You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Old Nun

Real Ghost Stories

The Old Nun

 

The story I actually thought I've put up...awell...my story, again, takes place in the late 1970s, around 1978 when I was ten. I went to a small country town Catholic Primary school that was taught by nuns. It was an old school, maybe dating back to the very late 1890s as it had an old church on the hill (now torn down), old classrooms (which we'll get to in a few secs) that were made from solid Australian Hardwood like red gum and Rosewood as well as teak (the floors were made from teak).

It was a Friday afternoon and I was going to spend a weekend with my best mate, Luke (see The Old Packing Shed). This was just before he and his family moved out to their big old farmhouse, as they had a house in town (yea pretty wealthy farming family they were). Luke and I planned to "break into" the school, which was simply just walking through the gate that led into the school. One of our mates left one of the doors to the classroom unlocked.

So, Saturday morning Luke and I rode up to the school (him on his bike, me on his sister's), dumped the bikes in a clump of lantana then in we went. The door was unlocked and we crept in.

We ran amok. Hid the cane behind the curtains (took the teacher six months to find it) then this is when things started getting kind of weird (I still have dreams of this classroom). Luke mucked about on the typewriter while I decided to go into the other classroom and felt as if I just walked into a classroom filled with unseen kids who wanted me to leave... Many years later I had the same feeling as I walked into a deserted office... I walked out backwards and Luke and I sort of hurried out.

We walked about then grew bored then as we were about to leave, we both just happened to turn and there we saw her-the old nun. She had a strange Habit on, not the one the nuns wore but something from another time, her Habit was like the Flying Nun... Freaked us out. I can still see her-wearing glasses, angry expression etched on her wrinkled old skin, her eyes were burning with intensity... That was it, that did it for Luke and I as we both bolted for our bikes, literally screaming.

We told the lads that Monday. The story went around the school about us seeing a ghost. It was a few weeks later I happened to find these old photos that were on display. I damned near shat myself when I saw her. I bolted, found Luke and the lads and showed them that photo. It was her alright, the Cranky Old Nun as we called her.

Postscript: Just a few years ago I found a website on YouTube that was celebrating my old school's 100th birthday. I knew a few faces and smiled then my smile froze when I saw The Cranky Old Nun on a picnic... Oh boy she looked even more Crankier in the photo than she did when I saw her.

Other hauntings by AussieRedDog

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, AussieRedDog, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

blosomes (10 stories) (62 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-08-15)
valkricry
[at] Just a few facts that may help you 'date' your nun.
I nearly have coffee fountaining out of my nose reading this in a quiet café! LOL

Very interesting information... And YES, I do remember having a "Sister Cranky" too in my primary school. Brings back lots of good and bad memories...

Ryujin (AussieRedDog, sorry for random comments)
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+4
2 years ago (2022-08-12)
Just a few facts that may help you 'date' your nun. (Okay, that reads awfully odd.) The headpiece you describe is called a cornette, worn by the Daughters of Charity until 1965. They were founded in 1633, but did not arrive in Australia until 1926. (Personally I think that it's some kind of rule, that ALL Catholic schools have at least one cranky old nun that scares kids.) 😆
blosomes (10 stories) (62 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-08-11)
AussieRedDog
Looking back to the story again and reading the comments.
A person's thought and feeling is said can last up until nearly 400 years. Not scientifically proven, but in some old castle sites in Japan, it is kind of like a very old legend, for more then 100 years people were claiming to see armored people wondering. Since those periods where people wore armor were like nearly more then 400 years dating from the 2020's, the sightings of that is getting less.

What I want to say where sometimes a person's thought is so strong that it will be last until their after life, and only time can cure their feelings sometimes, even if they are happy or angry or sad.

To answering Rajine' s question, I am not sure but maybe she is always around doing her routine. Something might have happened to make her linger around after 100 years. Since weekends are probably quiet (Correct me if I am wrong), she might have been there doing her everyday work. Or, since she is a nun, maybe she is just there to do her weekend duty and found that there were kids around and so she was angry.

Just my guess Sir.

Ryujin
AussieRedDog (24 stories) (81 posts)
+2
2 years ago (2022-08-11)
Rajine, good question-I don't recall anything strange happening during the week as school would be packed with screaming kids and I am going back nearly forty years ago, too.
Rajine (14 stories) (734 posts)
+1
2 years ago (2022-08-09)
Hi AussieRedDog

She must be a really dedicated person to still be around a hundred years later, the things that you and your friend experienced in the school happened during the weekend when no one was around and everything was quiet, has this sort of thing happened after that first time, say when the school was in full attendance?
blosomes (10 stories) (62 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-08-08)
Ah...seeing people from the past...
Not me but back in Brazil my father used to see old solders marching in an evening beach nearby and always would say that my grandpa was there too 😕 Really? But now, I kind of want to believe in that. 😐

Ryujin

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: