suggest you try to overcome your fear, and pray.

All the best - Carrotred
metalhed16 (14 stories) (119 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-05-10)
clowns are the stupidest thing on the face of the earth... Creepy as hell...*Shudders*...I remember watching TV and that 'evil clown' thing came on...didn't help I was at another persons hosue late at night babysitting either lol...

gross...clowns are creepy lol
bossymiss (1 stories) (30 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-13)
ive allways been scared of clowns even when I say it I shake and shiver I wouldent of even gone in that room I'm scared now because I have got a dimmer switch 😨 😨 😨
NightMaiden (6 stories) (21 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-12)
Doncha worry. One of my family members, when she was a baby, the minute she saw a clown she'd burst into tears.

I don't like clowns either. I think they're creepy 😭

Thanks for sharing with us!
sasi3489 (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-11)
Thanks for all your comments and input.

Whitebuffalo- I never thought to question my cousins, I figured if anything had happened my aunt would have mentioned it. Your point about them not saying anything either is really good. Thanks

Deathcipris- That was exactly what it felt like. I have never experienced anything like it before. Once was enough for me, I can't imagine experiencing it several times like you!

Anna12-I don't think the clown was doing it either, but in my mind that experience will forever be linked to the clown!

Ohiowatha-That is a really valid point, I never thought of it that way. The experiences did change my views on what might be out there, but I still tend to analyze things carefully.

Again, thanks all!
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-11)
Okay, I have met many people who are afraid of clowns, but I first want to say that I do not feel the clown painting in the room had anything to do with the activity. I am not saying the fear isn't there and waranted, it was on the wall when a very imporessionable young child had the beejeebes scared out of them, it stands to reason that this image wouod stick with your sub concious.

You should NEVER ignore your feelings. You felt something in the den, obviously there was a reason you had this feeling. You know, we often hear of, say, someone who has had their wallet stolen. The victim will say something like' I just knew there was something wrong with that guy', or a person who had their home broken into and comes in. Before noticing anything out of the ordinary, they state 'I had a feeling that something was worng in the air'. These feeling are no different than what you experienced.

Entities, past life, paranormal, what ever term you would like to use are formed of energy. They require energy to manifest or onteract in any way. Therefore, if you feel a presence, you are feeling that energy.

I agree with Ohio--- they or it, which ever the case may be sensed you would be able to acknowledge and register their presence, so...

Also, since you had not spoken of the earlier incident with anyone, who can you be so sure that others have not had occurnaces in the home? Many people (I was one of them for a very long time) are reluctant to discuss or voice these types of occurances because of others perceptions. SO, it goes undiscussed, unrecognized and unacknowledged.

Keep us posted!

God Bless!
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-11)
While I don't think the "clown" had anything to do with the dimmer switch, it is possible that an entity in the house sensed something accesible in you. On a scale from 1-10 of reception, most people are down around 0 or 1 and never experience anything supernatural. Some people, like WhiteBuffalo or KimSouthO are closer to an 8 or 9, while others seem to interact with spirits almost constantly, thus making them a 10. Personally, I think I'm about a 5, while you might be a 3 or 4. What I'm getting at is that these entities might have jumped at the chance to interact with "a 3" in a house of 1s or 0s. So when you came as a child, they played with the dimmer for you. When you returned as an adult, you sensed them on the couch.

I'd say you were privy to something. Your experiences in conjunction with your aunt's are pretty serindipitous, at least. I also respect your take on this as empirical and objective, questioning, but firm in noticing SOMEthing going on.

Thanks much for sharing.
Anna12 (1 stories) (44 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-11)
Hello Sasi.
I don't think the clown has anything to do with the light switch but I totally understand why you would hate clowns. I personally find it really creepy that your cousin had a clown painted on his wall 😆
Anyways, good story. You have two real paranormal experiences there.
deathcipris (2 stories) (21 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-10)
clowns = nightmare fuel

I can understand completely what you are talking about when you say you felt like you couldn't move and you just froze. I have experienced the same thing a few times on different occasions. It sorta feels like a wall that just seizes every muscle in your body and the only way to go is back the way you came in. Close or way off? As for the light switch, I can't say I haven't been around when that happened. In my friends case, it was due to a loose knob but his would only turn one direction and either get brighter or darker not back and forth. BTW the story was very well-written and was very detailed.

-Matt
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-10)
I can see why you would question it, sasi. I can only ask you one question.
How sure are you that no one else ever saw, heard, smelled, or FELT anything in that house? The problem with the Unknown is that there are those who would deny it and live in THAT form of protection, and then there are those who seek protection or enlightenment elsewhere.
In the absence of having someone to talk through these experiences with, maybe there was someone else there who said nothing as they did not want to face ridicule.
I rather enjoyed reading about you being skeptical about these instances and the things you did to try to find out if they were Truth or imagination (or some other explanation), as some would just jump on the wagon and say it was definitely a ghost and not look into the possibilities.
Thanks again.
sasi3489 (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-10)
Frawin and Whitebuffalo,
Thanks for your comments. I do tend to be very analytical in my thinking, especially since it was something I experienced. The biggest thing that made me question my experience, was that aside from my aunt having a dream, no one else has ever had any experiences in that house, and they have lived there for over thirty years. Which makes me question what I experienced.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-10)
Hi Sasi,
I would say, also, that it sounds as if you had two paranormal experiences. People have different forms of experiences and sense things with all, or just part of their senses.
I see that you have tried to rationalize out both of the instances and therefore must ask you... What do you FEEL about the occurrences? I know you think the first one could have been electrical difficulties or a half sleep state. In the second one you do not think it was real as it was just a feeling. But what do you FEEL?
Thank you.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-10)
Hello sasi. Thank you for sharing your story with us. While you could rationalize it away if you chose to, I feel you had two real paranormal experiences. I would say the first one they were either checking on you or were curious to who you were and the second time they just didn't want to be bothered. Neither time they meant you no harm. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: