You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Apartment Man

Real Ghost Stories

The Apartment Man

 

Up until this past summer, my boyfriend has lived in an apartment in Allentown, PA. We started to date over two years ago, recently after he had moved in. I was a second semester sophomore at a college that was an hour away. My roommate and I did not get along, and we were going through an especially hard time. I needed to get away from her, so my boyfriend allowed me to come and spend the weekend at his apartment.

That Saturday he had to work a 10 hour shift, so I brought all my homework, a good book, and some movies to keep me busy until he returned home at night. Before this I had not spent much time at his apartment so I was not worried about spending the day there by myself.

I had got there that Friday night and everything was fine. We had discussed what we were going to do the next day. Since he would be leaving for work early the next morning, he told me that he would not wake me up. He told me that if I get bored and wanted to go anywhere that he would lock the door as he left and slip the key for me through the mail slot. The apartment complex that he lived in was not in the safest area in town, so he kept the door locked at all times, especially when I was there.

The next morning came, and since I am such a light sleeper, I woke up before he left. I had said goodbye to him and witnessed him locking the door and slipping me the key through the mail slot. This was the only key he had to get into the apartment, so he was officially locked out at that point. I was still really tired so I decided to go back to bed for a few more hours before I got up to get some of my work done. I do not recall how long it was after I had dozed off that I was awakened by a noise.

In my tired state, I did not think much of it and closed my eyes. I then heard what sounded like walking through the apartment. I had opened my eyes just in time to see a person peaking in at me and walked right back out. Since I had been sleeping, my eyes did not adjust quick enough to see clearly who it was. The figure looked like my boyfriend, so I figured he had forgot something in the apartment and peaked in to make sure I was ok. I then heard him walk down the stairs and out the door.

After that, I decided to get up for the day, still thinking that what had just happened was my boyfriend. I got dressed, cleaned and watched some movies to try to keep myself occupied. For some reason, I just did not feel right. I felt really tired and constantly had the feeling of butterflies in my stomach. I had no idea why I felt this way, so I convinced myself that it was just the stresses of school hitting me.

Around lunch time I decided to go down the street to grab something to eat. It was at this moment, when I walked down the stairs and saw the keys on the ground, that I watched my boyfriend put through the mail slot, that I knew the person who peaked in on me was not my boyfriend. There was no way that he could have gotten back in after I watched him leave the first time. I started to get really scared. A ghost was not the first thought that ran through my head, I thought it might have been the management of the apartment building (who do have keys to get in) coming in to check on something. All day I had convinced myself that that was what it was.

The feelings of anxiousness when I got back into the apartment after lunch made me feel really sick. I laid down on the couch and watched some television to calm my nerves, but this feeling never went away. It was not until my boyfriend returned home that I finally felt a sense of calm and peace. I had told him what had happened. I first asked to make sure that it was definitely not him. He assured me that after he had left that morning that he never came back until after work. He also told me that if it had been the management they would have had to notify him first by calling, so it was not them.

We stopped talking about it for a while. It was not until after dinner that he told me that his two friends, who had spent the night a few times out in the living room, had experienced a figure of a man walking in the hallway. This of course freaked me out, but I refused to believe that he was telling the truth and was just trying to scare me.

After that day, I always got a sense of anxiousness when I hung out in his apartment, especially when I was alone. More than once I had seen a bright yellowish white light zoom passed the hall entrance from the living room heading towards the front door. I also, more than once, had objects move to a different place that I had put them when I would go to a different room. I always tried to convince myself that it was my imagination.

One day my boyfriend left me alone in the apartment to go over to his neighbor's apartment to drop something off. I was not too fond of his neighbor so I had to pick the lesser of two evils, so I decided to stay in the apartment by myself. I didn't mind being alone during the day but once it started to get dark out I did not want to be alone in that apartment. He was gone for a longer amount of time than I had thought he would be. I had gone into the kitchen to get something to drink when I heard what I thought was my boyfriend coming up the stairs. I did not hear the front door open but I figured that was because I was rummaging through the fridge trying to find a bottle of juice. I walked out into the living starting to talk to him, but I noticed he was not there. I then checked the bedroom and the bathroom, but he was still no where to be found. I went over to the window to look outside and I saw him just leaving his neighbors house. I knew for a fact that he could not have walked upstairs and back down again (without me hearing the door open and close), walk across the street and to his neighbor's apartment between the time that I heard the sound of the steps and the time I got over to the window.

This is when I officially got really freaked out. I ran down the stairs and out the door. It took a good three hours for him to convince me to go back inside and that everything was ok. I refused from that point on to be left alone in that apartment at any time of the day.

I still have not been able to explain what I heard that day or the different experiences I had the entire time he lived there. The day I helped him move out of his apartment, was the first time since the first experience I had, that I felt comfortable there. The sense of relief that filled my body when we loaded the last box into the van this summer was so overwhelming, that I almost cried. I have never experienced a place giving me that much of a negative feeling before, and never had I ever experienced anything quite like that.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Pennsylvania

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, warmoctobernights, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

OMGITIS (7 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-22)
Thats Scary!:O. I Find This So Weird Whenever I Talk To Someone They Always Get Distracted Out Of Something. I Tell Them Whats Up And They Will Just Laugh Their Head Of Like Someone Told Them A Really Good Joke. I Ask A Religios Man Why They Laugh. Apparently They See My Childhood And The Funny Things That I Done. I Said To Him Why This Doesn't Happen To Me. He Said Back Because He Said He Doesn't Know Why. All He Said That I Was Lucky That I Don't See These Things. So I Just Said Ok. The Next Day Me, My Boyfriend, My Boyfriends Sister And My Brother Were At The Hotel From A Concert. My Boyfriends Sister Went With Her Child Minder Doing Something. Once We Came Back The Child Minder Said That Jenny (Boyfriends Sister) Will Always Point At Something And Cry. Once We Were Sleeping There Was A T.V In The Room. Around 1:20am The T.V Swiched On And Fizz. Then I'll Look Around The Room And See Jenny Staring At The Screen. I Got Out Of Bed Swiched Off The T.V And Carried Her Into My Bed With My Bofriend. She Slept In The Middle. When My Brother Woke Up He Could She Jenny Fast Asleep Which Was A Good Thing. So He Dozed Off Right After. When I And My Boyfriend Woke Up One Minuite After My Brother Woke Up We Could See Jenny Making A Evil Face At Us. Soon Later We Took Care Of Her And Never Let Her Get Out Of Our Sight Again! Once Again She Has Many Paranormal Activitys. Love Her X ❤
warmoctobernights (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-16)
When his two friends saw it, they were together out in the living room. They weren't alone. My boyfriend never saw it but he said he could definitely feel it. I do not know the history of the apartment. All I do know is that area is very unsafe. In one weeks time, there were probably 3 shootings that occurred in his apartment complex. I am very happy he is no longer there.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-13)
Hello, warmoctobernights.
Welcome to the site.
I am wondering something first. In all the times that this alleged ghost was sighted, (by your boyfriends two friends and yourself) was EVERY eye witness alone? Or did anyone see him while in the presence of someone else?
Thank you.
littlelaura33 (28 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-11)
That would of freaked me out to WARMOCTOBERNIGHTS. Scary when you wake up knowing your boyfriend wasn't there but a ghost or a figure was. I really felt your fear when I heard that story.
God Bless you always ❤ 😲 😨
GhostGal (6 stories) (104 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-10)
oh gosh... If I woke up seeing a man starring at me. I woulda freaked out anyway, rather it was a boyfriend or not... Stuff like that just scares me... 😐
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-10)
Thank you for sharing your experiences with us.

I would agree, it is a horrible feeling when you are having these beyond logic and explaination experinces and do not know what to do about them or how to handle them. It is extremely frightening.

I wonder about the history of the apartment or the land where the apartment was. Do you have any idea if there had been some one living there that may explain why this man had not crossed over? Something was apparently holding him there.

I am glad that you were able to rid yourself of the feelings when your boy friend moved out.

Thanks for sharing!
God Bless!
BriFischer05 (14 stories) (169 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-09)
That would shake my nerves a little too. I used to live in Montgomeryville and Horsham. PA has a lot of 'haunted areas' especially Bucks County. Good story. Take care.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-09)
Hi and thanks for your story.

From what you describe, it sounds more like whatever this energy is, doesn't mean any harm. At first I was going to say that it's more likely residual but then you claim he was watching you sleep? In that case, he knows you're there and got a little curious. Have you experienced anything else lately? Have you asked around to find out about the history of the apartment and its previous owners? Maybe if you learnt a little more about the place, it will be helpful.

Thanks for sharing.
oceaneyes (3 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-09)
That was a creepy story! I'm actually in Lancaster Pa myself used to be in Reading, and it does seem that this place has a lot of haunted places! Have you seen anything else since your boyfriend has moved out of the apartment? Hope everything goes well for you 2! 😁
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-09)
Hi Warnoctobernights. Nice name 😁.That was a scary story. I'm not surprised that you ran out of the apartment. I think there used to be somone living in that apartment who comes there once in a while. For sure, not a living person. It is scary but there was nothing you should have been affraid of. These things happen but they do not do any harm. To bad the spirit couldn't cross over. Thank you for sharring your story with us. I hope to hear from you soon and take care

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: