You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: This Is Why People Don't Remember Their Dreams

Real Ghost Stories

This Is Why People Don't Remember Their Dreams

 

I have another story posted that mentions my maternal grandmother, who I never knew. This story involves my paternal grandmother who I knew very well.

In retrospect, the following story is actually funny. But while these things were occurring they were terrifying to me.

Around the age of nine, I started having vivid dreams that were more like nightmares. From my earliest memories I had difficulty falling asleep and staying there. So I tried not to pay attention to my dreams because I was never really sure if I was actually asleep. Even as a young child I suppose I believed that my imagination was taking over.

The dreams became more like premonitions with the exception of details that didn't fit in. For instance, I would dream that someone was going to die, but in the dream everyone was wearing their pajamas and had blue hair. However, someone in the person's family would die within days of my dreams.

These bad dreams continued through my early twenties and many of them were only dreams - nothing more. I am a hypnotherapist now, and I'm pretty familiar with the dream states that we experience. So while some of these were spooky they were also fairly normal, in that we all have goofy dreams now and then.

Through the years some of these instances have been chilling and others have been foreboding. But none were quite as weird as the dreams I had before my paternal grandmother's death. She was in a nursing home in another city and had Alzheimer's for several years. Unbeknownst to me, she had suffered a stroke several days before her death and was in a coma. During that time, I had two dreams two days in a row that left me empty and cold.

The first one was goofy and disconnected like all the other dreams I'd had in the past, but it was alarming enough to get my attention. Since I couldn't determine what it was about, it really set me on edge. The second dream was a little more comprehensible.

I was in my own house and an old woman was dressed in white, standing in front of the oven. I didn't recognize her. She turned to me and said in a desperate tone, "Look at me. It's killing me. Look at me." She looked like she was already dead. There was also a young man with me, who I seemed to know and connect with as if he were a brother. But I'd never seen him before. Right about now I should add that I've never used drugs, and it is okay to laugh at this story.

The next morning my grandmother passed away, and then it made sense. I didn't think anything about those dreams until a few months later. I figured that was the reason for them even though they were weird and disjointed. It made sense to me when I learned about Grandma's coma, that she could call on us at will to prepare us for her death. If I'd known about it before the dreams, I think I wouldn't have been afraid.

Three months after my grandmother's death, one of her closest, dearest friends passed. She was one of the kindest souls I'd ever known. However, I didn't really know her that well, and didn't maintain contact with her. I was actually closer to two of my grandmother's other friends.

One Sunday morning I woke up but never really stopped sleeping. I started to have yet another dream that, not surprisingly, made no sense at all. I was in college when this happened, but in the dream I was on a high school campus decorating for a school dance. I'd walked into the principal's office to get something from a closet. When I turned around I saw my grandmother coming through the doorway. I was happy to see her but really surprised, too. She put her hands on my shoulders and with a big smile proceeded to tell me excitedly that I would be joining her in the fall - not sure if it's an action or a season - and that it was beautiful where she was and that I would love it. But it wasn't my grandmother who was talking to me. It was her friend.

That time, my dad got chills from my dream, and they got worse when his brother called that evening to tell him that this dear friend had passed away the night before.

Since I was actually closer to some of her other friends, I assume Grandma hopped on the closest vessel possible to deliver her message. And I don't know if it matters, but she died during the Fall season. I, however, am still happily alive twenty years later.

Other hauntings by kimberly

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, kimberly, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

kirkylicious (3 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-09)
i also have this dream before when I was still in high school. In my dream my mom passed away. One day her friend visited her not knowing that my mom already died and she even bought with her a pair of shoes that my mom likes, and she ask if my mom is around but I never told her that my passed away already, and so I left the shoes in my moms grave... But this was all a dream... And we end up always fighting until this day... Can anyone tell me the meaning of my dream?...

Thnx a lot,
Kirkylicious 😊
JessicaWishon1989 (6 stories) (57 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-15)
joining her in the fall? Wow, that's a little scary! I am glad yur still doing well! But that's creepy, I don't know if I would be able to handle a dream like this! Good luck! I hopr yur not still having these dreams! God bless!

With love ❤
<33Jessica
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-13)
Sorry to hear about your grandma. Your grandmother might have came to you, to give you a message that her friend was going to pass.
Thanks for sharing your story. 😊

*Vicki* ❤
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-11)
Hi Kimberley. Its great to see you here again. I believe that the way you are thinking about the messages is correct. I think you are the one who will be getting the messages from others from the other side. I'm very sorry that you don't want them but I believe thay still will come. Dreams are ways that spirits can cotact us. I personaly never had one but if I did I don't think I would even know. Having this gift/curse may be difficult but try not getting scared and contol your emotions. Spirits can feed of of fear. And then they have more energy. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
kimberly (2 stories) (23 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-10)
Hey Taya,
that's how my dreams started. Consult someone now before you start losing sleep. 😐
kimberly (2 stories) (23 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-10)
You guys are right. I hadn't ever thought about it like that. I always thought something was wrong with me and that I would become fodder for the eternal flames of hell if I couldn't make it stop. But, since I'm religious I know that we need our dead and that they still love us. Its perfectly natural to feel them near us. Maybe I just didn't have a good enough relationship with my family to appreciate seeing them after they moved on 😆. I'm really glad I posted these stories because simply writing them down made me understand them better. Getting your feedback makes them even clearer! Thank you!
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-10)
Kimberly:the reason behind any visitation varies depending on the spirit's or ghost's need. Regardless of whether you're family or not, if you're able to perceive them, they will come either to send a message through you or to ask for assistance. Sometimes, even in real life, we choose a third person to send a message to someone we love and sometimes we do that because we know that this 3rd person can handle it better than we can-we know or hope that they can communicate that specific something in a much better and clearer way than we can. Sometimes we choose a third person to do that in order to 'balance' or 'weaken' the effect a 'direct' encounter would have. Saying something ourselves may be more hurtful to the ones concerned than sending a letter, making a phone call or having someone else deliver our message.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-10)
I don't know if this is a gift or a curse. Guess it depends on the way you use it. Obviously you are the one they can contact through dreams. Premonitions that come true are not just dreams but messages in dreams. For whatever reason you are able to pick up on them. Some people are just good conduits.
taya (2 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-09)
😕 it seams like dreams I have. Its really strange but nobody died in my dream but I had a dream that my lil sis got killed by a wolf it was really creepy.
kimberly (2 stories) (23 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-09)
Rhodes68,
I choose to not to use my "gift". It scares me. I think its natural for our family members to make themselves known to us. But, I don't know why someone outside of my family would stop and chit chat from the other side. But as we both agree, her friend was a vessel. I'm lucky that I don't have these experiences often anymore. Other things may happen, but at least I can finally sleep at night these days! 😁 Thank you for your input!
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-09)
"I assumed grandma hopped on the closest vessel possible to deliver her message..." That's exactly my evaluation of your dreams but how chilling regardless of all! You are obviously gifted enough to speak to the departed ones. Cherish your gift but use it wisely.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: