You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ghost Hunting :: Ghost Girls Tales: A Look At The Hangman's Tree Bar

Real Ghost Stories

Ghost Girls Tales: A Look At The Hangman's Tree Bar

 

Ghost Girls Tales: A Look at the Hangman's Tree Bar: Placerville

Ghost Girls Ghostwriter/Investigator: Paul Dale Roberts

Oh man... What time is it? Wow! It's already 11am. The date is August 31, 2008, Sunday and I have to get myself out of bed and start getting ready for a Ghost Girls investigation. Those Ghost Girls keep me busy. Just in case you have been living in a cave for half of your life, the Ghost Girls are Nancy Bradley - Celebrities Psychic, Clairvoyant, Trance Medium, Life Coach and Master Teacher. Nancy has been on several radio and TV shows. She was even the host for Haunted Hotels Series on the Travel Channel. Nancy has worked with the police on various unsolved cases and is one of the top 10 psychics in the world. She and her husband, Robert Reppert also run Gold Rush Ghosts, and another television series, Investigating the Unknown. Shannon 'Ms. Macabre' McCabe is the president of, H.P.I... She has been studying the paranormal for 14 odd years. When Nancy & Shan are together, they are the Ghost Girls, and I am their ghostwriter and one of their cast members for our new television series. Www.GhostGirls.net

What do the Ghost Girls have in store for me today? We all meet up at Nancy's Enchanted Cottage in Placerville. The Ghost Girls investigative team consists of: Nancy Bradley - Celebrities Psychic, Shannon 'Ms. Macabre' McCabe - Ghost Hunter Extraordinaire, Catherine Noble, Roxanne Camin, Eric Camin, Judy Cooper, Robert Reppert and of course me... Paul Dale Roberts. Our other team members, Jennifer Baca and Bryan Coleman, could not be there because Nancy had them on other assignments.

Our first stop is the Hangman's Tree Bar in Placerville. How ironic as we walked into this bar and set up equipment the song that was playing was 'Fear of the Dark by Iron Maiden'. Just so happens that this song is about ghosts! When we arrived, Charlotte was there from the Mountain Democrat newspaper to interview Nancy & Shannon. After they conducted the interview, the investigation and taping was underway.

Hangman's Tree, according to Nancy, was built circa 1853. It was built over the site of the original Hangman's Tree. Yep, where the bad guys saw the end of a rope. Nancy writes all about it in her book The Incredible World of Gold Rush Ghosts (The Big Picture). Here is an exert from her book: "Sitting on a bar stool in the spot where over 1,000 hangings took place in the 1800s, might well 'spook' the average person, but for the hearty customers of the Hangman's Tree lounge, it is primarily just another reminder of a time when the town frothed with prospectors and unfortunates..." As I continue to talk with Nancy, she tells me that the chopped down hangman's tree is actually located underneath the bar. Shannon tells me it is directly underneath the jukebox that is booming "Fear of the Dark".

With so many deaths at this location, you would only assume that this bar has to be haunted. Guess what? It is! We did a series of interviews at this bar and one patron said that he actually saw a man and a woman in 1800s attire sitting at the end of the bar chatting amongst themselves. They were unaware of his presence. The patron watched them for 10 minutes and then they faded into nothingness. At this bar, things get moved around, doors slam, footsteps are heard after closing hours, etc. Linda Keep, another patron, said that she was actually locked in the Hangman's Bar bathroom for 10 solid minutes. Then a few weeks later, she got locked in infamous The Vineyard House. For some reason, the ghostly entities of the Hangman's Bar and the Vineyard House love locking this woman up in bathrooms. As she recounted her experiences, she had to laugh and said she is getting used to it.

After we did a few interviews at the Hangman's Bar, we headed over to Liar's Bench Bar. This bar is also haunted, and is located just down the road on Main street. The patrons and employees that we interviewed have experienced shot glasses sliding across the bar. Boxes being moved around. As I surveyed the crowd around us, I talked with Janine Lentz who was hanging out with our group. She was here to watch us tape our episode and happens to be one of Shannon's best friends. Melissa Billups - Owner of All Around Travel Services www.AllAroundTravelServices.com and Travel Consultant came by to discuss with Nancy & Shannon about the Haunted Tour of El Dorado County. The three of them discussed the tour that will originate from San Francisco and end up here showing tourists all kinds of haunted places in Northern CA. Then of course, they were talking about the Halloween Night Costume Ball and dinner at the Sequoia Mansion/Restaurant. This party will consist of a dance contest, costume contest and lots of prizes. Nancy will be donating a free psychic reading to one lucky winner and one of the best prizes is a spot as an extra on a future Ghost Girls episode! For more information on Melissa's tour, check out www.ElDoradoCountyTours.com

After the interviews and the investigations, Shannon, Melissa and I, went over to the Sequoia Mansion per Nancy's request. Nancy wanted Shannon to explain how there is a vortex in the lady's room to Melissa. Shannon took us into the ladies restroom and had Melissa & I stand in the spot. Melissa had a creepy feeling upon entering and confirmed what Shannon had mentioned to her about the vortex spot. I stood there in the spot and felt nothing, except embarrassment for being in the ladies restroom! It makes sense that I didn't feel anything, because I NEVER feel anything... That's why Shannon & Nancy made me the ghostwriter!

Shannon goes on to explain how the Sequoia House was once called the Bee-Bennett House. Bee moved a telegraph line from Placerville to Missouri and happened to take the shortest and straightest line there. The term "Bee Line" originates from Mr. Bee. Such as, "I'm going to make a Bee Line to the bathroom to see that vortex!" Judge Bennett, the second owner of the mansion, did the first hangings in Placerville. Thus, giving the town it's pseudo name, 'Hangtown'. And just so happens that the hangings were done at the Hangman's Tree Bar spot. It is amazing how lots of the history is tied together around this town. After dining on crab cakes, artichoke dip and sipping on Cosmos and Champagne, Shannon gave Melissa and I, a tour of the Sequoia Mansion. She showed us the ballroom where the Ghost Girls sponsored Halloween Ball will be held, and the VIP areas. Then she took us upstairs where there are lots of alcoves and parlors to sit and enjoy with friends. Shannon gave us some history on little Marcus Bennett who died in the Mansion, and his nanny who also passed away there. I don't want to give it away, since it will be on the tour from El Dorado County Tours. We pointed out areas that Nancy felt were hot zones for paranormal activity. One of the employees of this mansion was interviewed by Nancy. She told Nancy and the Ghost Girls crew how she was looking into the mirror and right behind her was the apparition of a little girl staring back at her. What a very spooky place to have a Halloween Ball! And stay tuned to the Ghost Girls web site as we will be filming our third episode of Ghost Girls at the Sequoia Mansion!

For more information about Ghost Girls or the Haunted Sequoia Mansion Halloween Ball go to: www.GhostGirls.net

Paul Dale Roberts, Ghost Girls Ghostwriter/Paranormal Investigator

Www.GhostGirls.net

Www.NancyBradley.org

Www.ShannonMcCabe.com

For comments on this story:

JazmaPika@cs.com

916 203 7503

For more information on Paul Dale Roberts:

Http://www.ghostgirls.net/ghostgirlscast2.html

Other hauntings by PaulDaleRoberts

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, PaulDaleRoberts, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

princess123 (7 stories) (186 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-30)
hi PaulDaleRoberts cool story, thanks for sharing it with us!

Princess123 x ❤
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-05)
Hi paul and thank you for sharring another interesting story with us. Thank you for sharring it with us. I hope to hear from you soon and take care

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: