You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Memories of a Murderer

Real Ghost Stories

Memories of a Murderer

 

As a child, growing up in Western Canada was pretty cool. I lived in Calgary Alberta, home of the Greatest Outdoor Show on Earth, The Calgary Stampede. We went every year to watch the rodeo and spend the night at the midway, and watch the amazing fireworks. I still like to go back every July to see what's new. For those who haven't been, I suggest you go. It truly is the Greatest Outdoor Show on Earth.

When I was 8 years old I remember my parents talking about moving to a house in Airdrie, A small town north of Calgary. My dad works in construction so he would always look for houses that he could fix up. It was the same thing every few years. Move to a new place, fix it up and leave. There was only one problem, every house we moved into was usually 60 - 100 years old and was creepy beyond belief.

I remember going to the house in Airdrie one night with my parents with the realtor. The neighborhood was nice. There was a school just at the end of my block so I could ride my bike to school everyday. We got out of the truck and walked around outside the house while we waited for the realtor. The lot was perfect, it was a corner lot with a huge backyard, perfect for an 8 year old. I was already imagining how much fun it was going to be. Finally the realtor showed up and we went inside. The house was a bi-level so at the front landing there was a set of 4 or 5 steps leading up to the main floor, and just to the left was a larger staircase leading to the basement. I was intrigued because I never saw something like that before.

My parents were up in the kitchen going over the pricing and whatever for the house, so I decided to go into the basement and see what my dad had to work with. It was undeveloped which was weird because the house was 54 years old at the time. You would think someone would have put some drywall up, or at least some carpet. I noticed in the corner that there were some old cans of paint and an old toolbox full of antique tools. I opened the toolbox and found an old hammer, screwdriver, and an old newspaper clipping from 1976. When I pulled the clipping out and began to read it my dad came downstairs and asked if I was ready to go. All I got to read from the headline was "Murder..." and I looked over to my dad and showed him what I found. My dad was fascinated, because he was a collector of antique tools and stuff. (Those tools still sit in his display cabinet today.) He also took the newspaper clipping, but I never saw it again.

A few weeks later we moved in. I was so excited. I was helping my mom paint my room, when I heard my dad from the basement call up to my mom. She told me to finish the wall we were working on, but I insisted that I go with her. When we got to the bottom of the basement stairs I saw my dad scrubbing the concrete floor. He looked up and told me to go upstairs and watch some cartoons, so I did. What child would pass up on the opportunity to watch cartoons? I didn't think anything of what I just saw. I figured he had spilled something and wanted my moms help. We'll get to the real reason in a bit.

After watching cartoons I went to bed. I slept on the couch in the living room because my room had just been painted. I awoke to the sound of a man's voice. It sounded like he was arguing with someone. I listened for a few minutes before calling out, "Dad are you going to be done down there soon?" I figured he was getting frustrated with something he was working on. Then suddenly the voice stopped and I called out again, "Dad? Are you..." just then my dad came out of his room which was on the other end of the house, nowhere near the basement stairs.

"What's going on?" He asked. And I just looked at him with probably the most dumbfounded look ever.

I told him what had just happened and he assured me it was the guys outside. We lived next to a party house so there were usually very loud and obnoxious teenagers out every weekend. But I knew it wasn't coming from outside. I was certain that the voice was coming from the basement, because it seemed as if it was carrying up the stairs and into the living room. But once again my dad assured me it was nothing. I fell back to sleep and nothing else happened that night.

As time went on my dad was making progress with developing the basement. When it was time to put the carpet in we noticed that things were starting to take a turn for the worse. It seemed the house became tense. Everyone was angry with everybody, which was unusual, because my family was so tight-knit and not to mention I lived in a house with strong Christian beliefs.

A few months finally passed and my dad had completed the basement. The carpet was all in, the walls were painted, and the bathroom was all done. My mom and I hung a beautiful picture on the wall that had the verse "He who believes in Me as the scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water". ~Jesus John 7:38. This verse was important to my mom so she put it up in every house. One day me and my brother were playing outside, and my mom came outside. She was very angry; I'll never forget the look on her face. She took us downstairs and showed us the mess we apparently made. There was a huge stain on the rug, a deep, deep red color, and it was still a little wet. I looked at my mom and assured her that it wasn't me. She looked at my little brother and had a nice little talk with him about how we weren't allowed to have kool-aid in the basement. He argued for a quite a while that he didn't spill anything.

I really wasn't sure what was going on, and never did until we had moved back to Calgary. I didn't know why but we had only lived in that house for about 9 months. But a few years ago (I was 20 at the time) we got together for Christmas dinner, and we were talking about the past and how cute we were when we were little, and I brought up the "kool-aid" stain on the rug. And that's when my dad cut in and told us what really happened. He mentioned the newspaper clipping I had found. He told us that a man and his wife lived in that house, and one night they got into an argument. The wife admitted to her husband that she was having an affair, and that she wanted a divorce. The man was furious and shot and killed his wife. He then took his own life.

I looked at my dad in shock, and asked him about the time I went in the basement and saw him scrubbing the floor. He told me it was an old bloodstain. I looked at him with the same dumbfounded look I gave him 12 years before. He also told us that the night after he finished scrubbing the floor, he woke up and noticed a dark figure standing in his doorway. He fell back to sleep then woke up again, only to find the shadowy figure standing directly over him.

Me and my brother were shocked. My mom cut it and told us about her experiences in the house. My mom had an old china doll that was given to her from her grandmother, that she kept on a little rocking chair in their room. She told us that sometimes she would go into the room and she would find the doll sitting right in the middle of the floor. It started happening more and more frequently and the doll even made its way up onto her pillow.

Then she told us that she had the exact same experience as my dad. She said that when she went downstairs to clean up the stain on the carpet, she realized that it wasn't juice at all. You can probably guess what it was. She called for my dad and he looked at it and I guess it was in the exact same spot on the floor as the previous stain had been. So he told my mom to clean it up and he would make arrangements for our Pastor to come by and bless the house. That night, after my mom cleaned up the mess, she noticed the black figure in the doorway, and it proceeded to come closer to her. She shot up and yelled at my dad to wake up, as soon as she did, the figure disappeared.

That was enough for my parents, so a week or two later we moved back to the city. My mom ended up leaving her favorite picture in the basement. Now I know why. I figured dad was finished with the renovations and we were off to another fixer-upper.

A little while ago, I took my fiancé to the house just to show her where we used to live. When we arrived at the house, the windows were all boarded up and there was a sign on the lawn that said "Property for sale" and it had a bunch of C/S stickers that had been ripped off. Obviously anyone who had gone in to buy the house was left with a very uneasy feeling. I was sad, not because those people were scared of the house, but because my poor dad put so much work into that basement and made a beautiful built in cabinet, and now no one is going to be able to enjoy it. And sometimes I wonder, what became of that verse that my mom left hanging on the wall... Maybe one day I'll go back and get it. That is, if the spirit didn't ruin it in some way.

Other hauntings by metalhed16

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, metalhed16, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

treehugger101 (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-22)
that is so scary but if I were you I would stay in that house its a whole exprience 😊 (and I agree with you the calgary stampede is fun) 😁
miri_chan (6 stories) (69 posts)
-1
15 years ago (2009-07-19)
mikey2;
Mice DO have minds of their own. It's a living animal lol.

Do you have any pictures of the house? It'd be nice to picture it exactly as it was.
Also, if I were you, I'd bu the house and live there:p LOL
mikey2 (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-11)
i was reading this story and my mouse started acting very bizarre flashing all over the place. Like it had a mind of its own lol. Anyway good story sad that the house is like that.
girlie (15 stories) (426 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-21)
HI, that is a very cool story. I'ts sad that the man killed the wife. But hey what can we do about it, uh.
GIRLIE 😁
TwistedWispersNeko (3 stories) (90 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-07)
That is a really good story. Its sad that such a house would still be plagued by such a cruel intention.
crmanddkp (18 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-14)
umm there's really nothing in my mind that I know how to put in word s for your story marshall! That was... Wow that's basically all I can say for that! If thatw ere to happen to my family I don't know what I would do! 😕 well at least your family wasn't hurt more of just frightened! 😐 well god bless! ❤
metalhed16 (14 stories) (119 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-06)
In response to ChrisB:

I just wrote another story about that house yesterday... Last week we went back to visit it, and it wasn't the best idea I've had... I hope it gets posted soon.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-06)
Wow Marshall that was scary. I realy enjoyed your story. I bet living in that place was very hard for your parents. I mean, they tried everything to protect you and your brother. They told lies for you to be able to fall asleep at night. But they knew the truth. I know for sure it was hard for them. Too bad that the place is closed up. Your dad did a lot of work there and I bet he to is a little sad that it came to this. But for sure he is happy that no harm came upon you all. Thanks for another great story. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
metalhed16 (14 stories) (119 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-06)
In response to Tonith:

we had no desire to even bother with those stains anymore... We just wanted to get out of there as soon as possible.

Plus it might have Pissed of the spirits even more lol
metalhed16 (14 stories) (119 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-06)
In response to BCEagles25:

lol sorry! I forget that not everyone is in construction work such as myself, lol I'll be more specific next time if need be 😆
metalhed16 (14 stories) (119 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-06)
In response to littlelaura33:

We did go back last week actually... Not the greates idea I've ever had...I'm writing the stroy as we speak. 😁
metalhed16 (14 stories) (119 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-06)
In response to Kecoughtan:

As a kid... I REALLY hated that stupid doll... Even today those china dolls creep me out lol...

but my parents figure that if was a sign from the woamn that was murdered... Maybe warning us that the angry male was going to do something to us.
metalhed16 (14 stories) (119 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-06)
In response to MFD:

lol sweet deal, what's the deal with those flames? Man they can't get their act together lately... Unfortunately I don't see any of their games cause I live in California now 😢 lol
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-05)
Creepy story. Would have been great to have the stained carpet fibers sent to a lab just to see if it was actually blood. Being the doll was a keepsake I would have packed it away. I don't think the doll is haunted but whatever was in that house was using the doll to promote fear. I personally do not like dolls they have always made me uncomfortable especially the old fashioned ones. I wouldn't have them in my house. On the other hand I own a full size ghoulish butler I bought at Halloween and that doesn't bother me at all. Sounds like the place had bad vibes because of what happened there. Would have been great had there been paranormal teams like there are now to investigate such a house.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-05)
Hello metalhed16. A very fascinating tale, although I had a bit of a problem with the doll, I enjoyed reading it. Thank for sharing your story with us. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊
BCEagles25 (38 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-04)
This is a story worthy of my favorites list! To all who don't know, google the phrase "bi-level house" on images. It really helps you picture the house, because I didn't know what a bi-level was.
muahh (53 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-04)
Wow... How brave of your parents to still choose to live there even after finding out the history of the house...

I know I won't and I'm quite positive that once my mom finds out about that, it's back to the road for us!

Great story... Thanks for sharing! 😊

❤ andrea
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-04)
That was an amazing account Metalhed16; one that goes straight to my favourite list.

What a dreadful experience to have to live in a house where so much pain and loss left their trace behind.

The image of the china doll was very disturbing especially when you described that it was approaching your mom's pillow step by step.

I think that poster was left intentionally, maybe even subconsciously by your mom to help ease the anger in that house.

I hope you do go back to see what has become of it.

Take care,

Tammy
littlelaura33 (28 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-04)
That story can be seen in so many different ways. You can take it as the murderer was annoyed with you for carpeting over the floorboards or that they idn't want to be disturbed by harmless city folk. Thankyou for sharing that with us. I think that you and your dad or a close friend should go back to that house and see what has become of your mothers beloved Bible verse. It would be interesting also to see if that blood stain was still there or if other strange things have happened whilst it has been vacant.
You never did get round to telling us why your mother left her bible verse there. You just said 'NOW I KNOW WHY'. But maybe you can tell me if you ever are at your story again.
Thankyou again for this truly amazing story, God Bless you and your parents. ❤ 😨 ❤
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-03)
Thanks for sharing another fascinating experience, metalhed16. Because of the timing, it seems that the midnight visits by the shadowy figure were clearly triggered by your family's attempts to remove the blood stain. While I may be reading too much into your account, I am assuming this shadow (and his leering and menacing behavior) is the murderer. But how do you interpret your mother's doll being conspiciously moved onto the floor and her pillow? Do you attribute that do the shadow? Do you think that it was the murdered wife trying to communicate or gain the attention of your mother?
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-02)
Wow, that s a truly amazing story. There must have been so much anger and resentment energy left in that house after the murder/suicide that it remained, and probably the individual responsible remained.

It sounds as if there was a residual type haunting with the stain re-appearance as well as an inteligent haunting with the shadow figure re0 appearing and being able to vanish when need be.

Glad your family moved when it did, it also would seem that the negative forces and energy had a very profound affect on the inhabitants of the home.

Thank you for taking the time to share this story with us!
God Bless!
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-02)
Well written story. Many people experience entities in old houses. Not just because they are old, but there is so much history behind an old house. Like the couple that died here.

The shadow people may of wonder why you were in there house. Many never go to the other side just kind of stay around, the last place they lived in, when living.

Once again a well written story.
MFD (17 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-02)
Great Story! What really made it hit the spot is that I also live in Calgary, Alberta and know of Airdrie all too well, so it really hit close to home for me (pun intended, lol...)
And you're also right that the Calgary Stampede is the Greatest Outdoor Show!
ghostluver1523 (22 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-02)
I think htis story was scary and I'm home alone so its even scarier so I leard that I should read scary stories wall I'm home alone.
Velvet (2 stories) (72 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-02)
Wow I really enjoyed this story. It was well written and you mentioned all the necessary details. I like the part were you said that you heard voices in the basement.

Thanks for sharing.
megankay (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-02)
Wow, that is a great story! It reminds me of the time that happened my best friend well it wasn't the same thing.

😉 Megan 😉
Warblaze (6 stories) (21 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-02)
Great story, I enjoyed reading it. Reminded me of an experience a friend of mine had with a doll... It liked to dance
Karyn (1 stories) (63 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-02)
Metalhead, I really liked this story. It will be going into my favorites too! I like your story telling/writing style. I grew up in a haunted house but whenever I get in the mood to write about it, the site is trying to catch up. I can't wait to read more of your stories.
poltergeist567 (5 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-02)
That's wow, a really amazing story. Definetly going into my favorites. Thank you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: