You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Dark Cloaked Being

Real Ghost Stories

Dark Cloaked Being

 

It was 1960 and I was three and a half years old. Some say I may have been too young to recall it accurately but I remember it as clearly as the night it happened and it's always been with me.

My father and sister were both in hospital with a virus and apparently my father was, at one stage, on death's door. I think that may be appropriate. I had also had the virus but kicked it off and was not hospitalized.

I was sent to bed that night by my grumpy mother who did not allow me to have a light on, so I lay in the dark waiting for my eyes to adjust. There was moonlight coming through the window. Then I sensed someone was in the room with me and I was terrified. I was too scared to call out to my mother. Soon after that he appeared and stood directly over me, looking down at me. He had a black cloak on and the hood was dropped around his shoulders, so I saw his face clearly. He had unkempt brown hair down to his shoulders, a hawk-like nose and black eyes that bore into my soul. It's still hard to describe the look he gave me but it was dark and unknowable; beyond my comprehension. Hostile, certainly. Curious, maybe. He did not speak. It was the first time I ever experienced a cold sweat. I was actually sitting up at the time. I hadn't yet gotten under the covers. For some time my eyes were locked onto his and I could not break away. Then I thought I had to block him out so I suddenly squeezed my eyes shut. I knew he was still there. Then I inched my way under the covers and pulled the blanket up over my head. I stayed there 'til I was just about suffocating and, finally, I opened my eyes and he was gone.

For a long time, in my life, I felt that he never really left. I've even had a feeling he was like a bad fairy who cursed me. I told my mother about it the next morning and I called him a monster. She was just annoyed that I had an "overactive imagination". Twenty years later I mentioned it again and she concluded, fearfully, that it must have been the devil, which was most unhelpful. This is difficult to publish because it's so very personal. I've only done it so maybe I can get some clue. Maybe someone out there can actually help.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, RobinOdea, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

silverthane61 (4 stories) (344 posts)
+1
4 years ago (2020-02-24)
That is truly upsetting. I have read many cases concerning shadow beings, but yours goes beyond the normal descriptions of those beings. Your description is very detailed - especially the facial features. Shadow beings do not have facial features, their faces being obscured by shadow. Whatever it was, two things are evident: 1) it caused you to be extremely fearful, and 2) despite the feelings that you have that it may have not left, you have reported no other negative occurrences associated with the being. Given the amount of time that has passed since your sighting, I would be guardedly hopeful that this was a one-time event. Maybe someone has been helping you without your knowing it that has caused the being to stay away.
RCRuskin (9 stories) (811 posts)
+1
4 years ago (2020-02-18)
No worries, Robin. I hope I did not come across too harsh. People can remember somethings very strongly. Just makes me more curious what you saw. Thank you for sharing.
RobinOdea (1 stories) (1 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-02-16)
Ancient spark: A death being. Angel of death? Yes. Must have been.
RC Ruskin: I put the wrong date. It was 1963. Slip up. Also I said at first I was lying down waiting for my eyes to adjust to the dark, but that was a slip up. I always knew I was sitting up, waiting. And it wasn't even a normal bed but an army stretcher, because I was bedwetting then. Is that too much information? I'm saying I trust my memory. It was also a full moon. I remember that too.
Maria: A curse? Maybe I'm wrong about that. Reading your comments seems to put it in a different light. I have had bad luck in my life and that's why I said that. No, I don't see shadows now. Maybe the visitation wasn't so personal but had more to do with my father, who was in hospital for two months and, apparently, and was on death's door at one stage. Could have been right at that time, for all I knew. I was very close to my father. Have to mention that my mother was very annoyed that I had the virus and escaped unharmed, as she put it. And yes, Maria, there was discord in the house. My mother was hostile toward me. I remember the incident clearly for lots of reasons. She always made me feel bad about giving my father and sister the bug. And without Dad there I felt unprotected in the house; all alone with Mum. Prior to this I had never seen any negative apparition, I have to say. I did see little pixies. They would entertain me sometimes if I was scared of the dark. They would play on the window sill. I have never seen the apparition since. Thank you for your comments. It was helpful.
ancient_spark (3 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-02-16)
Black or grey cloaked figures, in my experience, are "workers of Death". That means, they are guys who come after the souls of the deceased to help them to cross over. They are not hostile, but emanate death energy, and that feels hostile enough. The thing you are feeling might simply be a strong impression that stays with you to this day. Just let it go, and you will be okay.
RCRuskin (9 stories) (811 posts)
+6
4 years ago (2020-02-15)
I'm always suspicious of statements like "I remember it as clearly as the night it happened", since memories do not work the way most people think. Just as an example, I distinctly remember a certain snow storm happening when I was 10. Checking the actual records and news reports, turns out I was 9. Eh. Close enough, right? 😁

It felt hostile to you, and strong emotions like that do help us latch onto memories, and they are often best retrieved when in a similar emotional state, or drunk, or whatever state we were in when it happened...

Like Lea and Tweed, I'm wanting to know more, but I will not pry since, as you say, it is personal. I hope you feel safe enough to share more.
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+6
4 years ago (2020-02-15)
Hi Robin,

I'd go with what you felt at the time, this entity was curious but hostile. As for what it is sounds like some kind of nature spirit, fairy, going by it's face and attire. They're not always nice, some are said to be jerks. On the flip side it's possible your natural fear reaction overrode everything else. He may have been there in a protective capacity. Like you felt the timing, what was happening, a likely relevant component.

Some people do remember as far back as you have. I have a memory of before I was one year old, confirmed by my parents. I know a couple of others who have memories from as far back. So it can, and does happen. Also it's possible you are simply supposed to remember this event, perhaps so you can learn from it in some way. That's something only you can know for sure.

Lealeigh, I had the same questions as you, tried the vote, but it told me to get stuffed.
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-02-14)
Hello Robin and welcome to YGS,

"For a long time, in my life, I felt that he never really left. I've even had a feeling he was like a bad fairy who cursed me."

I don't mean to ask you about anything that is too personal; what kind of feelings have you had that have made you feel like he has never left?

Have there been many times that you have seen things out of the corner of your eyes?

I believe that little children are able to see things in a straightforward way. Later in life, I think they lose this ability when they grow into a routine in their lives.

Maybe he was hanging around because there was discord in your family; sadness because of illness. I think that negative entities hang around negative places.

If you don't mind my asking, how long did your father and sister remain in the hospital?

- Maria

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: