You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: The Last Appointment

Real Ghost Stories

The Last Appointment

 

My mother passed away in August of 1996. She and I were very close and as I was attending nursing classes when she fell ill, I was able to provide some of the health care she needed, brining us even closer.

The very last time she left the house I had taken her to a doctor's appointment. While leaving the office as we approached the elevators I asked her very bluntly if she was going to die. She stated she didn't know yet but as soon as it was decided I would be one of the first to know.

After that doctors visit she became so ill she was not able to leave the house any longer and we called in hospice care to assist.

My sister and I maintained a round the clock vigil with her, at least one of us was there at all times, except on August 21st. Mom had been resting very comfortably that day.

During the afternoon, we were preparing lunch when all of the sudden a huge gust of wind blew through the house sending papers askew, slamming the door closed and plummeting the temperature in the home about 20 degrees. August in Nebraska does not afford any breezezs let alone a gust of wind. After a couple of seconds, the wind subsided and the house gradually returned to warm again.

I looked at my sister and she at me. We ran to mom's bed side to check on her. She was still resting comfortably. The hospice nurse arrived shortly after this episode. After talking with the nurse it was determined that mom was as comfortable as was possible and it would be several weeks yet.

The nurse offered to stay with mom for an hour or so should my sister and I have some errands to do. I decided I would run home throw a load of laundry in and change the linens on my children's beds, take a shower and come back. My sister's plan was pretty similar.

I arrived home and ran upstairs to strip the beds. I was making a mountain of the discarded linens in the hall way between the bed rooms so I could carry them down all at once.

After stripping the last bed, I suddenly became very anxious and nauseated. I went into the hallway to retrieve the linens. As I picked up the pile of laundry, I looked up and my mom was standing in front of me.

She looked at me and smiled. She said: I'm sorry; I didn't get to tell you before it happened. I love you, then she was gone. I stood there blinking for a good 30 seconds. I then dropped the laundry and ran down the stairs.

Just as I grabbed my keys to head back to moms, the phone rang. I was asked to return to mom's house immediately as she had just passed...

Other hauntings by KimSouthO

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Nebraska

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, KimSouthO, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

MAPO (19 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-02)
Something like this happened to me. Wi was at the hospital with my great grandma, she was senial (sorry I really can't spell) and went into a coma. At the hospital we wanted to see if she would come out of it. So we (the older family members and myself) waited every day. We were all together and she sat up real fast, layed back down, smiled and said bye. She died the next day. They said it eas nervs but I don't believe that
ghosthuntermk2 (16 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-20)
as everyone will say I'm sory four your loss but its life we all die and I believe we go to a better place and she will always 😊
courtneyOMGG (12 stories) (179 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-20)
I'm so sorry for the loss of your mum.
I have heard of this sort of thing happening alot, it's even happened to me.
When my grandma passed, she was in a coma, and had been for around 2 months.
She was in a nursing home and my mum, my mums brother, and me were sitting by her side when all of a sudden she awoke from the coma, looked at all of us, smiled and then passed.
It is so incredible that they somehow know when their time is up
Harperllen82 (1 stories) (33 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-04)
Oh Kim, I haven't been on this site much latley, but I have been checking in from time to time just to see if you had posted any new stories. I have to say this one has brought about a wave of very different emotions. I to am so sorry for your loss. On the other hand what an amazing thing to get the opportunity for a loved one to say goodbye. If we could all be so fortunate... I am very moved, to say the least. Its amazing how some people are so in tune with the other side. I myself am not so much, but I like to think the ones I love that have passed watch over me. Wonderful story, thank you for sharing!
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-04)
I'm terribly sorry for your loss Kim as I know that losing a dear parent is something time cannot heal that well. I'm happy though that your mom was relieved from her suffering and brought you the message of after-life. Coming to you in her spirit form was her way of saying she's still around-she is and always will be 'alive'.
No matter how delayed her message was to you, I think she kept her promise-she came back to deliver it to her beloved daughter. She was a lucky woman Kim to have two loving children turning the world around so that she will never be lonely but instead, well taken care of and comforted. You were lucky too to have a mother who brought out the best in both of you.

May she rest in peace.
bette31 (9 stories) (127 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-04)
KimSouthO-thank you for sharing this with us. As you have told me before, sometimes our loved ones don't want to leave us while we are watching. How true that is. Now I have a better understanding of that statement, not only in my own situation, but in knowing that you have lived it also. Thank you so much!
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-04)
Hello my dear friend Kim. I am so glad that you sharred this remarkable story with us but at the same time I am sad. I am very sorry for your loss. This is one thing that time can't heal. But memories can brighten up our days. Remember and Charish the time you spend with your mother. It didn't just bring you closer to her. It brought the family closer to each other. And your mom would have realy liked that. I wish there was something I could say that would help but I know that there is no help needed here. But I would call this story a miracle. The passing of your mother is always sad but she wanted to let you know how much she loves you. I know this story helped me understand somethings and I hope this story helps others as it has helped me. And I thank you for that with all my heart my dear friend. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-03)
Kisho,
What a beautiful sentiment, I know that some people are aware that their time is at hand and they let the loved ones know.
Jmak,
I am certain your father would have been very concerned had you NOT picked up your chilld from day care. As far as my mohter visiting any other family members, that is not something that would be admitted by anyone. These types of occurances are not to be discussed in my family.

Lilblackpom,
Thanks for taking the time to read! I am truly blessed to know my mother is at peace.

God Bless!
lilblackpom (13 stories) (218 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-02)
Hello Kim. It is amazing how a loved one will appear before one of their beloved ones after passing to relay a message to them. What a wonderful visit to remember. ❤
Jmak (6 stories) (156 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-02)
Wow, thank you for sharing this with us. I am sorry for the loss of your mother but I am glad to hear that she still comes to visit you from time to time. My father passed away while I was getting my baby from daycare and my siblings have never forgiven me for leaving his side. Has your mother visited any of your other relitives? God bless.
Kisho (2 stories) (60 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-02)
That reminds me of my grandma. She'd been in a care center for a month or so, unable to really talk or move for the last two weeks before she passed. By the end there was pretty much no one home. She'd been battling with cancer, and was finally succumbing to it. My mom, her sister and both brothers were there constantly watching over her. One day, they were all watching tv, when grandma sat up in bed all of a sudden, looked around the room with a smile, said perfectly clearly "Oh good, you're all here. I love you all so very much. Good bye" and laid back down. Moments later she was gone.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-02)
Tonith,
It is amazing. I know my mother was not ready to go, or at least was frightened to go. I do know now and from other visits, she is at peace and the pain is gone. I am truly blessed to have had a mother like she and to have her visit me and put my mind and a lot of my fears at ease.

Thanks for taking the time to read!

God Bless!
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-02)
Wow. Sometimes they need us to leave before they can pass. I have seen this happen so many times I do believe it to be true. I am so glad your mother was able to say goodbye to you in her own way. It must be such a comfort to know she is happy and whole once again. It's stories like this that validate what I already know. We do not die. Only the body does. When my mother passed my 2 sisters and myself had an encounter with her spirit. While it was comforting to all of us my eldest sister really had no belief in an afterlife. She does now.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: