You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Candle

Real Ghost Stories

The Candle

 

In modern houses, bathrooms are installed inside the house but in my early years, our old house has a separate bathroom located outside near the dirty kitchen. My dad loves to do half baths after a days' work and when a certain phenomenon happened, he stopped doing his routine completely and even worked double shifts just to install a bathroom inside the house.

That night, mom was preparing dinner, I was helping her and my brother was with us playing around. My dad came out of the room with a towel around his neck ready for a bath.

(In his point of view)

There wasn't anything misplaced as he cleaned himself and went along with soap and etc. He described his surrounding as dimmed outside since the only light he had was from the bulb above his head and some shed of light coming from the kitchen where he hears us talking. Other than our voices, he could also hear the chirping of the insects and the croaking of the frogs. When suddenly, the light went off and everything went completely dark. My dad knew it was a power interruption and he's not doing so well if he could only see pitch black (He could see spirits so he's a bit of a scaredy cat). What alarmed him was the total silence from inside the house, in his experience we would gasp out loud or shout out of shock.

So he called out to mom to get him a light. And a short while, he sees light from outside and a hand inched in from the upper part of the bathroom's door. He calmed down seeing a candle perched on a small cup as we usually do during blackouts. He thanked mom and he heard her stepping away.

He was about to continue doing his bath when another shed of light approached him, "Dear, here's a candle-... How do you have light there?" He heard mom said.

In his confusion he confronted mom angrily and insisted it was she who handed him the candle. Mom was as completely confused as he was. Then suddenly, the enlightenment dawn to them that they raced inside the house and closed the door behind them. In the morning, the candle perched on the cup was still there. Mom decided to bury it and offered a prayer to whoever gave it to my dad.

Other hauntings by Seo_scarlet02

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Philippines

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Seo_scarlet02, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

Tweed (35 stories) (2497 posts)
+4
3 months ago (2024-01-16)
Hi Seo, I have an amusing theory. Some believe ghosts can use energy from the physical realm to interact within it. Perhaps this ghost utilised your home's electricity for some reason and accidentally blacked it out. The candle being a peace offering and way of apology.

Thanks for sharing. One of the first narratives I read on here was about a floating candle. Fire is energy so they're probably easy to lift or conjure. Fascinating stuff.
Rajine (14 stories) (776 posts)
+4
3 months ago (2024-01-15)
Perhaps it was just a passing spirit, trying to be helpful, although it doesn't seem to be a bad entity, it's still unnerving all the same.

Back in the day lots of people built their bathrooms away from the house, heard a fair share of creepy incidents from people who had to use it at night as well.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+1
3 months ago (2024-01-15)
Spooderman.

"spirits are beings who have not been able to pass on to the afterlife due to not having a proper funeral or by committing suicide."

Actually, there are many reasons why spirits stick around, it could be because the person died suddenly and didn't have time to realize their death, or in the case of people that have some unfinished business or an attachment holding them into this side of the veil, regardless if they had a "proper funeral" or not.
And let's not forget the fact that our departed loved ones do not hesitate to lend us a hand when in need.

In this particular case, and in my opinion, the spirit could have been a spirit guide, specially since the OP has mention that their father "could see spirits so he's a bit of a scaredy cat".

It is not uncommon to read stories about people sensitive to the paranormal world not wanting anything to do with it, but unable to shut it down.

I'm not denying the possibility of an angel handing the candle to Seo's father though, in my opinion, it could have been a spirit not of angelical nature.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
 
3 months ago (2024-01-15)
RCRuskin.

Not so much the "minimum character limit"...but the "I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion."

But in case Seo_scarlet02 decides to participate in the discussion, I would like to know if there was anything special about the candle or if it looked like any other candle? In other words, if the helpful spirit 'borrowed' one candle from the ones the family kept, or if it 'materialized' from the ethereal world.

Also, if having an indoor bathroom helped the OP's father to stop seeing spirits.

Seo_scarlet, welcome to YGS and thanks for sharing this interesting experience with us.
Spooderman (1 stories) (12 posts)
+4
3 months ago (2024-01-15)
According to my knowledge spirits are beings who have not been able to pass on to the afterlife due to not having a proper funeral or by committing suicide. So they're basically beings who may show signs of presence, however they can't really do anything to other living human beings. That's why I think it may have been an angel since there have been plenty of encounters such as these. It was really nice hearing your story, especially considering the fact that angels usually accompany those houses which worship God and stay in the right path. ❤️
RCRuskin (9 stories) (817 posts)
+3
3 months ago (2024-01-15)
I too think it was some helpful, benevolent spirit.

The wonderful minimum character limit again, Lady Glow?
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+1
3 months ago (2024-01-15)
Some one being helpful.
Thanks for sharing.

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: