You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Foul Smelling Thing

Real Ghost Stories

Foul Smelling Thing

 

It was Easter of 2006 and I went to Calgary Canada to visit my parents and little brother. I used to live in Calgary, but moved to Los Angeles with my girlfriend when I turned 19. A month before my girlfriend and I drove up to Calgary for the Easter weekend, my parents and brother moved to a new place, a little closer to the city center. This is an older area of the city, not my favorite part of town, but it's a little more affordable I guess.

I remember every weekend talking to my brother, Chris, and he would always say that he hated the vibe he would get every time he would come home from school and had to be home alone. He described a few of the events that take place, like lights turning off and on, and the cat hissing at what appeared to be nothing.

Well, he was right... The house was a little messed up. The minute my girlfriend and I walked in the door, we felt very uneasy. It felt like we were walking into a very angry environment.

Just before dinner we were all sitting in the family room, enjoying some drinks and catching up on everything, when I noticed the cat pacing back and forth, stopping occasionally to look at the basement door that was left open about an inch or so. After a while the cat got a little closer to the door and started hissing and growling, hackles standing straight up. Chris grabbed the cat and brought it into the family room with us. The cat sat on his lap and kept his eye on the basement door.

I think a half hour passed when we heard a loud SLAM! The cat booked it out of the room and upstairs. I whipped around and looked towards where the sound had come from and noticed that the basement door was closed.

Chris pointed at the door and looked at me and said "See? I told you this place was F***** up!" Then I remembered that Chris spends a lot of his time home alone... This would definitely be pretty spooky if it was an everyday thing.

The events that followed later that night were also quite eventful. My girlfriend and I were exhausted from our drive so we decided to go to bed. I woke up around 2:30am and noticed Geri (My girlfriend) wasn't in bed. I got up to use the bathroom where I found Geri, with her face in the toilet bowl. I asked her if she was alright. She replied "Yes" then asked me if I "Could smell that..."

Confused, I asked her what she was talking about.

She said "That rotten smell. It's like... Rotting meat or garbage or something..."

I told her I didn't smell anything, and I waited with her until she was able to go back to bed.

After we crawled back into bed we heard the cat scurry up the stairs, followed by a prolonged creaking sound. Geri and I both looked at each other for a moment, and then we heard a loud SLAM! We could hear footsteps on the main floor, and I began to smell the faint odor of rotting meat. Geri could also smell it. The footsteps made their way up the stairs and the smell got worse.

I remember looking over at Geri and she had vomited on the comforter. When the footsteps reached the top of the stairs the "thing" began to pass by our room. Geri claims she saw a large black figure pass by... I didn't see anything.

When the "thing" got to the end of the hall we heard Chris yell "Oh Hell no! I'm getting so F***ing sick and tired of this S***!"

Of course, the entire house was awake and everyone rushed to Chris's room. He was out of bed, he looked very disoriented and as pale as could be. It was at this point everyone in the house began feeling uncomfortable. Then there was a scraping sound that made its way back down the hall, down the stairs, and into the basement... Followed by yet another slam of the door.

The family agreed we would go to a motel for the night. Chris looked around for the cat for about 20 minutes while everyone got dressed and ready to go and couldn't find him. Dad told him he'll be fine until morning. So we all got in the van and left... When we returned in the morning the house was filled with a disgusting odor...

We packed up as fast as we could and loaded everything into a Uhaul. My family came back down to Cali with us, they lived with us for about a month until they found a little house on the beach. My brother is living with Geri and I...and yes we found the cat, he's here safe and sound... For now, my rotweiler Harley doesn't care for him too much.

Other hauntings by metalhed16

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, metalhed16, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

metalhed16 (14 stories) (119 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2008-10-07)
I don't get discovery channel so I wouldn't know. I have like, 2 channels on my TV.
SnailBug (61 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-01)
Weird...it sounds SO similar to a TV show on the Discovery channel called "A Haunting". 😕
lilblackpom (13 stories) (218 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-04)
Omg! This was the scariest occurrence I heard on this site! I can't believe this happened! I'd agree with your brother's words! But Holy Crap is all I am saying for now... And I am so glad you guys and the cat are okay. A rotty around will make you all feel safe, even the cat! Take care 😉
metalhed16 (14 stories) (119 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-09-01)
lol thanks for the comment Adventure_Ms_Aqua. Yeah thank god we moved back to my home town lol... Our house is completely free of ghosts... I hope.

And The cat says hello. 😜
Adventure_Ms_Aqua (10 stories) (71 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-01)
Gosh... That's why they invented colonge buddy! 😠 Dude! That ghost has GOT to learn how to practice hygene!

Anyways, loved the story! It shows absolute genuine stuff. 😁 Chris had a nice choice of words by the way... Lol!

Good luck with the problem even though I'm commenting so late. You might not even read this... Anyways, tell your cat I said hi. 😜
jwright (4 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-27)
That was nicely written. I never really get scared but this story scared me. I don't think I would've lasted 3 months, you're brave.
Joyful (3 stories) (4 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-17)
Wow! Those are some weird experiences! I'm in Calgary and wonder what neighborhood this is? I've had friends have a wicked haunting in a dowtown neighborhood that wasn't just confined to their house. Wondering if it's the same place.
jeepgrl16 (12 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-29)
i love the way chris yells out cuss words its funny that lights up the story for me si nice every time I read a ghost story I get scared you are awsome to be able to have ghost storys to tell 😊 😊 😊
TheUnknown (1 stories) (192 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-24)
Crap,this 'thing must be a zombie. I mean a spiritual zombie, you know, spirits that emit a foul odor that smells like rotten meat, which is rotten human meat. For this, you must put a sign saying 'Warning:Foul Smelly Thing inside' outside that house.
cupcake10132 (4 stories) (193 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-12)
Woah! Scary on what you believe Metalhead16! I read your reply to whitebuffalow, and my that sounds scary! Maybe, check the floorboards in the entire house? Plus, ask Chris what he was talking about. My the odor I imganined nearly made me sick. Thanks for the scare! =3
muahh (53 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-03)
I can't/don't want to imagine how bad the smell is...

This is a great story... And I have to agree with you and white buffalo... I have read a lot of well... Surreal stories here... It's refreshing to finally read something not out of a movie for once 😕

Thanks for sharing! Keep safe!
Marg (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-17)
Hi,medalhed16
Yes,I know some other movies for your horror movie list. Amittyville Horror,Poltergeist,Misery,The Fog and Black Water. Enjoy!😨😊
Tricloid (2 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-17)
You should check out Leap Castle on wikipedia, it has an elemental the reeks of sickly sweet rotting decaying flesh, its supposed to be a primitive energy binding itself to a certain area, the castle also has an oubliette which had loads of bodies in, and strangely a watch from the 1940s...
metalhed16 (14 stories) (119 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-04-16)
In response to Whitebuffalo:

Thanks for the feedback! I agree with you 100%...a lot of stories I have read on here seem a bit odd in the sense that someone ignores the fact that something is watching them and fall right back to sleep.

I have tried to find out some information about the home but could find nothing. Only that the house was built some time before the second world war.

However...Several months ago I remember my dad calling me and he said there was a thing on the news about a house just down the street from his. A family was doing renovations on their house and when they lifted up the floor boards they found an infant child wrapped up in old newspapers that dated back to the times of the second world war. Perhaps there was a murderer on the loose or something, who knows right. But like you said, some things are better off not knowing.
metalhed16 (14 stories) (119 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-04-16)
In response to Marg:

Thanks for the comment Marg!

I haven't seen very many Horror movies. Mainly because they don't scare me. But I'm going to start a list of horror movies to rent and Haunted will be the first to see. If you have any other horror movies you would recommend please let me know! 😆
metalhed16 (14 stories) (119 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-04-16)
In response to Paulito67:

I said hello to my cat for you... He says meow. He didn't have much else to say...
metalhed16 (14 stories) (119 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-15)
This is a reply to many People who were wondering what happened when the ghost went into my brothers room.

My brother said that he could smell something and when he sat up he saw the entity get closer and closer to him.

I think I might make an update and make a few more details about what happened.

Thanks for your comments by the way guys!
lovindaparanormal (1 stories) (14 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-14)
wow.I seem to attract spirits sometimes and I usually smell them before I "feel" them in the room. Sometimes cigarette smoke, nice perfume, and even motor oil. I'm glad your family moved closer to you. Even if the entity scared you and your poor little brother, it did cause something positive too. I don't know why, but I keep getting this thing was a male spirit and it really wanted to get your brother. Seems like "he" was frustrated and needed to tell someone. Probably thought your brother was someone who used to live with him there.
Martin (602 posts) mod
+1
16 years ago (2008-04-14)
Here's my interpretation: if a ghost or an entity is a low level one, meaning low vibrational state (full of heavy emotions such as hatred and anger, closer to the physical plane of existence), our consciousness may perceive this presence subconsciously but our brain interprets it with its collection of sensory memories and associate it with things that bring us "down", like ugliness, darkness, coldness, scary sounds and voices and revolting odors. Maybe the entity isn't really producing these odors, but its particular personality makes human perceive it that way.

Just a thought.
Bobshailer (8 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-14)
Hmm, interesting experience. I experienced that same faint spell of rotting flesh when I was a teenager. I used to think it was after-smell of my Dad's dodgy cologne. It seemed to be around when we were going through hard times

I like to study these things from a logical or scientific perspective, with the dark shadows and cold spots you can explain them in terms of the entity drawing energy from the environment. But the foul smell doesn't seem to make the same kind of sense - I have no idea where it comes from or what causes it. But it definitely seems to happen.
Astral184 (1 stories) (53 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-14)
Good story about 'odors' I went to Phoenix several years ago, where The Blessed Mother was appearing, and giving us messages through an elderly lady. During the session, the 'distinct' fragrance of Roses was perceived by many people, I being fortunate to have 'whiffed' it; it was lovely, like no perfurme, bath gel or what have could compared. Now, by the same token, I am sure something 'evil' would exude a nasty odor! (I also saw the Haunted) and the smell of roses was there after the 'blessing'
My best to your family.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-13)
This is what I have been waiting for. Thank you, metalhed16 for sharing this obviously very TRUE ghost story with this site. And welcome to you.
I have to admit that I smiled and gave off a short laugh when I read about Chris' response to the being entering his room. To be honest with you, THAT is what convinced me that you are totally on the level with this story.
I can not tell you the number of times that I only questioned a story based on the characters responses in the face of such encounters. I truly have an extremely hard time believing that someone can roll over, ignore the creeping of the skin on their backs and simply drop off to sleep.
As you ran out of there so quickly, I would assume that there is not a need for you all to figure out who this visitor was, why it was there, or what it wanted. I would also assume that you are in no need of finding out the history of the home or land.
Let's face it. Some encounters are better left with a lot of questions still unanswered.
Thank you.
Marg (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-13)
Usually,when there is a strange, foul smell present,it's usually something not good. It be a bad spirit. I saw the movie, HAUNTED and that was based on a true story. There was terrible smells in the closet in that movie. Thought I should mention this. I liked this story and thanks for posting it.😊
Geno56 (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-11)
If true, that's one scary a-- story! I'd would have been out of there sooooo fast! That doesn't sound like an ordinary haunting. More like a poltergeist.
key2theafterlife (24 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-11)
ok that was like effing scary! 😨 😨 😨 hope you have no more demonic encounters!
Paulito67 (8 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-11)
That must of been terrifying for chris. Say hi to your cat for me please. I love cats.
Heres my e-mail please e-mail me Paulito_985 [at] hotmail.com 😁 😁 😁
Pixiemel (20 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-11)
Very nice story! I feel sorry for your girlfriend, poor girl! Really I agree with Ghostgal, what happened in your brothers room when he shouted? Thank you for sharing!
GhostGal (6 stories) (104 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-10)
what did you (I think) brother mean by 'he was getting so tired of this' or somethin like that?
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-09)
Welcome to the site!

Wow, and OMG! That must have been terrifying, especially for Chris, as you said spending so much time alone there with that thing! It is certainly bad enough to have the noises and seeing the shadows and such, but then to accompany it with a rotting smell, that is just taking it that much higher! Whew!

I am glad for your families sake they left there. I would have been curious as to the history of the house though. Who knows what happened there?

Keep us posted!

God Bless!
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-09)
Good story you have written. Not sure how your friend put up with it. All the slamming would get to me. I lived in a haunted trailer, but what ever was there didn't scare my children and I out our skins on the inside the trailer at least. You can read it at "Haunted trailer in Michigan".

Well written thanks for sharing this story with us.

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: