You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Lady of the Lake

Real Ghost Stories

Lady of the Lake

 

My maternal grandfather grew up in a remote area of Nova Scotia, Canada in the 1930s. His mother passed away of a severe ear infection when he was quite young. In the area they lived in, there were no real doctors to prescribe antibiotics, which quite possibly could have saved her life. My grandfather's father remarried a woman whom I met as a teenager when she was in her late 90s.

The story I am about to relay has been in my family since I can remember. As a little boy of about 6 or 7, my grandfather didn't really have much supervision. As they weren't the wealthiest of folks, my grandfather's father spent many hours away from the house as a ferry captain. I no longer remember the name of the boat but I believe it is actually pictured on the Canadian dime.

My grandfather and his buddies one day decided to take a row boat out onto the nearby lake. They rowed to the middle of the lake and were messing around like little kids do when suddenly they dropped an oar into the lake. They paddled their hands to reach it. My grandfather reached for the oar and the boat started to tip. Much to all their surprise, a female hand rose out of the water and handed my grandfather back the oar! All the little boys sat quietly for a few minutes in shock. They scanned the water's surface to see if someone had possibly gone for a swim. There was no one in the water coming up for air. There were no other boats at the lake either. They rowed back to shore as quickly as they could and each ran home. My grandfather relayed the story to his step-mother who stared at him warily. In later years she confessed that she believed him to be telling the truth.

Not too long after my grandfather and his friends were back at the lake. They were standing on a bridge looking into the water when they could see stones being thrown into the water. The stones were coming from above them and seem to appear as if they were falling from the sky. My grandfather looked down into the water and there, just below the surface, was the image of a woman looking up at him. I don't have anymore details of what this woman looked like. It has long been believed in my family that the woman that handed him the oar and the woman under the water, were his mother looking out for him still from the other side.

On that same trip where I met my great-step-grandmother as a teenager, I was taken to the area where my grandfather grew up. It was a remote, wild, and beautiful area. I saw the lake where all this occurred. My grandfather passed away from cancer in the early 1970s. I was only 4 years old. I do not have much by way of personal memories of him but this one story of him as a brave little boy who had lost him Mom will stay with me for the rest of my life. Thanks for reading.

Other hauntings by Jennifer40

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Jennifer40, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

KimCan (1 stories) (19 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-07)
Great story and well written, too. I could almost see it happening as I read.

So tragic for a young mother to die of an ear infection. 😢 I think the 1930s would have been too early to get antibiotics anywhere though, since it didn't go into mass production until the 40s. Hard to imagine life before penicillin!
nightangel (1 stories) (18 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-18)
The hand that came out of the water could possibly be a water spirite... Thank you for a beautiful story, I really enjoyed reading this account.
3nj0y (19 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-25)
Come to think of it, The "hand" could have been that of an Angel; and it very well may have saved your grandpa's as well as his playmate's lives... The boat was going to tip over and dump all of it's passengers into the frigid depths of the lake. 😁 😉...
Pentacle5 (7 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-15)
Wow, how beautiful! I don't know if it's a ghost or not, but it sure reminds me of selkies (seal women) and water nymphs (mermaids), lol.
Jennifer40 (20 stories) (202 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-27)
Bellissima, you just brought back memories of my cousins who live in Canada. "Take off, eh?" 😉 My family is originally from Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and Quebec. --Lots of history there.

Jennifer ❤
Jennifer40 (20 stories) (202 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-27)
Hi Emma,
That is a very interesting theory. When I read your response it jarred my memory a bit. This lake was indeed near the ocean. The lake may actually have been an inlet. Who knows? My grandfather was very young and dealing with a tremendous loss. This story has also been passed down through a couple of generations now, too. Thanks for your input.

Jennifer ❤
Emma2008 (4 stories) (110 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-25)
Perhaps the lady's hand was nothing more than a large seal/elephant seal/other large aquatic animal with hand-like flippers. If the lake was near the ocean, it's likely it found it's way into the lake and was curious of the row boat and paddle that had gone overboard. Also, looking into the water, and animal like that can give the distorted appearance of a human figure, in this case a lady. Perhaps I'm wrong. Nice story anyway.
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-25)
Hi Jennifer. I'm from Ontario, eh. Just down south of Toronto. It's a pretty nice area, I like it. We used to live way up Kingston way, land of a thousand lakes. I think I saw just about all of them!
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-25)
Hello Jennifer. I'm glad you shared another great story with us(always like to read them) 😁.I believe there is a story that sailers have. When a sailer goes out to sea there isn't anything more dangerous. Sailers always believe there is something that keeps them safe. There is somebody who has an eye on sailors. Something like a life jacket to sailors. Maybe it was her. Maybe she was keeping an eye on your great grandfather. But this is a myth. But hey, ghost were to. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-24)
Hello Jennifer,
What a fantastic story. I can imagine that after these boys thought they saw a hand reach out of the water holding onto their lost oar, that they took off as if there was a motor on their watercraft.
I wonder who it was throwing the stones into the water?
Thank you.
Jennifer40 (20 stories) (202 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-23)
Bellissima, I thought Rhodes wrote the info on the Bluenose and just saw that it was really you so I want to thank you for that info. I couldn't remember what it was for the life of me! Where in Canada are you?

Jennifer ❤
Jennifer40 (20 stories) (202 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-23)
Hi Tammy,
Yes, Happy Birthday to us! 😁 Behave our age? That's no fun! I hope this is your best year yet.

Thanks for the info on the Bluenose. I had no idea.

Jennifer ❤
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-23)
Hi Jennifer. As a fellow Canuck, the tall ship on the dime is the Bluenose, the most famous tall ship in Canadian history. It spent its first year as strictly a fishing ship but went on to defeat every tall ship in racing for 17 years straight, even when on its last legs it pulled one last win out of its hat, so to speak, and shocked everyone with a win. You should be proud to have family associated with it. This is a great story and I really enjoyed it. Was it his Mom? Maybe. Maybe she became one of the fabled mermaids in order to be able to keep an eye on her beloved son. You family has strong ties to the area and the sea, stranger things have happened.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-23)
In that case, happy birthday to both of us! 😊 ❤.

I suppose I will have to behave my age now? 😆.
Jennifer40 (20 stories) (202 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-23)
Thanks Rhodes. I really believe that family members do watch over us from the other side. I was reading your profile and I couldn't help but notice that your birthday is only two weeks after mine, and we were born in the same year. You'll be turning the big 4-0 this year too. 😊 Happy (early) Birthday!

Jennifer ❤
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-23)
Welcome back with another very interesting story Jennifer! I really enjoyed reading it and especially the revelation at the end that it's believed to have been your grandfather's mother. I think it's wonderful to know that our loved ones who depart from this world can actually see us, observe our lives and protect us when in need.It's wonderful to know that they still exist somewhere and that they are allowed to visit sometimes.

Thank you,

Tammy ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: