You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Demons / Possessions / Exorcisms :: Encounter With A Demon

Real Ghost Stories

Encounter With A Demon

 

I have posted before about being sensitive to spirits, and this incident happened when I was probably about 7 years old. My mom's step-mother had children who were only a few years older than myself and I used to stay over there a lot during the summer. They had just moved to an old farm house and the girls were using the front room as their bedroom (I think that it was supposed to have been a living room, the house had been added-on to several times).

My aunts (weird to call them that since we were so close in age!) had been telling me ghost stories and were trying to scare me by telling me that someone had been killed in the house. All the "good" stuff kids do to each other right? They had even gotten a candle and were trying to convince me to help them perform a seance so they could talk to the person who was in the house. Of course, I got scared and wouldn't sit with them, but watched while they tried to "talk" to the ghost. After a while they gave up and we went on to do other things.

Later that night, we finally went to bed. I insisted on sleeping in between my aunts in their bed because they had told me that if I slept on the edge and if my hand or foot hung over the side of the bed, the devil would get me and drag me to Hell (I was very impressionable! I still won't sleep with my hands or feet hanging over the side of the bed and I'm 32 now!)

During the night, I woke up because the blankets were being pulled off my legs. I looked at the foot of the bed and there was a dark figure standing there. (It still gives me cold chills to think about it) I was convinced that it was the devil and that he was waiting for one of us to put our foot off the bed! I was too scared to even move. I just shut my eyes and eventually shivered myself back to sleep.

I refused to sleep in that room again; I stayed in their mom's room after that when I spent the night. Eventually, the girls switched rooms with their mom. I told them later, when we were older, what had happened to me that night and they admitted that they had seen things in the room also and had to convince their mom to switch rooms with them.

Other hauntings by tmari76

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from North Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, tmari76, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

AsianChick1997 (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-27)
That is scary! And i'm also scare to sleep with my foot or hand hanging off the bed.

Trying to talk to the ghost is nothing to be playing or messing around with. It can be serious and bad things will happen.
kitkatkitty (4 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-01)
I don't think it was the Devil himself. It may have been another negative entity, or just a malicious ghost, or even just an overreactive imagination, but I think that the stories your aunts told you had just affected your belief in what you thought it was. It very well may have been an entity though, seeing as your aunts tried to do a seance and obviously might not have ended it properly. Thus possibly inviting something in.
JimD (431 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-25)
It really does sound demonic; but, it may have been an overactive imagination also. That is possible. On actual cases, I only assume the Devil when all else has been exhausted, i.e. Fabrication, substance abuse, psych. History, some natural explanation. Even then, the person could be lying, but normally someone on my team will see something that provides independent verification of the presence of a demon.

I helped liberate a house recently, via Catholic Holy water and blessed salt, and the homeowner later complained that too much blessed salt was sprinkled in each room. The home is now calm. People are strange at times, aren't they? God bless you and I hope all is good. Dukes2352atAOL.com.
tmari76 (3 stories) (9 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-08)
Luca, oh yes... I know! Once my younger sister and cousins were born, I got to "move up" and participate in the tormenting! LOL

Rhodes68, you are probably right. The only reason that I assume it was evil was the negative energy I could feel from it... Probably didn't help hearing all the stories from earlier that evening! When they switched rooms, Nancy never mentioned anything to us. I'll have to ask my mom if Nancy had ever said anything about it to her. (Nancy passed away earlier this year.) I do know that the previous renters of the house had been evicted because of problems with drugs. When my mom was helping them clean out the house before they moved in, she found a ouija board in one of the rooms. (yes, this was quite a while ago... And they had moved out of the house since then.)

I agree that it was most likely an overactive imagination, but given the fact that I had experienced spirits before (and many more as I grew up)...it just makes me wonder! And then, with my aunts experiencing things in the room later... I would like to know more about the house's history. It was an older house that had been part of a large farm (it wasn't the original farm house; that house was located across the road).

Thanks for all the input! 😊
Luca (1 stories) (83 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-06)
Hehehe, I would've gotten along well with your aunts, I loved teasing my friends with scary stuff as a child!

Anyway, my guess is that the blankets were pulled off your legs by you or one of your sleeping cousings, one of your legs could've gotten tangled on the sheets and once you tried to move your leg, it pulled the blanket away.

As for the dark figure, could've been anything, a shadow formed by a light coming from the outside?
ghostseer (41 stories) (408 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-06)
From what I understand this happened a long time ago, and it hasn't happened since, right?. I agree with rhodes68 on many points, it may not have been a demon, but a curious onlooker without the ability to manifest itself beyond the shadow stage. I would let it go, don't give too much power to this childhood fear. It was a once in a lifetime memory, but no need to be afraid any longer. Are you a spiritual person? If not, I would learn to pray. There is tremendous power in prayer. It will get you past the anxiety of this memory, maybe give you some peace. Blessings, Ghostseer. Feel free to write me if you have any questions.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-06)
It would have been interesting had someone done a bit of research about the history of the house itself and the land around it.

Why do you think it was a demon? The figure was seen observing you. Just because it was dark, it doesn't mean it was demonic-it might just mean that it could not accumulate sufficient energy to fully manifest or it chose to appear as a shadow in an attempt to conceal its identity.

When your step mother switched rooms with your step sisters, do you know of any encounters she might have had?

Had anything bad ever happened that could be attributted to the spirit in the house?
Thank you tmari76

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: