You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Second-floor Apparition

Real Ghost Stories

Second-floor Apparition

 

A few days ago (Today being Monday, the 11th, and that day being Thursday, the 8th), I had a rather queer run-in with something that I just can't seem to make sense of.

Thus, I'm hoping you helpful people might be able to provide me with some information or advice.

First, I'd like to give you a very loose background regarding me as a person. All of my life, at least as far back as I can remember. I have been sensitive to goings-on other worldly. Or completely batty. Either or, I've always heard and felt and even, in some largely unpleasant cases, smelled and tasted, entities that others do not - perhaps ghosts, demons, angels, fey, or whatever you might feel they should be called. I can't see them well, in most cases, usually the most I can perceive visually is a dense shadow, mist, silhouette, and various and sundry permutations thereof, but there is always a sort of feeling to them, an ineffable sense of empathy toward a creature that is more or less than physical. I always get this feeling when there are living things nearby, such as people or mammals, but rarely insects or plants and the like, and so it seems to me like I perceive the mind and emotions of something, but without a body attached, which would fit the profile for a ghost or something, right?

But I'm not quick to leap to the conclusion that I'm a psychic or anything like that. Maybe very empathic or sensitive, but it's not like I could read you your future or tell you (in most cases) extremely obscure facts about yourself. I can just tell how you're feeling, that you're near me, your gender, etc., all intuitively. So, dear reader, you can be the judge as to what that makes me.

I'm sorry for the length, there, but you have my gratitude for reading this far. Now, let's get down to business...

For a few weeks, here at my grandparents house, (Indianapolis, Indiana, in a relatively large, old house on the southwest side of town), my grandma and I had been hearing odd noises coming from above us at night. Now, this is naturally somewhat unnerving, considering the upper rooms of the house have been completely uninhabited, and indeed largely untouched, for 15-17 years at least. We were usually able to just pass off the creaking's, thumping's (as though something large was walking about), shuffling, and very weird instances of a series of rolling thumps almost like hoof beats, as squirrels or raccoons or something having gotten in through the damaged roof, and get to sleep.

Just to be sure, though, because those noises sounded very very heavy oftentimes, my grandpa and I went up last Wednesday during the daytime and had a thorough look around. We found no evidence of anyone having been up there, other than some broken cobwebs that could've been broken long ago. The carpeted floor wouldn't show footprints or tracks, unfortunately, and there weren't any other signs of recent activity otherwise.

Well, I stayed up late the next night talking to my girlfriend (which is very much a common occurrence), when the noises began with gusto. After a while, I was annoyed and curious enough that I decided I'd grab a mag light and head up there.

At the top of the stairs, there are three doors, one for each of the large rooms up there - left, right, and center. First I checked the right door, as it often comes open on its down due to being warped with age, so I figured it'd be most likely for animals to invade. I tromped in and searched all about, literally everywhere in the room, leaving no drawer unopened, and found nothing.

So I closed the door tightly behind me and went across to the left, and repeated the process, with the same results.

However, once I came out, the center door was ajar. I put it up to warping of the wood, and shrugged it off in the name of being a macho man... Or something, I guess. So I went in and looked all around. Much to my lack of surprise at this point, I found nothing at all. So I turned from the dresser on the wall opposite the door when sudden I felt a sort of tendril of fright from somewhere.

It was fear coming from something in the room, and it was so foreign and strange that it made me instantly terrified as well. I thought of those monster movies where the slimy face sucking beast is always on the ceiling, and somehow managed not to wet myself. I swung my light around and scanned the ceiling and walls, and shuddered when the beam passed over something that immediately moved. I swung the light around and around, but couldn't find it again. That fear was the same, persisting, but I was personally bordering on panic.

Then, a horrific thump near the door. I reflexively point the light in that direction, and to my indescribable, paralyzing horror, I see something staring back, crouched near the floor. I'm working on accurately drawing the thing, because I can't quite seem to describe it accurately - it had several limbs in rows along what must've been a torso, all of them sort of like humanoid arms, mottled and pinkish in the flashlight beam.

Its body was black, and indistinct, like furry or shadowy despite the light, and from the very front of this mass, on a weird, bent neck, something between a skinny man's and that of a vulture, sat a vaguely humanoid, large, pale head. The mouth was like a long, freakish fissure from nearly the base of the skull, I assume, to almost the 'chin' of the skull, and on either side of it there were rows of humanoid eyes, all wide and seemingly dilated to see in the dark. If it was as dense as an average dog or person, it would've weighed, easily, 120 pounds, judging by its size.

Judging by the time that elapsed between when I went up and when I came down, ten minutes at least must've passed where this impossible thing and I stared at one another, full of fear.

Slowly, I got a handle on myself - it hadn't moved yet, and I couldn't pick up outright hostility... So I decided that something had to give, and stepped forward, just a little. Just as cautiously as I could. When I did, it backed up. So a little further I went, and it began backing toward the large walk-in closet of the room, which is on the right side of the doorway.

As it backed up, it reached up and turned the knob on the closet door, opened it, and skittered backward inside. Its movements then, I believe, made that exact rolling noise we were hearing before. It closed the door quickly behind itself, and knowing of no other alternative; I bolted downstairs and sat up until morning at the computer with a handgun and the lights in the room on.

We still hear the noises sometimes, but they're quieter now. Any ideas on what this thing could be? Anything like this encountered in any mythology or folklore that might indicate it's a specific kind of paranormal entity, or is this a truly, truly freak occurrence? Or what we should do about it, if anything?

I would very much appreciate your feedback. While I don't think we're in danger, I am still incredibly curious and afraid.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Indiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, eightofswords, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-25)
Eightofswords, That was the scariest thing I ever read, outside of science fiction or horror stories! If you still 'haunt' this site, please us know what happened about this situation!
This was such a well written, discriptive account. I am sure, that you could make a living, by writing short stories! 😉
Thank you for sharing.
kashloggi (1 stories) (5 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-07-04)
Perhaps a genetic mutation occured? Research the building, find out if anything significent (excuse the appalling spelling) ever happened there. For all you know, you could have have just dicovered a new race of homo sapien. Look into mythology, also, you could be dealing with an ancient lost creature.
Wishing you luck on finding the explanation,
Kash.
xKalmuneiu (5 stories) (19 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-05-26)
So er... Did anything ever become of this?

I feel I would be in two minds once I got over the fright. I mean, on one hand, of course it would be interesting to find out what 'it' is. But it genuinely sounds like whatever it is, is a little more fearful of you than you are of it. It doesn't sound as if it means any sort of harm, and you've said you sensed no hostility.

I mean, whatever it was, sounds like it has the intelligence to try and stay a little more quiet since you 'confronted' it, so to speak, and it's almost as if it's not trying to draw attention to itself? Maybe this thing is already aware of it's apparently strange appearance, hence it going back into hiding when you've 'found' it.

Personally, I think I would try and live in peace with this, I appreciate it may be difficult, but by the same account, if it's doing you no harm, it almost seems unfair to persecute it or try to capture it, even for the sake of research.

You never know, if you build up the guts to go and check this out again, maybe you'll find it can communicate, maybe even co-operative in giving you information?
faerielike (15 stories) (268 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-27)
Freaky Freaky freaky! All I can manage to think of such a creature! Who knows what it could have been. I think Robiscoe could be on to something though. Good luck with that thing. It doesn't sound threatening. 😊
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-18)
Now that is what I call a creepy story! I like others never have heard of anything like this but I'm not saying this isn't true. All I hope for that what ever is in that house leaves. Thanks for sharring. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
windsong (3 stories) (10 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-17)
I don't know. I can't picture that thing having ever been a human being. It sounds really bizarre. I'm glad I haven't ever had that pop up at my house.
Maybe you should grab a psychic. It might give you some clues as to who/what it is and why it's there, and even if it doesn't, it's at least worth a try.
Sorry for not being able to help further.
mlc13 (7 stories) (33 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-17)
I would move out. I don't know how you can sleep at night knowing that thing is up there. Maybe it just wants a little privacy, who knows? Maybe it was there before you were.
matticus (2 stories) (26 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-17)
gothgirl: The jersey devil is a horse headed creature as I have heard... Lol so its not that as in this recount it mentions several eyes.
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-16)
Like I said, this story is very freaky. I would take whitebuffalo up on the request and see if this thing can somehow be caught or at least seen by others.
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-16)
I am unsure what this is, but YOU are the freak of nature if you don't get the heck out of there!
Your seemingly cool actions concerning this thing are puzzling. There is just no way in the world I would even THINK of staying in or around a house if I saw something as you mentioned.
Anyway, very creepy story (and I do mean creepy).
gothgirl (32 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-16)
WOW...so you actualy found the jersy devil... Lol I'm sorry but I got nothing hope you get the ans. Your looking for
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-16)
Really? Wow, my brother is a Priest in Fortville. Do you think your grandparents would mind me coming over to check out things there? If need be, I am sure he would not mind shouting out an extra Protection Rite. Or two.
I have never heard of such a creature in existence, nor in extinction. This could be quite a find. I would bring in all of my gear, in hopes of "capturing" something for you all as proof positive. You all would not have to provide anything save for the places in which this creature has been sighted. You do not even have to leave the house.
My e-mail is on my profile page. I AM serious, and only live three hours away.
Thank you.
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-16)
EightOfSwords--Aberration is right. A most terrifying vision. You choose your words with purpose, and with your long history of extrasensory perceptions, no doubt you've had to! Your name indicates Tarot; would a reading offer insight into your encounter? One wonders why such a creature would hang around the attic (your grandparents never heard the noises before your presence?), and I think of pre-modern-medicine damaged children born and locked in attics. I use my imagination here. Just as we can't always judge a book by its cover, the visual appearance may denote a fuller actuality--say triplets who were born deformed, were locked up and died together? I'm sure I wouldn't be brave enough to try searching out more for identity, and yet its fear and timidity indicate it needs compassion--and help to get the the Light. God bless your efforts.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-15)
Hello EightofSwords. I have never heard of anything remotely similar to what you describe, whatever it is keep it in Indiana. Thank you for sharing your story with us, I enjoyed reading it very much. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊
eightofswords (1 stories) (1 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-08-15)
Ack. I titled this Second-Story Aberration initially. Aberration means, basically, freak of nature.:P
Sorcha (59 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-15)
Hi there EightofSwords,

I enjoyed reading your story! I have to say yours is not one of the more common haunts 😊. I too think its something spider-like however, like Matticus I am just an avid reader of stories. I hope you get some answers though I would be very interested to find out what it could be too!
Take care!
xxx
JPing (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-15)
That's no apparition! A freaken human-monster hybrid would be more accurate. I don't blame you for being scared.

Not meaning to sound cruel or anything but I recommend you round up some mates, arm yourself and try to capture the thing (or just call in pest control).

I'm sure scientists would be very interested in a new freak of nature.

I looked up some mythological creatures but couldn't find anything that fit your description of a human-spider other than some 'interesting' Japanese artwork depicting girls with more eyes and legs then was necessary. That and of course Spiderman.

Perhaps it'd be safer to yell CHUPUCABRA! On this one. I look forward to your drawing.
bette31 (9 stories) (127 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-08-15)
That has to be the scariest description of something that I have ever heard. While I can't shed any light on what you have described, I wish you the best of luck in trying to find out what it is!
matticus (2 stories) (26 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-08-15)
Whoa that is a truely good story and I'm terribly sorry that I cannot provide insight into it. The image I see seems to resemble a spider of some sort... But would you mind sending me a picture that you draw in an email? No pressure.
Anyways that has to be one of the best stories I have read so thankyou indeed. 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: