You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Boarding House

Real Ghost Stories

The Boarding House

 

It has been 2 years since I last shared my stories here. I wanted to share something else that also happened in the boarding house where I used to live when I was young. As a background, the boarding house is semi-concrete, the first floor is made of concrete while the 2nd floor is made of wood. Anyway here is my story.

I was such a bookworm when I was still in high school. I spent my days during summer break reading in the downstairs living room of the boarding house. I was usually alone during daytime because the adults (my mom and our housemates) were at work.

Most of the time when I was alone, I would hear footsteps upstairs. The footsteps were sometimes light, like someone was very careful not to make noise, but other times the footsteps were heavy like someone was angry stomping on the wooden floors. Most of the time though, they sounded like someone was dragging their feet across the wooden floor. I just disregarded it actually, I was so engrossed with my reading that I thought of it as the old house settling or some huge rats (which that house had a few) scurrying upstairs. So I just did not think of it too much and went on with my life.

My bed was right under the window. The window has wooden slats which I push to close. The window that was directly near my head was broken so I needed to prop an empty Efficascent bottle at the bottom to keep it closed. I was a bit lazy so some nights I would forget to close the window. And those nights when the window was open, I always had nightmares of a very tall shadowy man who would lean from outside and into my window and beckon me. He had long arms and long legs and faceless. Now you might say that this description sounds exactly like the slender man but to be honest, I have not heard of slender man since a year or 2 ago. The slender man actually reminded me of my nightmares.

Again I just went on with my life. I studied hard late into the nights and ignored the noises and bumps when I was the only one awake. I tried my best ignoring the nightmares, prayed hard when the tall man visited my sleep and by morning just moved on. I did not dwell on those things, thinking that they are just products of my active imagination.

Now, 20 years later, my memories of that house are mostly bittersweet because I spent my teenage years there when we were struggling financially. I did not associate that house to the supernatural nor did I remember it with fear. However, a few weeks ago, one of our former housemates found me on Facebook and connected with me. We chatted for a while, the usual "kumustahan" (catching up) and reminiscing the old house. Out of the blue, she said "I hate that house. I always hear footsteps when I'm alone, even during the day! I could not sleep properly too. I always had nightmares of a tall "anino" peeking through my window." Anino is Filipino for shadow.

Oh ok. I honesty did not know what to think when she said that. I quickly shared to her my experience and she was shocked. Only my mom knew of the nightmares I had. I asked her if she ever mentioned it to anyone and she said no. I believed her because my mom is not the type to share these kinds of things to others.

Was the tall shadowy man real and not just a figment of my active imagination? Were the footsteps paranormal? I'm actually amazed at how I behaved when I experienced those things! I mean, I basically ignored them!

Sorry this was very long. Thanks for reading up to here!

Other hauntings by thegreenmachine

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Philippines

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, thegreenmachine, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Zaruje (15 stories) (182 posts)
 
2 years ago (2021-11-18)
Hi.
Pinoy here. I'm starting a podcast sa youtube and was wondering if pwede kong basahin ang kwento mo for my playlist of real horror stories. If ok sayo, contact me at this email, zarujaz1994 [at] gmail.com

Thank you and hope to hear from you 😁
Emilieoxox (3 stories) (5 posts)
+6
2 years ago (2021-10-19)
Hi there, sorry I'm a little late to the party here.
I was just wondering, have you considered finding out any significant history of the area as well as the building?
Sometimes a haunting of a building can be connected to the land and surrounding area rather than the building itself, so it's definitely worth looking into that too if you haven't already.
Fascinating story.
Cherubim (14 stories) (245 posts)
+3
3 years ago (2021-09-10)
What are the odds that you and your housemate both saw the same entity?! Did you only dream of the shadow man when the window was open? That gives me chills! There seems to be a fine line between dreams and reality to me. Finding out about the history of the house would be interesting. Thanks for sharing your story, it was spooky good!
Rajine (14 stories) (734 posts)
+3
3 years ago (2021-09-08)
Hi thegreenmachine

I believe that perhaps something was attached to the house, but from your incident and that of your friend it seems it wasn't very malevolent, but still creepy nonetheless.
BaiAnina (3 stories) (41 posts)
+4
3 years ago (2021-09-07)
Sounds to me like the house might have a bit of history. And it doesn't help that some corners cannot be reached by light too! Anything can happen within those 20 years, and sometimes there's a reason why houses are converted to paupahan (rentals) instead haha.

I'm glad at least that whatever manifestation was in there didn't hinder you from keeping up with school at the time. Some entities after all could get so emotionally draining.

Do you think you can find the history of the boarding house? Is it in the province by any chance? 👀
thegreenmachine (3 stories) (16 posts)
+4
3 years ago (2021-09-06)
Hi TheSweetDevil23,

Thanks for reading my story! The house was around 20 years old at the time the events in my story happened. Nothing extraordinary or historic came to mind about the house but maybe I'm just not aware. A few families had lived in the house before it was converted to a boarding house but unfortunately I did not know them.

Maybe it has something to do with the design of the house. It has a lot of dark corners where sunlight could not reach even if we open all windows. Or maybe I had drawn the paranormal in? I was such a temperamental and emo teenager who loved to be alone most of the time. My negative energy may have attracted the woo woo stuff.
TheSweetDevil23 (6 stories) (49 posts)
+1
3 years ago (2021-09-05)
Oh wow. That was eerie 😨 Even I used to often ignore such sounds and voices at the beginning of the paranormal events that'took place in my life. Did you ever found out anything extraordinary or more historic about your boarding house? I feel there must be some secrets about the place. Or maybe the presence of kids being at one place draws in the attention of such entities... Who knows 😨...It is just an assumption from my side...

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: