You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: In the Middle of Nowhere with the Boogie Men

Real Ghost Stories

In the Middle of Nowhere with the Boogie Men

 

When I was a little girl I lived in rural Southern Indiana. My family's home was in a very remote area. The land we lived on always gave off a bad vibe. Early on before we had a house built we lived in a trailer home made from two railroad trailers (where railroad workers lived while on the job). My mother and I had many encounters with the "unexplainable" there.

A rowdy group of ghosts talked loudly and played music from midnight until early in the morning next to her bed every night until we moved from there. Music would flow through the windows at all hours. This also happened after we had the new house built. All of us heard walking in the hallway several times. At first I was really scared and then once used to it, I was totally curious. We never had real proof, but it seems the railway workers didn't realize they had died and kept on as usual.

One evening I was ready for bed and went to kiss my mother goodnight. As I was leaning toward her where she was sitting, I looked up at the window behind her. There staring at me was a skeleton's face! I was completely terrified. I was paralyzed. Why would this horrible thing be where my reflection should be? Mom later told me the color drained from me and I had a sheer look of terror on my face. At the time I told her there was nothing wrong and went to bed. I couldn't tell her what had happened because I didn't have the words. Now I am afraid of windows.

Even after all these years, I have to have my windows shut and locked with dark curtains over them so I cannot see out. Especially at night. I'll stop for now, but you'll hear from me again.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Indiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, lovindaparanormal, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

moravian (1 stories) (171 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-23)
Hello, I am just curious - What sort of music these spooks listen to?
lovindaparanormal (1 stories) (14 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-16)
Thanks for all the input. I was a kid when all this and much more happaned to my family and me. There was no way the lighting in the room was to blame for this happening in the story or any of the other terrifying things that occurred during the time we lived there, but I know what you all mean. The skeleton's face was very definite and wasn't just a distorted reflection though. Thanks again for the comments and I can't wait to read more of these awesome true stories!
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-07)
OOPS! I meant lighting in a room...
😆Soory sbout that. I'm sure you knew what I meant.

SHELBY ❤ 😊
SADA_OSEGUERA (8 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-07)
lovindaparanormal I have somethig to say I have been through a lot of wicked things its either the souls follow me or I fell in the wrong place at the wrong time... But to many times. 😉i have three long stories that I experienced in the past wich is the main reason why I signed up. My stories will be out in maybe a week or two.
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-06)
hi lovindaparanormal. I agree with WB. The lightening in a roon can definitely make a difference in how you see reflections in a window. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Thanks for sharing your story.

SHELBY ❤ 😊
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-05)
I have to agree with whitebuffalo. Refelections are very deceiving according to light factors. I know I have mistaken things to be other then it was due to just that. First thing I do when something like that happens is go right back where I was and figure out what was the cause. There is always a natural explanation everytime I have done this. I always feel silly and relieved afterwards. Maybe if you had taken the time to figure out exactly what you were looking at you wouldn't be scared of windows now. Easier said than done when scared but should it happen again I hope you take the time to investigate it's cause. No sense in being freaked out until you are sure you have a reason to be freaked out. Thanks for sharing.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-05)
Well as WhiteBuffalo said, it can be explained. But we arent saying that this is true. I liked this story. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
muahh (53 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-04)
I agree with whitebuffalo... I tried it myself... It scared me for a second... I felt crazy laughing at myself hahahaha! 😆
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-04)
I was going to suggest that a dim light in an almost dark room can play the trick on you, although that's not always the case, but Whitebuffalo did a better job than me so I'll leave it at that.

I wouldn't let anything change my life if I were you, though. Try keeping the curtains drawn back and see if that happens again.

Take care and thanks for sharing your experience.
toastymarshy (3 stories) (17 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-02)
To be honest I don't like looking in windows or mirrors! But have you told your mom now? If not I'd advise you to. Anyway I guess the railway men just don't want to leave yet as they may have a good time when they were alive.
Best of luck to you! Love toastymarshy 😁
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-02)
Hmmm, Interesting, lovindaparanormal.
I believe that you had a very happy home there with your mother in the double rail-trailer (that is what we call them up here in Northern Indiana.) Music, talking loudly. It is almost as if the place was where the party always took place.
I had to do an experiment. I leaned over my husbands lazy-boy and looked into the window behind it just to see what things would look like with different lighting situations and such. As I have no clue at the lighting in THAT home at the time, I had to try a few times to get an idea of the changes.
When I have the over head light on, I can see me as I would in a mirror. A bit shaded, but still recognizably me. With the telly on only, there are mostly shadows, but I could still make out that it was just me. However, with the lamp on the end table on, all I could make out were light and dark spaces, which looked remarkably like what I would assume the skeletal makeup of my face looks like under my skin.
Just a thought on the window vision. Perhaps the lighting was such as to suggest something that was not truly there, and just a play of the light.
Thank you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: