You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Ghost of a Dog

Real Ghost Stories

Ghost of a Dog

 

About 2 months before I was born, my parents got a puppy. He was a black lab named bear. When I was born, Bear and I connected immediately. He would always lay beside my crib at night, and sit by the tub when my parents would bathe me. Once I started crawling, Bear would be right on my heels, making sure I wouldn't get hurt.

As I grew up, Bear became my best friend. I didn't have any friends growing up because I was a Christian. I would get beat up every day pretty much and when I came home Bear was there at the door wagging his tail. We would spend every hour we could together. When my brother was born, Bear didn't want anything to do with him... He was my dog I guess, and he made that very clear.

Time went on, and as I got older, so did Bear. On my tenth birthday, bear became very sick. It was right in the middle of my party, my dad came inside with Bear in his arms and said, "Steph (my mom) can you take these kids home, and meet me and Marshall at the vet?"

I looked at Bear, very confused. He was foaming at the mouth, and breathing really weird. Of course I know now that he was having serious convulsions. Wow even thinking about it now shakes me up... sorry... anyways, I ran to the front door and put on my shoes and my dad and I got in his truck and headed to the pet hospital. I remember looking down at Bear's poor lifeless body as we drove to the vet. He was still breathing, and his eyes looked glazed over and grey.

The vet took him in right away and told my dad and I that we would have to leave him overnight so they could do some x-rays and other tests. I didn't sleep at all that night, I couldn't stop thinking about my buddy.

The next day we went to the vet first thing in the morning. The vet told my parents he had a brain tumor that was causing hemorrhaging and they were going to do their best to save him. A week past and bear wasn't making any progress. The vet said we could take him home for the day, as it would be his last. At the time I didn't know it was his last day. To be honest I thought he was better and he was home to stay. We took him out in the back yard, and I laid there with him on a blanket and talked to him. I remember saying "No matter what happens, I'll always love you..." I was so happy that I was bonding with him again.

The next day was probably one of the worst days of my life. I woke up and went to the kitchen where Bear's bed was... It was empty. I asked my mom where he was and my mom sat me down and told me my dad took him to the vet to have him put down.

I totally broke down... I was a mess, I was confused, I thought he was better. That's why he was home right!?

The next day we had a little funeral service for him in our back yard. We planted a small tree and a bunch of little flowers. Then we buried his favorite bone and spread his ashes.

I laid awake that night... crying. I was heart broken. Absolutely heart broken. I got up to get a cup of water from the kitchen. When I turned on the light I looked over to Bear's old bed... And there he was. Well his spirit anyway. He was holding his bone (the one we had buried) and wagging his tail very happily. He dropped his bone on the floor, it didn't make a sound. He nudged it forward as if to say "Play with me buddy!" I walked over to grab the bone and then he and the bone disappeared. I fell to my knees and broke down hysterically. My parents came rushing into the kitchen to help me up. They let me sleep in their room for the rest of the night.

Every once in a while, it doesn't matter which house I'm living in, I will sometimes see Bear wagging his tail... Just telling me that he's still there and that we'll be reunited again.

Writing this story was really hard for me. It's hard losing a pet... Especially when you become so close.

Until next time... God Bless

Other hauntings by metalhed16

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, metalhed16, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

smileydelwen (16 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-09)
Awh that story made me cry, reminds me of all my animals: (but at least you know, that the bond between Bear and you is still intact, so Bear will always be with you
zeetha (2 stories) (13 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-24)
This is the only one story that makes me cry. I remember my dear Renee. The days when she just left us, she often felt sitting or curling beside me. She never being felt again now, that's make me sure that she went into the light, waiting for me.

I always believe that no other greater love that your dog loves you. It always an unconditional love that a man cannot give to the others.
justin102798 (9 stories) (96 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-06)
I want to make a memory... Rip Bear

A LOYAL DOG THAT STAYED BY
HIS BEST FRIEND'S SIDE.
BriFischer05 (14 stories) (169 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-29)
My gosh what a tear jerker. I am so sorry for your loss - many of us have shared the same loss. I hope you're doing well.
bumblebee55 (1 stories) (40 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-29)
Oh my gosh, I'm SOOO sorry! I totally know how you feel-last year we had to put down my cat, Sophie beacause she had cancer... I still miss her to this day, and somtimes it still feels like she's hanging around. ❤
no_average_angel (1 stories) (16 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-22)
Omg! This is the first ghost story that made me cry! It reminds me of Misty, a rough collie I had when I was six! I miss her so much! Great story, I loved it! ❤ 😊
PurpleSharpie98795 (9 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-27)
Oh my gosh. That made me cry! I love dogs. I am so glad Bear came to say goodbye!
angel_from_heaven (20 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-21)
After reading a lot of ghost stories, I have to say that this is the very first one that made me cry! It was very touching (and I was thinking about my beloved Freddy, I miss him so much!) Bear was probably just saying that he'll always love you no matter what! 😊 ❤
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-13)
Sorry for being late on comment, this was a good but sad story. I know how hard it is to lose a pet after being so close to it. I know pets become more like family than pets to me. I believe that your dog's spirit still comes around to let you know that you don't have to worry, that no matter where you are that it will always be with you and that it loves you. He sounded like a very special dog, and which I can say my animals are very special to me. Just remember the good times ya'll had together, and be happy to know that he is somewhere where he is happy and healthy.
Thanks again for sharing your beautiful but sad story and the late comment. 😊
scaredshitless14 (2 stories) (7 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-23)
Reading this story brought back a lot of memories. I had a dog that I grew up with since I was about 5 years old. She died about 2 years ago. I still find it hard to let go. Other than that, it was a great story and I enjoyed reading it. Keep up the good stories.

Robert
Josh (1 stories) (10 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-16)
Good story... Makes me think of my dog when I was younger! It sounds like we had the exact same relationship and yeah, I went through exactly what you did! Thought I would leave a message just saying that...
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-11)
Nice story Marshall. Always happy to read them. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
seesomeghosts (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-02)
that was such a sweet story! I'm sure Bear is making sure you're ok and giving you a little, "Hi! How are you doing?"
he might be coming back though so you can do something for him that he wanted to do when he died. Just ask him if he wants you to do anything for him next time you see him.
God Bless You ❤
Karyn (1 stories) (63 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-29)
Okay this is the first time I have been brought to tears reading a ghost story. As usual very well written but also very sad. 😭
LoveforHope0226 (5 stories) (16 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-29)
Goshness, ((word I made up,)) when I read the story, it made me cry. I had a dog named Chloe who died and I swear I can still see and hear her in my room. That was her favorite room in the whole house. That was a good story, and I know what its like to lose a pet you got really close to. But I think that if you always know hes with you, you'll see him. That was an awsome song. ❤
Smi1e (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-29)
Oh wow, when I read your story I actually cried.
I'm next to my dog right now and I don't know what I'd do if he died. It's nice to know that even after death, dogs are our best friends.
SuperHaraki (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-28)
That story made me emotional. It's so touching to know that your dog's still there, maybe telling you that he loves you as much as you love him! The bond between both of you is pretty strong, telling from this story<3

Have a nice day! ❤
pinkroses (1 stories) (33 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-28)
Thanks for this beautiful story. You are so blessed to see your buddy like this. I love dogs and had them for pets all of my life. Three years ago my dog died suddenly in my arms of a heart attack. I was heartbroken of course. We buried him near the rose bush in our yard. I would love to be able to see him sometimes. I don't agree you need to tell him to go to the light, he is your guardian angel and appears to you to let you know it. ❤
dalton1976 (1 stories) (46 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-27)
This is an really nice story. If you really love him, tell him that he can go to the light.
HeatherO (1 stories) (13 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-24)
OMG, I'm crying. Love the story. I have a friend who saw her dog walk across the floor and around the corner and disappear after she died. Thanks for sharing.
TheUnknown (1 stories) (192 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-24)
😭,it even makes me want to cry. This story is too romantic. The bond between you and your dog is strong, so your dog decides to stay with you for good. Even while I'm writing this, it makes me want to cry 😭.
na32ru (2 stories) (6 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-23)
this is one of the sad and heart killing stories I have heard, I felt every bone in my body stiffen and my heart break down, I even cryed when I read the part were you cryed and this reminds me of my kitty fuzz buzz, he would sleep with me but one night he died in his sleep on my bed so this must of been hard for you, and the part were you saw him man my heart went soft because I can see my kitty fuzzy sitting on my bed, even though I am not sleeping in the same type of bed now, but he's still there watching me, well he was 19, a very old age for a cat
Undying (6 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-23)
I know how you feel, I lost my two dalmations a year ago. I can still hear them barking when I go by my old apple tree in my back yard. 😭 you just gotta remember your last words and that's why his spirit is still there. Try and keep positive from now on. Just remember the saying "the spirit of the one you loved most is the on that will be with you forever..." 😊 hope you shareing this with people has made you feel better:)
Snags67 (10 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-22)
Metalhed,
What a touching story! I was actually tearing up thinking of my "past" pooches!
Thank you for sharing your story.

Bless You!
Kris ❤
jennykate488 (5 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-22)
i can relate to this story in many ways. I had a dog named Tippy. We got her when I was 2 and I'm now 20. She died when she was 15 years old and she was my buddy as well. Anytime I would go to a friends house, she would follow me and wait on their front porch until it was time to go home. She passed away in January 06 and I can still see her imprint in the monkey grass even after its been mowed down. It only appears when I am there. My dad and my brother have never noticed it. I still get a feeling that she is there everytime I go to my dads house. I almost cried when I read your story just thinking about my Tippy.

Thanks:)
faerielike (15 stories) (268 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-22)
That was a great story! It really plucked my heart strings. Maybe Bear was saying he'll love you always no matter what too! ❤
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-22)
Metalhed hi and thanks for sharing your memory as well as feelings for Bear with us.

I know it's difficult for you to balance between the happy memories, your love for your closest friend, one who loved you unconditionally, and your pain for his loss.

I think that Bear was also lucky to have had you and that is what he keeps coming back to say-that he's always there guarding you, loving you, waiting patiently for you to meet him on the other side.

I'm happy to know that there are, still "big boys" like you who have the guts to admit that they still love and miss their life long friend who loved them no matter what.

Tammy

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: