You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Grim Reaper Smelled Me

Real Ghost Stories

Grim Reaper Smelled Me

 

I travel once in a while for my job. I had flown to California and was back at the hotel after work.

At about 3am I woke up to the grim reaper standing at the foot of my bed. He was very tall, in a hooded black as night cloak. I could kind of see some shape of a skull underneath the hood. He walked towards me and stopped right about at my waist, then bent over and smelled my body as if I was a roast. I could feel how pleased my scent made him, as if he had been waiting for along time to get his hands on me. That was when I started screaming but it only came out in desperate muffled sobs. He continued to take big deep breaths in while moving up and down my body from my waist to my head, each time raising up after and exhaling out in pleasure. It was horrible. I continued screaming until he just vanished. I felt as if I was close to death that night, and he was there to collect my soul.

I had taken a prescription benzo that night along with alcohol to fall asleep. I think I almost died from that combo. I was not asleep while that happened, the minute he vanished there was no transition time from being asleep to waking up. I was def awake the whole time. He was not there to pleasantly transition me to the other side either. I felt as if he was the hunter and I was the prey. Yes I've heard of sleep paralysis but this was not it. He was hungry for a soul, and seemed like some are more delicious to him than others. It sounds silly now, but at the time it was horrible. Why he would smell me up and down like that drawing in my essence gives me chills to this day.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Saltlick, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

LaurenNH13 (2 stories) (4 posts)
+5
2 years ago (2021-10-13)
Hi RCRuskin,

As the body is slowly shutting down it causes changes in the chemical balance of the body, which is why there is a smell. I wouldn't necessarily say the body ceases but it does slow down causing less blood circulation and blood flow to organs.
omar01 (3 posts)
+3
2 years ago (2021-10-12)
were you able to see his "face"?
And was he holding something?
Thanks for sharing
RCRuskin (9 stories) (811 posts)
+4
3 years ago (2021-09-06)
Hi, LaurenNH13.:)

I've been checking in on this story periodically, wondering if Saltlick would ever comment further. I have a question for you from your comment, and maybe you could answer, maybe not.

I know that after death, when the chemical reactions that we call life cease, decay begins. I also learned that this chemical death can take, sometimes, 12 or more hours to complete as different parts of the body cease to function.

Can a person die piecemeal? (Gross question in many ways, but would part of a body cease and then another part, etc.?)

And unrelated followup question/comment: One would think the Grim Reaper would know who to collect at a given location, so why would it check each patient by smell?
LaurenNH13 (2 stories) (4 posts)
+5
3 years ago (2021-09-04)
As someone who works with palliative patients, there is a smell the emits when someone is close to dying. It's an odd sweet smell.

But as everyone has stated could be a hallucination from those Benzos and alcohol
Rajine (14 stories) (734 posts)
+4
3 years ago (2021-08-12)
Hi Saltlick

That certainly sounds terrifying, has this happened to you more than once?

Also it's not a wise idea to mix medications and alcohol, it's very dangerous and can even be fatal.
Cherubim (14 stories) (245 posts)
+3
3 years ago (2021-08-11)
I've heard it said our bodies are just "containers" for our souls. It does sound like it was after your soul! When we have "happenings" under the influence of alcohol and or drugs, it makes it hard for people to believe what we've experienced is real. I've experienced something very freaky too under the influence of speed years ago. Maybe I will write about it some day. In any case I'm very glad it didn't get your soul! Please be careful in the future mixing alcohol and pills, I lost a friend that way. Healing prayers sent your way, thanks for sharing. ❤
RCRuskin (9 stories) (811 posts)
+6
3 years ago (2021-08-11)
I'm not saying it is sleep paralysis, but most of the details you describe match a sleep paralysis episode. The smelling you does not match sleep paralysis, but hallucinations do.

Overall, your experience reminds me of an experience I read somewhere, wish I could remember, where the spirit of a deceased addict hung around living addicts, sometimes slipping into their bodies according to the account, to experience the high again.

Was rather sad and disturbing thing to me.
LightMight (4 stories) (137 posts)
+6
3 years ago (2021-08-10)
Hello Saltlick,

Glad you are here and able to share your story with us!

There's a few possibilities that could've been going on that night in your hotel room. I'm not trying to discount your terrifying experience with what you believe was the grim reaper, but there is the possibility that the benzodiazepine and the alcohol may have impaired your thoughts, or caused hallucinations. Benzos and booze enhance eachother, and you can drink less but you'll feel more intoxicated thanks to the benzos. Another thought is this, because you were most likely in a relaxed state you may have left yourself open and vulnerable to this dark entity - perhaps this entity was waiting for someone like you to come along? It's commonly known that mixing Benzos and alcohol, especially closely together, can put anyone at risk for respiratory failure and lower heart rate that can basically slow your vitals down very quickly. Much like you previously mentioned, maybe your life was in jeopardy that night, and he was there to take advantage of that?

Whatever the case may be, I'm sorry you've had this experience ~ stay safe;)
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+6
3 years ago (2021-08-10)
"I had taken a prescription benzo that night along with alcohol to fall asleep."

Perhaps what you experienced was a hallucination?

Anyway, whatever it was, I'm glad it didn't do more than smelling you.

Thanks for sharing and welcome to YGS.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: